Having Ram issues Need Help

htowntech

n00b
Hello

i just finished a new build and everything was working fine for a few days. I had over clocked my cpu to 4.5 and was stable and starting to oc my video card. It started having issue where my computer would reboot and it said i had a failed over clocking. I keep tweaking and testing and everything was ok for a while, but it was still rebooting once in a while, and then i noticed i only had 12gb of ram when i should have 16 installed. i reinstalled my ram and it showed 16 agin, but it keep losing the one of the sticks. So i ran mentest86 and it failed. i checked my ram status in my bios and it said c1 was abnormal, so i installed in d1 and ran the memtest it did 3 passes with no errors with all 4 stick installed . So i booted to my os ran prime95 for 3 hours and was fine then i just started surfing the web and the computer froze up and i rebooted and i went into bios and check the ram again and d1 was now abnormal, so i found the possible bad ram and removed all the ram and left the bad ram in d1, and i had to reseat it to show up again. I ran memtest again and it failed, and i can't booting into my system without reseating the one ram stick. it goes from working to abrnomal over an over.

aslo note i removed the overclock and went with optimized default settings, the only thing changed was the ram speed set 2400, ram timing set 10,12,12,31,2, ram voltage set to1.65
any advice would be helpful. I've been testing and trying to figure out this issue for 2 days. Thank you

System spec
rampage iv black edition
i7 4930k
G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) F3-2400C10Q-16GTX
samsung 840 250 x2 in raid 0
samsung 840 250 x2
Hard drive 2tb
evga supernova 1500
evga gtx 780 ti classifed

I would back off of the memory OC a bit and test again. Since Intel moved the memory controller onto the processor, some people have been experiencing issues with getting certain sticks to run at their rated speeds because the controller either needs a bump in voltage or the northbridge needs to be overclocked a little to handle the load. I had to increase my SA voltage as well to get my 4770k to become stable with my memory overclock, and I'm only going up to 1866. I also read that running 4 sticks sometimes requires a bit more power than only two, perhaps you can try dropping down to just 2x4GB and if that is stable swap out the other two and test again.

Of course, you may genuinely have a bad stick of ram. Do you have another system you can use to test that stick?

That sounds like a bad stick to me since there's one module that won't work alone and the other three seem ok. You've also tried swapping sticks around in different slots and the same one still causes trouble, which leads me to believe that it's a bad ram module and not a board or CPU problem.

You are overclocking and overvolting your memory controller so if the whole set was flaky I would be inclined to say you may not have a defective part, but it's just one stick so I think it's actually bad ram in this case. Max official supported memory settings for a 4930k are 1866 @ 1.5V.

I'd probably try the other three in slots you tried the problem module in, so c1, d1, and one other just to check the slots. You could also try dropping the clock speed down to see if that problem module starts working, but if it doesn't run at 2400 and the other three do it's more of a "just out of curiosity" test. If you are still within the return period and running out of time on it I would probably just go ahead and send it back to the seller as bad. That's usually quicker than a manufacturer RMA.

Back