• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Having trouble OCing this Opteron.

mtx

Gawd
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Messages
717
Ive been running my new 146 CABGE 0536VPAW opteron on default past few days and now ive finally had some time to play around with it, but things aren't looking great.. anyways, my goal right now is to hit 2.7ghz stable..

and i thought i achieved that, but the minute i opened up IE/IM programs, my computer restarted.. and this was AFTER I did a full 32m super pi test with prime95 small ftt running in the background WITHOUT any problems..take a look at this ss: http://img479.imageshack.us/my.php?image=opteron2700mhz3ow.jpg
why didnt it go unstable during the strenuous testing? thats my question.. right now whenever i try to do 2.7ghz again, it either resets on desktop, resets on startup of applications, resets in games or benches, bsods, or simply doesnt post.. ive run out of ideas to try :|.. and i based all my settings on OldGuy's post (he has same mobo/ram as me).. this is what i used:


Genie BIOS Settings:

CPU Overclock in MHz = 270
Hammer Fid Control = X10
AGP Overclock in MHz = 68
LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio = 3X
AMD K8 Cool and Quiet = Disable

CPU VID Control = 1.525v
CPU Voltage Adjusting = +0.2v (undervolts so bios shows ~1.6v)
Chipset Voltage Control = 1.85v
Memory Voltage Control = 2.8v (overvolts and shows ~2.88V)
AGP Voltage Control = 1.6v


DRAM Configuration:

Memory Hole for PCI MMIO = Disable
Max Memory Overclock (MHz) = Auto (200)
1T/2T Memory Timing = 2T
Cas# Latency (Tcl) = 2.5
Ras# to Cas# Delay (Trcd) = 4
Min Ras# Active Time (Tras) = 7
Row Precharge time (Trp) = 3
Write Recovery Time (Twr) = 2
Ras#-to-Ras# Delay (trrd) = 4
Row Refresh Time (Trfc) = 13
Row Cycle Time (Trc) = 11
Write-to-Read Delay Twtr) = 2
Read-to-Write Delay (Trwt) = 2
Refresh Rate (Tref) = Auto
Write Cas Latency (Twcl) = 1
Max Asynchronous Latency = 8ns
Read Preamble = 6.0ns
Dynamic Idle Cycle Limit = 256
DDR Output Driving = Weak Drive
DDR DQ Drive Strength = 50% Reduction
ECC Function = Disable

Here's some information about my RAM... it's supposedly brainpower (has the silver pins in the back), it's TCCD and it is currently being run on the orange slots.. i also did 10 loops of test #5 from MEMTEST and no errors have been reported for up to 280Mhz 2.5-4-3-7 @ 2.7V (actual is 2.79V since it overvolts).. so the above settings SHOULD work.. the SS i showed earlier of super pi being successful is with the ram run on a divider, 5:6 i believe...ALSO, 1T does not work with my board, so i can do 2T only, its just too buggy with 1T.. anyways, ive tried uppin voltages for vcore, i went up as much as 1.525v + 0.3v = 1.825v which is suppose to be ~1.7v but even that didnt work..

So the question is, why cant I get 2.7Ghz!?
 
LOL.. bad but still manages to hit 2.7 for most people..
 
Another interesting thing I found..

I used the above settings, 300*9, something around 1.6v real voltage, 2.9v vdimm.. put it on 2.5-4-7-3 on a 2:1 divider so ram runs at 150mhz.... i run 3dm01 and it passes.. I do the same but put my ram on 2-2-5-2 on 3:2 divider at 200mhz (these are stock settings) and 3dm01 doesnt pass, it stops at a black screen and i reboot... I do the same again and put my ram as 2.5-4-7-3 on a 6:5 divider at 250mhz and of course 3dm01 produces same black screen.....

Maybe my RAM is bad now.......
 
i'm assuming you mean 2:3 divider right? running your ram with a 3:2 divider would actually run your ram at 450mhz... assuming you are running a 2:3 divider, that would actually put your ram at 192mhz, which is right around stock and your timings should work.... run cpu-z and see what speed it says your ram is actually running at.
 
yes, i am running my ram under stock settings, which SHOULD work...

this is getting even more strange now..

just ran two Prime instances at once (~4 hours), Small and Large, and SuperPi 16mb in the background and its still going strong...now hopefully it can run 3DM01SE without problems...



Maybe it IS stable?
 
4hour prime stable is pretty stable. The normal standard is 6 to 12 hours though. See if it goes through that. If it does, then you are set.
 
Anyways, I just played 5 minutes of FEAR after taking that SS and I got a BSOD... wow.. so it goes thru 4+ hrs of double prime, super pi, 3DMark all successful.. and screws up in FEAR..played 25 mins of NHL2006 but that went fine... so frustrating :\
 
mtx said:
Anyways, I just played 5 minutes of FEAR after taking that SS and I got a BSOD... wow.. so it goes thru 4+ hrs of double prime, super pi, 3DMark all successful.. and screws up in FEAR..played 25 mins of NHL2006 but that went fine... so frustrating :\

I have these issues too with my current setup (in sig) and my previous setup (difference is I had a nF3 ultra-D). No matter what I did on the NF3, I couldn't get above 300mhz HTT stable. 300mhz was 100% stable. Sometimes at 305mhz, I can prime and super pi fine, however when I played BF2 or the like, it would crash.

I now have a NF4 and I'm still getting those issues. It seems that it doesn't have anything to do with the motherboard but the memory controller of my CPU. Still trying to figure it out though.
 
a cpu is only going to clock so high - and each one is going to give different end results. As long as you have eliminated everything else - it's a simple matter of your cpu cannot run that fast.
mtx said:
So the question is, why cant I get 2.7Ghz!?
 
BTW, I cant even OC right now. I just cleared the CMOS, went into Windows, restart my computer, and tried diong the settings before that gave me 2.7ghz, but it wont even post on that.. the EXACT same settings that worked few hours ago no longer work now.. WTF IS GOING ON!
 
mtx said:
BTW, I cant even OC right now. I just cleared the CMOS, went into Windows, restart my computer, and tried diong the settings before that gave me 2.7ghz, but it wont even post on that.. the EXACT same settings that worked few hours ago no longer work now.. WTF IS GOING ON!

I can't do my 2.6ghz suicide screenshot on my CPU anymore... hell, I can even get 300x8 to post.
 
Sigh.

Right now, I can't even OC this **@)#(* at all. All the settings I used to produce the screenshots in my previous posts - I can't even use them anymore. I try to set them in bios and nothing POSTs. Is something dead?
 
I'd check your RAM settings with Memtest86 Test#5 and Test#8 - particularly Test#8. If your RAM can't survive multiple error-free passes of Test#8, your system is likely to crash with page fault errors.

I've had RAM settings that will run Prime95 for an hour, but will crash the system immediately when a large page-write is encountered (print a Windows test page, visit a net site that invokes Macromedia Flash, etc.).

Hope this helps!
 
i tested my ram on 270mhz 2.5-4-3-7 2.8V and it ran memtest for 7 hours straight.. i am pretty sure it works..
 
you know what you should do? Change your mobo to DFI NF4 Ultra or SLI Guarntee you will overclocks better
 
Back
Top