Having trouble installing windows

bobzdar

[H]ard|Gawd
Putting together a computer for my mom using my old s939 x2 3800 and a Tyan Tomcat K8E s2865 (onboard ati rage xl graphics) with latest bios, 4gb of ddr, 80gb IDE HDD. Trying to install vista x64 and it boots and gets to the loading windows screen with the green bar and just gets stuck there, bar keeps moving but I left it for two days and it was still there. Trying in safe mode shows the last thing loaded was disk.sys and then it just sits there. Here's what I've tried:

Memory in every configuration I could think of, currently just have a single 1gb stick in the computer. Ran the mem test from windows boot menu, no problems.

Slowed down the HT speed, reduced memory timings, slightly bumped up voltage to the chipset, memory and cpu.

Disabled all on-board devices (SATA, IDE, floppy, audio, etc.) and tried to install with a usb dvd drive and the HDD in a usb enclosure.

Tried it the other way using IDE only and disabling USB, SATA etc.

Tried every combination of master/slave for the dvd and hdd I could think of, including both on their own IDE channels.

Installed the 8800gt from my rig.

Tried Vista x32. Don't have any other windows discs around, though I could burn a win7 dvd and try, though I really don't feel like buying another o/s.

Same thing happens every time.

One other strange thing I noticed is that the temp and voltage report in the bios is off. All voltages reading the same and temps showing 8C. The CPU comes up properly on POST, no problem codes shown, CPU heatsink is cool to the touch so it's not an overheat problem. I can boot to DOS using a mem stick. Can't boot to command prompt using the windows disk, locks up in the same place (after disk.sys). The only thing I've found doing searches is that wireless nic cards can cause a hang, but this doesn't have wireless. It does have dual gigabit NICs, so I will try disabling the LAN2 NIC, but see no way of disabling the primary. I'd appreciate any ideas (PSU is brand new 500w).

No, but I unplugged it completely and tried to see if I could get to a command prompt or something and had no luck. The hard drive doesn't seem to be getting accessed at all during the process. I did hook it up to another computer via the usb enclosure and reformatted it, which went off without a hitch. Maybe I should run a checkdisk on it and try again?

No, but I unplugged it completely and tried to see if I could get to a command prompt or something and had no luck. The hard drive doesn't seem to be getting accessed at all during the process. I did hook it up to another computer via the usb enclosure and reformatted it, which went off without a hitch. Maybe I should run a checkdisk on it and try again?

If it's for sure not the HD or RAM then I would definitely suspect the motherboard. I suppose you could try a different CPU. Is the mobo still under warranty?

Back