having some fun with sickrage

silk186

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently go into playing with automation
first I tried sickbeard which was fun. I also tried couchpotato but don't feel it is necessary for my situation.
Sickrage was next. It was more trouble to set up but is more feature rich and offers far more customization.
I've spent the past few days playing with all the options and trying to get it set up just right.
NzbDrone also looks good but it's torrent support doesn't seem to be as mature yet.

Currently it searches for new episodes
if it finds one for TPB(w/ integrated proxy settings) it will send it to utorrent through web UI,
once download it with a sickrage label, all files with this label will be transferred to a separate folder for processing.
After the download is complete sickrage will post-process, sending the files to another folder, sorted neatly and renames.
It seems that I must manually remove the queue from utorrent.

Firstly, I'm wondering if it is possible to automate this further.
Secondly, I'm wondering if their is a suitable program for viewing all the episodes in my post-prossed folder with an attractive UI that would allow me to watch and delete episodes after watching.

It seems that another program could either monitor the folder or receive notification and metadata from sickrage.
Currently i'm a PhD researcher so I don't have the funds set up of an Ubuntu file server with Usenet attached to big screen with appleTV or another similar product.
I have a few laptops but I primarily work from a single Desktop with a 24" screen that I can watch from a bean bag or my sofa.

After I have sickrage tweaked to my liking I would enjoy playing around with a solution to this. As currently i know what I've received through looking at completed downloads in utorrent.
I could forgo post-processing and simply watch and delete them off of utorrent but this isn't ideal. Initially I would search for new shows each day but this was very inefficient and uttorent became full of backlog shows. This it to make things easier and more efficient.

I'm doing this mostly for fun and with the excuse that it will save time once properly set-up.

Have anyone else gone though the trouble of setting something like this up on a single desktop? I can image anyone working out of a home office with a secondary monitor finding this kind of setup useful.

looking on the HTPC guides website I can see how usenet would be a lot of fun to set up for movies, tv series, anime. music and comics but not is not the best time financially.

This is a guide for installing sickrage for windows (you will need to install GIT, python and cheetah which is all in the guide)
This is a guide for setting it up [with The Beverly Hillbillies (1993)]

I've played around with plex, and I'm not too impressed.
Firstly it runs in browser and seems to play files in browser.
It crashes and requires me to restart the computer to run it again.
It doesn't seem to give me the option to delete media after watching.
I would like it to ask if I want to delete a movie or show after watching one.
I read line that I can delete it from the folder and update the Plex library which doesn't seem very convenient.

What's good about it? It looks great, I can see how many unwatched episodes I have for each series.
Lots of metadata,though browsing shows is a bit slow and I can't use the back button of my mouse.
Perhaps I can customize it a bit more, but honestly, I don't think it really suits my needs. It seems that it is designed for users with a large fileserver or archived content with no intention of removing any. If I had ripped a large collection of Blu-Ray movies and stored them on a server this would be great.

I like XBMC even less and this the plex is better for monitoring my TV series and browsing movies on my desktop.
Does anyone know how to get Plex to open videos in VLC?

Last edited:
Windows Media Center will let you watch and delete. Just install sharks codecs so it lets you play any file.

I use Sickrage but I have an Unraid NAS that I built that is running it along with OpenVPN, Transmission, and Couchpotato. I don't use public sources, only private, Invite only places.

Sickrage is awesome.

I wonder if people still use Vanilla Sickbeard? There are so many separate projects that make Sickbeard so much better than it is.

Back