Having problems setting up my home network

sinitry23

Weaksauce
I'm having some problems setting up my home network to work properly. I have three computers in my home network and I would like to set them up to be able to share files and internet. All three computer has access to the internet fine. I've assign static IPs to all three computers.

My main computer would like to have access to the two laptops. I ran the home network wizard in windows and set it up. Once it was completed I selected "Just finish the wizard; I do not need to run the wizard on other computer". Now I do the same for my other two laptops. Sometimes I can get access to the share drives from my main computer to one of the laptops. My other laptop is wireless and I can't seem to connect to it's share drives at all.

So bottom line is two computers, 1 PC and 1 laptop are on LAN and the last laptop is wireless. I want to setup the network so I can get files back and forth from any of the computers. What do I need to do?

Quick and easiest way. Write down Ip address of each machine. Create a share on each machine, share it to "everyone" with full permissions. Create a user account on all 3 machines with the same user name and password.

Start on your desktop, right click my computer and choose map network drive. Choose a drive Z for laptop number ones share. For the file path type in \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\sharename where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the first laptops IP address. Click to login as a different user and enter the credentials of the user account you created on the machine in the beginning. Click the box that says reconnect at login. Finish

Now all over again on the desktop ... right click my computer and choose map network drive. Choose a drive X for laptop number twos share. For the file path type in \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\sharename where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the second laptops IP address. Click to login as a different user and enter the credentials of the user account you created on the machine in the beginning. Click the box that says reconnect at login. Finish

Now your desktop has a drive mapped to the shares on your laptops. This should give you an idea of how everything works and allow you to do the same with the laptops to access the desktops files.

Back