Having issues with m0n0wall

imzjustplayin

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm at the moment doing a CD drive and Floppy combo. Problems that have cropped up thus far.

1. I'm unable to boot from my CD drive unless I have an HDD installed, think it's a bios issue. bleh.
2. This is the real important one:

I've gone through about 5 nics and I'm unable to get m0n0wall to work. I mean I first started with ISA nics just for the hell of it, went into port configuration and while they were detected, they wouldn't detect the network link for me so I had to specify the lan and the wan.

Didn't work, unable to connect.

Put in two 3com 10/100 PCI nics and I run port configuration again. Run Auto detect, put in the cable, hit enter, it detects it on only one network card for LAN. Go to the Wan, run auto detect, put in the cable, detects it, if I try to switch around the LAN and WAN, it's a no go; weird. I specify the IP for m0n0wall, enable the DHCP server and specify 24 for the subnetmask, enter the IP range of 192.168.1.100-200, try to access it, no go.

Try to connect to m0n0wall remotely, doesn't work.

Get some newer cheaper nic card I stick in there, m0n0wall detects it, do the port thing and I leave it by its self just to see if I can access m0n0wall on the lan.

Tried it again, didn't work.

So, what should I do? I tried renewing the addresses on the computer but it wouldn't detect it, tried a straight through and crossover cable but it wouldn't work.

Now I'm wondering, since I don't have a hub/switch ATM (don't want to explain), shouldn't I be able to access m0n0wall with a direct link from m0n0wall to a computer? The other computer has an Intel GigE card in it and so I'm not sure if it's the root of the problem or not as I can't test it with another card.

Tried changing duplexs on the GIGe machine to half duplex 100, still didn't help.

So, what should I do?

Without a switch, you must use a crossover cable. If you can access the webpage of m0n0wall, you are in for a good start but if you can't then check your main pc as well for the ip configuration since it is sometime a bitch to connect.

Hello,

I just recently ran into similar problems with Endian, here is what I did:

I had the Endian box with 3 NICs installed. Installed Endian, and chose the correct Green NIC. After install, I was unable to connect from my machine (no hub/switch). Needed a crossover cable!

Obtained a XO cable then attempted again. I set the Green IP to 192.168.0.1and changed my computer to static 192.168.0.2. I received the cert prompt and got in. I then configured the other NIC.

I was then prompted that my IP changed and the browser would restart

After that I was unable to access the web prompt again.

I then (after the help of this great forum) reinstalled Endian only using 1 NIC. Configured everything and still had the same problem.

This time I went and bought a 5 port switch (DLink). Now I was usning 1 NIC, a switch, and standard Cat5 cable.

So, with all the above problems.... It ended up being my software firewall not letting me reconnect...

Using crossover cable and noncross over cable... I took the NIC cards and put them into another system (P90) with only according to the bios 32MB ram (wtf, I put in 128MB). Anyways it appears to be working now to the point where I can connect to it. I just don't get it, WTH wouldn't it connect on the other machine with the same network cards? Why is this machine detecting my 64MB SD module as 16MB and 128MB module as 32MB? The machine did have EDO ram in it however despite the jumpers not being set to EDO ram.

So with this machine now, I'm wondering, if I want to test out this firewall and to make it setup to how I would like it with out removing my current router, how would I do this? I have my router hooked up to my cable modem and then I have a line from the router running into the m0n0wall. I then I have a cable running from m0n0wall to a computer which I access m0n0wall from. Now I'm trying to to get online with that computer but I have unsucessfully done that. I set the firewall rules *, *, *, *, * which is basically forward to any port anywhere. I also told it not to block private IP addresses as the WAN port IS on a private network setup by my router. I don't want to test it and work on it in place of the router at this time due to my unfamiliarity with this firewall.

Run the cable modem into the WAN on m0n0wall, then run the LAN side of m0n0wall into the switch side of your old router. Just turn off DHCP on the old router and use it as a switch.

EDIT: ALso make sure the IP on the old router doesn't conflict with m0n0wall.

