Having trouble accessing the bios

xBanzai89

Supreme [H]ardness
I am having issues getting into the BIOS on my Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming motherboard. When the computer starts up and I hit the delete button to access the bios the computer totally locks up, but on some occasions I have managed to get in (rarely). I was able to install Windows 10 Pro on the computer successfully and use the computer without issue be it gaming or just browsing the net. I did discover disconnecting both the SSD and HDD made the computer boot into the BIOS, so as of now this is the only method I have of gaining access for sure.

This board was recently released and there is no new BIOS updates for me to attempt to flash to. I have switched the ram in and out to be sure that the RAM is not causing. Tried different keyboards just in case this was causing an issue. I am clueless as to what else I can do at this point. Scoured the Internet for hours and have found others to have this issue, but I never found a definite fix. Any thoughts on this?

Maybe Windows 10 UEFI weirdness combined with timing weirdness with the X99 chipset. Maybe try different USB port. Maybe Fast Boot setting is enabled. Maybe flaky CPU. Test the RAM with memtest or windows memory test anyways. Test the motherboard BIOS RAM. Pull all drives and see if it makes a difference. Some motherboards have strange features that let the USB ports act like chargers for phones etc. Make sure your RAM timings are actually set proper. That's all that comes to mind.. Good luck.

Just an update my GTX 1080 came in today and to my delight I am able to get right into the BIOS without issue now. Given this my 290 must of ran into issues with this particular mobo for whatever reason, never displayed this issue on my other mobos. Regardless this saved me from driving to Micro Center and swapping to another board. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that nothing else goes bad.

Back