Having some heat problems...

• Thread starter Deleted member 83233
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 83233

I've got a fairly strange (or maybe not) heat problem. I'm using a big mid-tower Cal-PC case (lots of open space inside,) Abit AN8 SLI, Newcastle 3800+ (I know these run fairly hot, but I got it for free,) 2 6800 GTs, 2x Corsair 1GB PC3200C2, Enermax 495P-VE, etc.

I'm using a Coolermaster Hyper 6 (all copper version) with fan at full speed.

With the case closed, I'm hovering around 115F for the CPU, and around 105F for the ambient temp. I can run Prime95 for a couple hours without a problem, maybe more (haven't tried.) The CPU will hit nearly 150F during Prime95, but never fails a test.

If I play a fairly graphic intensive game though, I've got about 7-10 minutes before my system resets itself.

I'm thinking the extra heat from the 2 6800 GTs may be the cause (since obiously the graphics cards aren't doing much during Prime tests.) It's pretty hard to get much more air flowing through this case. Before I get a different one, or buy more fans or something like that, I just want some opinions as to whether this sounds like heat, or some other instability.

if you an, mod in some 120mm fans and make sure youve got the intakes and exhaust in the right spots

I've got two 80mm intake fans side by side in the lower front area of the case. There is really no space on the back for an exhaust fan (though I do have some vents for the hot air to get forced through,) so I may either use an impeller (which I could squeeze in, or perhaps cut slots in the side of the case for a standard 120mm fan.

I just played HL2 windowed, so I could watch the temps in-game. Here's what was going on just before it crashed, (around 6-7 minutes in.)

Motherboard: 45C
CPU: 63C
GPU1: 76C
GPU2: 78C

These all seem a bit hot, but still well under max-spec. If I take the side of the case off, all these temps drop about 10C. I can then play for a lot longer, but I still get some weirdness. That's rather discouraging, considering I probably can't cool the case beyond what it is when it's open. That's why I'm wondering if there is something more to this than temps.

Those temps look fine except for the CPU. Mobo and video cards looks normal but 63C for your CPU is high. And if those reading where done in windows, chances are they weren't on-die temps and those can be as much as 10C higher, meaning your CPU MAY have been running at near 75C, whichi s melt down territory.

Check and make sure your heatsink and fan are seated correctly, just fixed a computer with that problem.

My guess is adding fans to your case will not help this problem.

Cooler is seated properly, small dot of AS5, etc. etc. (Been doing this for many years, but this is the first time I've seen a heat problem that wouldn't go away with a few adjustments or tweaks.)

Really, the CM Hyper 6 with AS5 should not allow the CPU to run that hot. Especially since I'm running everything at stock speeds currently. The air inside my case gets pretty hot, but it doesn't seem to be hot enough to cause this problem.

Just ordered a Venice 3200+. Problem most likely solved.

Back