Um, I don't think I made it very clear. I can't connect the firewall to the cable modem until I can prove that m0n0wall is perfectly functional. I need to find a way to test it with out directly attaching it to the modem. Only way I can think of is to connect m0n0wall to the router and try to NAT the 192.168.1.100 address but it just won't take it which is kinda dumb in it's self.

Um, I don't think I made it very clear. I can't connect the firewall to the cable modem until I can prove that m0n0wall is perfectly functional.

Um, let me make it clearer.

Hook up m0n0wall. If it doesn't work right, fix it.

If you can't fix it, put your old router back.

I keep hitting my finger with a hammer and it really hurts, what do I do?
Maybe I should stop hitting my finger, it can't be that easy though right?

I can't disconnect the router because this is a work environment and uptime is fairly important. It's a difficult situation to explain, it's not dire but basically I need to make it work with the router in place first before I replace the router with the m0n0wall system. Also from where I'm working on the firewall and where the firewall will be is too far to be pratical. If it's an issue I can fix with the web gui, that'd be one thing but it's not I don't think so thats why I need to figure it out now. Plus I don't know much about this software firewall..

Test the m0n0wall at home before you put it into production at work.

Is the work environment your home environment?

Wait until nobody else is home and then do your thing.

After business hours, weekends?

Do you have multiple public IPs available?
If so, connect a small switch between the current cable modem and router and setup m0n0wall with a free public IP. That assumes the cable modem can handle the multiple IPs.

Common, it can't be that complicated.

EDIT: Once you have connectivity to the web gui, there's nothing you can't do from there. You can even edit the config at a low level remotely. I use m0n0wall on an embedded platform. The only ways I can talk to the box is through the serial port (only basic config on the serial port) or the web gui. The location of the m0n0wall should not be a problem. A lot of people use m0n0wall in weatherized boxes located at the top of towers, they don't climb the tower when they need to change something. :)

First, what are you replacing?

Second, don't use auto-detect when setting up m0n0wall. 3COM's should have the MAC printed on the card itself, write them down and associate the interfaces by MAC address. To test and configure it, plug the LAN interface into your machine and the WAN interface into your network. Release and renew your IP to make sure you're getting an address on the same subnet as the m0n0wall box. Go to the default web interface address and log in.

If the current router has DHCP enabled and m0n0wall has DHCP enabled as well, you are in for lots of trouble.

It's easier to get a switch/hub and connect it to your computer for the initial setup till you are satisfied. Like others said, when you can access the web gui, there is no much more to do beside configuring the WAN connection (PPPoE, DHCP or Static IP) and that's all.

From your topics/posts, it seems like you don't like to take advices from others and try to do it "your" way... The IT world is about learning and listening to experienced guys on the good ways to fix something so someone who insist to do things his way won't live very long in this world.

If the current router has DHCP enabled and m0n0wall has DHCP enabled as well, you are in for lots of trouble.
Aye, OP note I said plug LAN into your computer and WAN into your network, not the other way around. This will let you test and configure it without disturbing your current environment. :)

First, what are you replacing?

Second, don't use auto-detect when setting up m0n0wall. 3COM's should have the MAC printed on the card itself, write them down and associate the interfaces by MAC address. To test and configure it, plug the LAN interface into your machine and the WAN interface into your network. Release and renew your IP to make sure you're getting an address on the same subnet as the m0n0wall box. Go to the default web interface address and log in.

If you're talking about the beginning topic, yes I used auto detect but it didn't seem to help accessing the box from the lan, I moved the config to another machine and now it works, WHY? SAME CARDS! Same shit 'cept processor and board...

The weird thing is, the system that was detecting the PC100 memory size incorrectly is the one I can access remotely via the LAN. I put in some EDO ram and now it detects the 16MBX4 modules correctly. But the other system I just don't get why it wouldn't work with it, aside from the slow bootup, it ran fine in windows but I simply couldn't access it with the same network cards. I'm going to try it again but man this is a frustrating ordeal. I still need to figure out how to test the WAN on a current network with out replacing the current router.

Basically speaking

MODEM->Router->Switch->m0n0wall->Administration machine (just to access m0n0wall)

What are you trying to replace with m0n0wall?

