Having Some Trouble

icehokplyr

Limp Gawd
I am going to first tell you how I have things set up so you can try to help me out as best as you can.
About a month ago, I put together my computer. I have a Lian Li mid-size case, an AI7 Abit Motherboard, Nvidia GeForce 6800 Video Card 128MB GDDR 256 bit, Antec 550W Power Supply, Intel Pentium 4/3.0E GHz 800MHz Processor, A Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu Pure Coper Heat Sink, Two sticks or Corsair XMS Extreme Memory at 512 MB each, A Floppy drive, 80 Gig Wester Digital Hard Drive, A Lite-On 52X32X52 CD-WR Drive, A DVD+RW/-RW Drive, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS PCI Sound Card, 4 fans and a fan control panel. I also have my old hard drive in. A 40 Gig Western Digital.

I set it all up and my machine worked great until a few days ago. I kept getting an error from windows xp pro saying there was a serious error, everytime I restarted the machine. A day before this, I went to the Abit-usa website and downloaded a USB driver. Usb2.0.2 or something like that. I thought that was the problem so I uninstalled the driver and deleted it from the machine, and restarted three times with no problems. I went to work yesterday and got home this morning. (I'm a firefighter and work 24 Hr. shifts). I tried to start up and got a beeping sound. I checked all the fans and everything was spinning fine. I went into bios and made my first boot with the CD drive and put the widows xp pro cd in and ran a repair on the machine. It seemed to work and booted right up. I went back into bios and set the first boot back to Hard Disk and started up again with no problems.

Am I having some power problems? Am I running to much on the north bridge? Should I re-wire things and take out the old hard drive? Should I reset bios with the CCMOS function? I'm lost. Please help?
Thanks in advance.

gwai lo said:
check the event viewer?

what kind of beeping sound?

It would beep for about two seconds (beeeeeeeeeeeep) and then stop. Then again then stop. I hit the power button and then it went to the start up screen and then said my computer attempt to start windows failed and to prevent any damage to the computer, I should try to boot in safe mode.

I tried but it didn't work. so I did what I typed above.

Thanks for the reply bro.

It also said that a driver was bad. I got this message:
Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Any ideas?

the beeping could be memory problems..i'd get memtest and run it overnight to check out the RAM.

the other bsod sounds like the USB driver did something funky and could be causing conflicts...try checking the device manager to see if anything is not normal...

Well, I did check device manager and that's why I installed the USB driver. There was an exclamation point next to it. I just checked again and it's fine. I will run the memtest like you said and let you know. I was wondering about the memory because my folders are not opening up the way I set them. (eg: Setting thumbnails instead of icons) I have to set them all the time.

gwai lo said:
the beeping could be memory problems..i'd get memtest and run it overnight to check out the RAM.

the other bsod sounds like the USB driver did something funky and could be causing conflicts...try checking the device manager to see if anything is not normal...

I downloaded memtest and ran it for a bit. I went out for a run while it ran and it completed 707% and found nothing. I will run a full test tonight like you said.

Okay, no problems with the memory.
Today it started up fine. Tomorrow? Who knows.
Any other suggestions?

Back