Having trouble installing VMWare Workstation as 64 bit

morningreis

[H]ard|Gawd
Running Windows 10 Pro x64. I was trying to install a 64 bit OS today, when it told me that it won't run because the host is not configured for it. After looking into it for 30 seconds, I realized that VMWare had installed as 32 bit, and I cannot figure out why or how to install it as 64 bit. I have uninstalled and run the installer again, but the installer just runs as 32 bit.

I have a 64 bit OS and processor, and I'm just reinstalling this after a fresh hard drive wipe and reinstall of Windows. This was never a problem before on VMWare 11 or 12 before I wiped my drive.

I don't want to use VirtualBox or anything else, because I like VMWare and it's what I have a license for.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Actually it seems that some other software that (I think) has 64 bit versions are also installing as 32 bit, but not all.

Last edited:
12.1.0, I have the installer for 12.0.0 also, either will work for my purposes. 11.1.3 does the same thing.

Last edited:
VMWare Workstation 12 is 64 bit only. It requires a 64 bit CPU and host OS. In fact, there is no 32 bit version of VMWare Workstation 12 available.

Why do you think that VMWare Workstation is being installed as 32 bit? Because it places its installation files in the \Program Files (x86)\ directory?

What's the exact error message that you are receiving when trying to install the 64 bit VM guest?

EDIT:

Run this https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?dlg=processor_check_5_5_dt&baseCode=dCpiQGhkYmRAZQ and report back what the message that pops up says.

Ok Well I have the problem solved sort of.

The Task Manager says the installer and VMWare are running in 32 bit mode and also because it's installing to \Program Files (x86)\ directory.

I removed Hyper-V, and everything is still running in 32 bit mode, but I am able to install a 64 bit OS now and allocate it over 4GB of RAM which is why I wanted it in the first place. The tool you posted said I'm good to go, but this is after disabling Hyper-V of course.

I guess some elements of the VMWare binaries are actually 64 bit after all. The "VMWare Workstation VMX" process which is doing disk writes right now (because I'm installing the OS is 64 bit.

Thanks for your help!

Hyper-V didn't cross my mind at all. I remember reading a long time ago that Hyper-V and VMWare Workstation don't mix, so I've never honestly tried.

So that's what happens. With Hyper-V and VMWare Workstation installed simultaneously, the latter was running in nested mode, which would only allow 32 bit guest VMs. Makes sense, I guess. I'd figured it wouldn't run at all.

Back