Some Crappy consumer router. Please, this is aside the question, instead of trying to find an excuse to force me to test this only with it directly connected to the modem, help me figure out how to hook this up with the router installed. I want to know how to do this in the event that I need to build a m0n0wall installation for a friend from where I'm at first, and if I can't have any downtime how am I suppose to test that firewall? Can't fiddle with it at the friends house only to discover that theres a serious issue and I need to back to my 'workshop' now can't I?

Plus I want to know how to hookup a firewall w/DHCP to a firewall w/DHCP.

You've been told multiple times, again, how to do something.

You cannot hook up both at the same time on the same network segment. Why can't you? Because it doesn't work that way. Why? Read a book on basic networking. :)

If you want to test it, the answer was provided to you. Uplug your computer, plug the cable that was going to your computer into the WAN side of the m0n0wall. Hook a cable from the LAN side of the m0n0wall box and plug that into your computer. Once you have m0n0wall configured and are ready to do so, unplug that all and replace the consumer router with your newly configured m0n0wall box. Remember to turn off your cable modem or DSL modem while you are doing this to make the transition smoother.

You've been told multiple times, again, how to do something.

You cannot hook up both at the same time on the same network segment. Why can't you? Because it doesn't work that way. Why? Read a book on basic networking. :)

LOL Read below.
If you want to test it, the answer was provided to you. Uplug your computer, plug the cable that was going to your computer into the WAN side of the m0n0wall.

THATS EXACTLY WHAT I'M ASKING, HELLO!!!!!!!! I was asking how to make m0n0wall work with that. WTH did you think I was asking? When I plug the cable that was going into my computer into m0n0wall and then a cable from m0n0wall to my computer, I'm able to now access m0n0wall but I can't get online.

Existing Router -> Switch -> WAN M0n0Wall -> LAN M0n0Wall -> Direct connection or Switch -> PC

I am assuming you have your existing router feeding DHCP requests. If so then you should be able to setup the m0n0 box to get an address and browse the Internet from the PC, on the LAN side of the M0n0Wall. You will be double NAT'ed but it will work. Try it and let us know.

Existing Router -> Switch -> WAN M0n0Wall -> LAN M0n0Wall -> Direct connection or Switch -> PC

I am assuming you have your existing router feeding DHCP requests. If so then you should be able to setup the m0n0 box to get an address and browse the Internet from the PC, on the LAN side of the M0n0Wall. You will be double NAT'ed but it will work. Try it and let us know.

Thats exactly what I've been trying to figure out for a good portion of this thread. It hasn't been working out too well and I can't seem to figure out why I can't connect to the internet. I was under the impression from threads I've read about m0n0wall that I need to forward certain ports or something but I'm just confused about the configuration of m0n0wall. I mean I have an idea of how to do it but I kind of don't.. Bleh.

Here is a development:

Before I had it setup so that the router and m0n0wall had the same gateway address of 192.168.1.1 (I dunno but wanted to stick with that) and m0n0wall would only detect the subnet and gateway address of the router, changed the gateway address and LAN address (just in case) to base off of 192.168.0.1. But I'm still unable to get onto the internet despite this improvement.

Two questions.

1. Why doesn't m0n0wall like it with having the same gateway as the router it's behind?
2. Why is m0n0wall still not working behind a router?

Two questions.

1. Why doesn't m0n0wall like it with having the same gateway as the router it's behind?

1. Conflicting Ip addresses. You wouldn't ever put 2 identical IP addresses on the same network
2. Turn DHCP off on the router if DHCP is enabled on m0n0wall

I am honestly surprised the network is even working at all with them both having the same gateway address and both with DHCP on. You don' t have to worry about forwarding the ports for the interenet as those should be open anyways.. you should only need forwarding for special applications for servers or maybe vpn if they use it.

Well here might be the big question after you changed all of this. Is the monowall even getting an ip address from the consumer router?

LOL Read below.

THATS EXACTLY WHAT I'M ASKING, HELLO!!!!!!!! I was asking how to make m0n0wall work with that. WTH did you think I was asking? When I plug the cable that was going into my computer into m0n0wall and then a cable from m0n0wall to my computer, I'm able to now access m0n0wall but I can't get online.

