Having some issues with a new build, any suggestions?

John

Limp Gawd
I finally decided to upgrade my old PC and go dual core, but I've been having problems with the new build. Right now I'm completely stuck without a solution, so here I am asking for help.

First of all, here's the spec of the system I'm building for myself.

1 x Asus 7950GX2 1GB PCI-E
1 x OCZ 2GB (2x1024MB) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC EDITION REVISION 2 DUAL CHANNEL KIT
1 x Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4ghz - Skt775 Fsb1066 4mb Cache Boxed In
1 x Antec Phantom 500GB Atx12v V2.01 500w 20or24pin Psu
1 x Gigabyte Intel SKT775 965P/ICH8R, FSB1066, 2CH DDRII800x4
4 x Western Digital WD2500KS Caviar SE 250GB 7200RPM SATA2/300 16MB Cache

Here's my problem - I can't get the motherboard to post. Nothing appears on the screen, but all the fans spin up on both the CPU and graphics card. Here's what I've tried:
- Removed everything except for the CPU, RAM, and graphics card.
- Tried removing the graphics card and replacing it with an old PCI GeForce, still nothing.

Right now, I have no idea what's wrong. I'm guessing it's a motherboard issue, but I have no other compatible hardware to test it out with. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Edit: I get no beeps when I try to boot up.

Try resetting the CMOS.
Also make sure the CMOS reset jumper isnt in the wrong position.

Chernobyl1 said:
Try resetting the CMOS.
Also make sure the CMOS reset jumper isnt in the wrong position.
I've already tried that (forgot to make a note of it), and the motherboard doesn't have a jumper by default - apparently to stop people from leaving it on in the wrong position.

As you power up, hold the ins key down and keep it held until you see the memory check etc (should be 10 seconds or less).
On many motheboards this loads a default cmos setup so any dodgy settings wont affect the startup.

Removing the ram or gfx card should produce beeps.
Please make sure the speaker is plugged in ;)
If you dont get beeps it could be the motherboard or PSU playing up.
But if the cpu is dead, it could prevent the motherboard from proper function as well so....

Chernobyl1 said:
As you power up, hold the ins key down and keep it held until you see the memory check etc (should be 10 seconds or less).
On many motheboards this loads a default cmos setup so any dodgy settings wont affect the startup.

Removing the ram or gfx card should produce beeps.
Please make sure the speaker is plugged in ;)
If you dont get beeps it could be the motherboard or PSU playing up.
But if the cpu is dead, it could prevent the motherboard from proper function as well so....
Holding down insert did nothing.

Removing the RAM produced no beep, nor did removing the graphics card. :(

I ran across a similar problem with my Gigabyte 965P-DS3. Never was able to solve it, and RMA'd it. I had memory Corsair said was compatible. NO POST, fans sputtered a couple times, and then stayed on. Black screen, no error beeps. Per the suggestion on the forumn, I tried a different memory (a 1.8v generic stick), no change. Changed out power supply. Even tried leaving RAM out. NO error beeps. Put RAM back in, took out video card, no beeps. Even reset CMOS a couple times.

Changed out PCI video card (was using old PCI cards, since this build was to be a Folding box only), no go. (turns out the PCI slots are rev 2.3, and all my video cards were 2.2/2.1.). Wasn't worth the expense to buy a PCI-Express video card in the vain hope that was it.

Ordered up an Asus P5B Deluxe and am hoping for better results. I'm 0 for 1 with Gigabyte, 1 for 3 with Epox, 2 for 2 with MSI.

Bill Clo said:
I ran across a similar problem with my Gigabyte 965P-DS3. Never was able to solve it, and RMA'd it. I had memory Corsair said was compatible. NO POST, fans sputtered a couple times, and then stayed on. Black screen, no error beeps. Per the suggestion on the forumn, I tried a different memory (a 1.8v generic stick), no change. Changed out power supply. Even tried leaving RAM out. NO error beeps. Put RAM back in, took out video card, no beeps. Even reset CMOS a couple times.

Changed out PCI video card (was using old PCI cards, since this build was to be a Folding box only), no go. (turns out the PCI slots are rev 2.3, and all my video cards were 2.2/2.1.). Wasn't worth the expense to buy a PCI-Express video card in the vain hope that was it.

Ordered up an Asus P5B Deluxe and am hoping for better results. I'm 0 for 1 with Gigabyte, 1 for 3 with Epox, 2 for 2 with MSI.
*Yes*. Thank you for a very useful post. I have *exactly* the same problem, the fan spins up, stops, spins up again and stays on. You've just saved me buying more components for testing, much appreciated.

I'm heading out to buy a Asus P5B Deluxe tomorrow myself, I'll let you know how I get on.

You're welcome. I wish I had discovered how awful Gigabyte is. I thought Epox was bad, having had only one good board of 3...whew.

Yes, let me know how your new board works out. I hope to have mine Weds.

I did some research, and found that this is the exact behavior you get when you don't have any power supplied to the ATX 12V (2x4) power connector.

Out came the multimeter, and sure enough the problem lied in my power supply - There was no voltage at all on the 12V 2x4 wires. I replaced the PSU today, and all seems to be working perfectly.

I wonder why 2 different power supplies I tried one Antec 480w and a Fortron 400w) gave the exact same symptom? Both of them were used on other systems recently and worked perfectly. Hmm...strange. If the new board does the same thing that'll narrow it down to both power supplies or the CPU.

Bill Clo said:
I wonder why 2 different power supplies I tried one Antec 480w and a Fortron 400w) gave the exact same symptom? Both of them were used on other systems recently and worked perfectly. Hmm...strange. If the new board does the same thing that'll narrow it down to both power supplies or the CPU.
I thought the same thing when I tested another power supply, before realising that when I tested the second one I forgot to plug in the second motherboard power connector.
redface.gif

Bill Clo said:
You're welcome. I wish I had discovered how awful Gigabyte is. I thought Epox was bad, having had only one good board of 3...whew.

Yes, let me know how your new board works out. I hope to have mine Weds.
Not to defend the motherboard that im currently using but, Gigabyte seems to have there stuff together this time around. Im using the DS3 and I love it to pieces. 460FSB on this board seems like nothing for it :cool: . For 150 bucks, you really get more for your money with this board. Sure, people are having ram issues, but a bios fix is all it needs to overcome the 1.9v start up Vdimm issue.

Back