having to replace an old problem. help!

Wesley1357

Limp Gawd
how often do you guys replace your main drive (the one with windows in it), i have lost count i guess this is my 13th-15th drive i will have to replace, i don't know what i do wrong, maybe i just use my computer too much? this is my 2nd or 3rd this year.

i going to get a raptor one, say, is the 36gb 10k raptor sold to this day still with the old (first) raptor, is the 74gb one faster better, and which 10k sata drive brand do you guys recommend?

thanks,
andré.

If you've replaced that many drives, you may want to look at what might be causing the issue. Possibly a power supply putting out bad voltage or bad voltage from the wall. I would recommend shelling out some money for a quality power supply and a nice ups to condition the power going into your system. Honestly, I've lost 1 harddrive in 10 years of owning my own computer, i've never even had a problem with ebay drives failing.

And yes, the 74 gig raptors are faster and quieter than the 36 gig raptors.

defakto said:
And yes, the 74 gig raptors are significantly faster and quieter than the 36 gig raptors.
Fixed :) - Also, the 73GB is significantly more cost effective.

To expand on what Defakto said as possible causes of frequent drive failure, examine the airflow in your case. Heat buildup can cause drives to die young as well.

psu!? i never thought about that. that can be the problem right there. thank you very much. do you guys recommend those expensive $200 psus? i bought a 620w thinking about the power (and been a little stupid buying cheap). is that 510w cooling something any good?

i just install today a new 3 fan case, very nice look.

Wesley1357 said:
psu!? i never thought about that. that can be the problem right there. thank you very much. do you guys recommend those expensive $200 psus? i bought a 620w thinking about the power (and been a little stupid buying cheap). is that 510w cooling something any good?.
See Power Supply FAQ

Might want to also check you HD temps using Speedfan or Motherboard Monitor, or maybe the utility that might come with you mobo. You definitley have a problem, I've got drives that have been running for 3 years now.

I recommend the big names in power supplys like antec and pc power and cooling, fortron. Do check the temps too like was mentioned, that could cause problems too.

Back