Man, I've been watching 5 separate threads with you beggin for help while professing basic knowledge of networking. You then turn around and get pissy with people when they answer your questions with information that should build off of what you profess to know.
WE ARE NOT HERE TO ANSWER YOU QUESTIONS ALONE. I suggest that you ease up a bit if you expect to get more answers.

Since you are planning on placing this device in a production envrionment, do yourself AND the owner of your company a favor and either READ A DAMN BOOK so you understand what these good people (who have so much more patience than I) are telling you or hire out a consultant to do the setup work. If you do not follow this course of action, I can all but guarantee that you will have wished you would have, either because of a catastrophe or because of lost time...

Man, I've been watching 5 separate threads with you beggin for help while professing basic knowledge of networking. You then turn around and get pissy with people when they answer your questions with information that should build off of what you profess to know.
WE ARE NOT HERE TO ANSWER YOU QUESTIONS ALONE. I suggest that you ease up a bit if you expect to get more answers.

Since you are planning on placing this device in a production envrionment, do yourself AND the owner of your company a favor and either READ A DAMN BOOK so you understand what these good people (who have so much more patience than I) are telling you or hire out a consultant to do the setup work. If you do not follow this course of action, I can all but guarantee that you will have wished you would either because of a catastrophe or because of lost time...

I am going to have to agree with this

Two questions.

Because you don't have an understanding of basic networking. Read a book or hire a local computer professional who does have the necessary skills and knowledge to teach you.

From your topics/posts, it seems like you don't like to take advices from others and try to do it "your" way... The IT world is about learning and listening to experienced guys on the good ways to fix something so someone who insist to do things his way won't live very long in this world.

Because you don't have an understanding of basic networking. Read a book or hire a local computer professional who does have the necessary skills and knowledge to teach you.

I agree, I already pointed out before... You can't do anything if you refuse to listen or don't understand the networking basics. You are almost wasting the time of everyone here and this can be considered trolling for some.

After reading this mess I think we need a better idea of what your environment looks like. I know I'm kinda lost after all the threads.

Anyway.. just because pictures might help, here's a diagram of how I've used m0n0wall. Pretty much m0n0wall handles everything from edge firewall to NAT & DHCP.

For just testing (aka. you, your box, and m0n0wall)

If your box is setup to DHCP and you configured m0n0wall ok and it found your NICs then you should be able to get to the web interface.

After reading this mess I think we need a better idea of what your environment looks like. I know I'm kinda lost after all the threads.

Anyway.. just because pictures might help, here's a diagram of how I've used m0n0wall. Pretty much m0n0wall handles everything from edge firewall to NAT & DHCP.

For just testing (aka. you, your box, and m0n0wall)

If your box is setup to DHCP and you configured m0n0wall ok and it found your NICs then you should be able to get to the web interface.

The biggest problem is the people in this thread have been thread crapping and are too dumb to understand what I'm saying. They can't understand that I'm trying to hookup the port coming out of the router which is serving DHCP to the WAN port on the m0n0wall. I should be able to test m0n0wall with the current router in place but at this time I've been unsucessful and I don't know why.

I SHOULD be able to have it like this

Modem->Router->cable to m0n0wall->m0n0wall WAN port->m0n0wall Lan port->Computer.

I'm now able to access m0n0wall after transferring the installation from one computer to another and I STILL HAVE NO IDEA WHY I'M NOW ABLE TO ACCESS IT DESPITE USING THE SAME DAMN CARDS. M0n0wall now detects the DHCP server on the WAN port and assigns ports accordingly but it still doesn't work.

And to those stupid worthless assholes who insist that I don't understand basic networking and are here to thread crap, here is a diagram from the m0n0wall website.

http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/ipsec-behindfirewall.html

The biggest problem is the people in this thread have been thread crapping and are too dumb to understand what I'm saying. They can't understand that I'm trying to hookup the port coming out of the router which is serving DHCP to the WAN port on the m0n0wall. I should be able to test m0n0wall with the current router in place but at this time I've been unsucessful and I don't know why.

I'm now able to access m0n0wall after transferring the installation from one computer to another and I STILL HAVE NO IDEA WHY I'M NOW ABLE TO ACCESS IT DESPITE USING THE SAME DAMN CARDS. M0n0wall now detects the DHCP server on the WAN port and assigns ports accordingly but it still doesn't work.

