Having some network problems, someone advise?

ShishCoBob

Limp Gawd
Alright, here goes the best of me trying to describe this problem.

I'm on a network with 5 or so computers on it and my computer is the only one that seems to have this problem.

The problem can be said basically in that my computer gets stuck at "Acquiring Network Address" (XP) when I go to connect to the network. Where this gets interesting to me is that this happens both on wireless and wired. Also happens if I have a static address or a dynamic address setup. Resetting the router, the computer, the cable modem, have really no effect. It just seems to be luck of the draw when I am able to get back online. No viruses and/or spyware found on the computer either.

It's really basic in that is won't get past the aquiring network address, but if others on the network were having the problem I wouldn't exactly be worried.

Well, since it happens wether your wired or wireless, this kinda rules out a bad nic... so the next layer is the OS. Have you tried maybe to repair that XP install? You may have a corrupted TCP/IP stack.

do all pc's have bootable cd rom drives? if so, download knoppix, burn it, then boot each pc into knoppix. if all pc's can aquire an IP, then that tells you it's a problem with the software on the pc's, not the DHCP server.

Back