Having VPN problems?

I have a VPN router - linksys BEFVP41

If I plug it into my desktop, I will get a 'power' light and an 'internet' light, but no ethernet light.

If I plug it into my laptop it works flawlessly

If I unplug it from my desktop, plug it into my laptop (ethernet light turns on), then disconnect it from my laptop (ethernet light turns off) and re-connect it to my desktop, ethernet light will come on and will work fine. (until i turn the power off, then I have to go through the whole un/re-plug thing).

I can't figure out what is going on - how come no ethernet light comes on when I plug it into my desktop???

Let's start from the top...

1)Bad NIC in the Desktop,
2)Misconfigured NIC in the Desktop,
3)Bad Cable between Router and Desktop,

1) Replace the NIC
2) Check the settings on the NIC in the desktop, It might be having problems negotiating a speed. Try hard setting it to 10mb/HalfDuplex and see what happens.
3) Replace Cable.

EDIT: After re-reading, My vote is #2. Hard set the negotiation 1ast and see if that fixes the issue. Also might try a firmware reflash.

I agree with above post...it's not a "vpn problem"...it's a negotiation problem. Start with NIC, also look at cable, and believe it or not...I've seen a firmware flash resolve auto negotiation problems on LAN ports on consumer grade broadband routers.

Apparently it was a negotiation problem - I tried all the settings, they all failed except for Force 100 full duplex.

What i can't figure ot is why, for example, force 10 full duplex, or force 100 half duplex, or even autonegotation failed to pick it up?

What i can't figure ot is why, for example, force 10 full duplex, or force 100 half duplex, or even autonegotation failed to pick it up?

Sometimes you just run into an incompatiblity.
Can be due to...
*bad drivers
*bad firmware
*bad patch cable
*two different brands of hardware that just don't get along....

Sometimes with computers..things don't always work like they should. It happens...can't spend too much time losing sleep over it.

Back