And to those stupid worthless assholes who insist that I don't understand basic networking and are here to thread crap, here is a diagram from the m0n0wall website.

Apparently you don't have a basic understanding of networking since you can't even provide us with BASIC information to help you troubleshooting.

1. What is the IP address assigned to the internal interface of monowall?
2. What is the IP address being assigned to the external interface of monowall?
3. Have you tried pinging your existing router from behind monowall?
4. Have you tried running a tracert from behind monowall?
5. Have you tried pinging a domain name from behind monowall?

These are all very basic troubleshooting steps that are necessary in resolving your problems, however you insist on claiming you have networking knowledge when it is obvious you don't since you haven't provided any basic troubleshooting information for us to review.

It helps to admit when you don't have the skills or experience so that we can guide you in the right direction. If you can't provide us with information, you can't expect to get answers to resolve your problem.

http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/ipsec-behindfirewall.html
FYI... that has to do with IPSEC and using m0n0wall as a VPN endpoint behind another firewall. It has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Are you sure we are the ones who don't understand the situation?

We have told you repeatedly how to test this firewall distro without displacing your current setup. IF you're still having trouble, perhaps the m0n0wall forums would be a better place to find people with more "worth."

I understood what you were after the moment I replied and I think everyone else did as well. We've told you how, hell one of us even gave you a diagram. Don't come to a forum and start throwing insults around. That would be trolling, which in my opinion, is much worse than what you call "thread crapping."

By the amount of questions you've been asking, the wide distribution of them and your reaction to people offering helpful advice, I'd say you are simply here to try cause trouble.

Apparently you don't have a basic understanding of networking since you can't even provide us with BASIC information to help you troubleshooting.

1. What is the IP address assigned to the internal interface of monowall?
2. What is the IP address being assigned to the external interface of monowall?
3. Have you tried pinging your existing router from behind monowall?
4. Have you tried running a tracert from behind monowall?
5. Have you tried pinging a domain name from behind monowall?

These are all very basic troubleshooting steps that are necessary in resolving your problems, however you insist on claiming you have networking knowledge when it is obvious you don't since you haven't provided any basic troubleshooting information for us to review.

It helps to admit when you don't have the skills or experience so that we can guide you in the right direction. If you can't provide us with information, you can't expect to get answers to resolve your problem.

I did briefly mention that I had tested it in this thread but apparently it slipped through the cracks.. yes I did all of those 'basic' tests and it's basically created inconclusive results and its got my mind boggled.

To answer your question.
1. I'm not quite sure what you're asking
2. I'm not quite sure what yuo're asking, don't feel like assuming/guessing. You talking about WAN and LAN?
3. Yes, I've tried pinging my existing router behind m0n0wall.
4. Yes I've run a tracert
5. yes I've tried pinging a domain name.

I'm unable to ping a domain and I've run a tracert and both were unsucessful past m0n0wall despite m0n0wall getting the appropriate WAN address from the DHCP server being broadcasted from the router... The router gave out the address 192.168.1.105 to m0n0wall and m0n0wall is broadcasting a range from 192.168.0.100-200. And I've also changed things so that the gateway for m0n0wall is 192.168.0.1 while the router is 192.168.1.1 which did allow for m0n0wall to get a DHCP address (opposed to before where it wouldn't) but I'm STILL unable to reach the outside world.. bleh

What is the IP address of monowall's WAN interface including subnet mask, DNS, and gateway addresses?

What is the IP address of monowall's LAN interface including subnet mask, DNS, and gateway addresses?

What is the IP address of the computer including subnet mask, DNS, and gateway addresses that you are using behind monowall?

What is the IP address of monowall's WAN interface including subnet mask, DNS, and gateway addresses?

What is the IP address of monowall's LAN interface including subnet mask, DNS, and gateway addresses?

What is the IP address of the computer including subnet mask, DNS, and gateway addresses that you are using behind monowall?

M0n0wall's WAN interface IP is 192.168.1.102
Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0
DNS would likely be 192.168.1.1
Gateway is 192.168.1.1

LAN interface 192.168.0.100-200
Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0
DNS is 192.168.0.1
Gateway 192.168.0.1

OMFG, WTF. WTF

WTF

WTF

WTF

ZOMG

WTF

This is absolutely ABSURD!

Ok guys, remember when I first installed my pair of ethernet cards in my first system (K6-II 450MHZ)? That was the system at the beginning of this thread I was trying to figure out how to access m0n0wall with.

I had setup m0n0wall by first using autodetect, plugging in the cable, and then each card was detected accordingly.

The router (not m0n0wall) was and still is configured as 192.168.1.1 for the gateway with the LAN addresses as 192.168.1.100-200. DNS is the same as the gateway.

M0n0wall was configured as 192.168.1.1 for the gateway and 192.168.1.100-200 as well, just like the router. DNS is the same as the m0n0wall gateway.

I tried different network card combinations and basically no matter what m0n0wall wasn't able to communicate properly with any of my systems. Meaning that the systems that were connected to m0n0wall's LAN port weren't able to access m0n0wall's webgui or the outside world.

So I took the network cards and put it into my P90 system. That system was the one that detected the SDRAM incorrectly and I ended up replacing it with 64MB of EDO ram opposed to 64MB of SDRAM which it deteced as 16MB of SDRAM...

Again, using the autodetect feature I was able to detect each network card accordingly.

I setup m0n0wall's gateway as 192.168.1.1, LAN addresses 192.168.1.100-200 with the DNS being the same as the m0n0wall gateway.

I fiddled with it a bit trying different network cards and ended up going back to the same network cards. Reconfigured the ports switching the roles of the network cards as either the LAN or WAN with the original pair I started with.

I was then extremely happy because I finally was able to access the WEBGUI for m0n0wall. I entered the webgui and checked out the interface only to discover that no packets were being moved through the WAN interface which made sense considering that I wasn't able to get online. I fiddled with the configurations some more and much later noticed that the only thing assigned to the WAN was the gateway address of 192.168.1.1 and the DNS address of 192.168.1.1 and nothing else, didn't have an IP address, thought that was weird.

Fiddled with the network card configurations some more and then finally decided to change m0n0wall's configuration: Gateway now being 192.168.0.1, DNS 192.168.0.1, and Lan Addresses 192.168.0.100-200.

After making that change another development came when I saw that m0n0wall was finally being assigned an IP address. Thought that was great, but still m0n0wall wasn't accessing the internet as there wasn't any traffic going through the WAN port.

I tried switching the roles of the ethernet cards once again and it didn't work out as I wasn't able to access the m0n0wall webgui at all. So I took the card that I changed roles from WAN to LAN with a cheaper nic card.

Tried it again and I was once again able to access m0n0wall webgui. But still I was unable to access the internet.

So today, Saturday morning I took the pair of network cards which was one of the original 'pair' that I started off with and the cheapo nic card, put it back into the original system to see if I'd be able to access the m0n0wall webgui at least.

I have to reset m0n0wall again since it's a different system. So I put in the disc and a new floppy disk and load it up. At first it wasn't very happy where every time I press a number, it would go back to the menu. So I reset m0n0wall again and put in a good floppy disk.

I load up m0n0wall, do auto detect on each port with them being detect fine and their status as being 'up' for both.

I setup the gateway as 192.168.0.1, IP range 192.168.0.100-200 and the DNS is the same as the m0n0wall gateway.

I try renewing the IP address from m0n0wall on the client machine many times but it wouldn't pick it up. So I reset m0n0wall again and this time I reverse the roles of the network cards from LAN to WAN, WAN to LAN. I load up m0n0wall, and again setup the addresses, save and restart m0n0wall.

I go to my client machine and the addresses are already renewed, so I try loading up a webpage, not expecting anything to load and.....

'lo and behold, IT FUCKING WORKS! I was beyond belief, I had in a sense made a whole fucking circle and now it fucking works... I try accessing the web gui and at first appeared to not work, reloaded the page and looks like it's working fine! Seems like every function works great!

Man, what a god damn ordeal...

SIGH

I just had to post that.

Now I'm going to fiddle with it some more, keeping the floppy somewhere else replacing it with another blank floppy in the mean time.

Now it's time for me to figure out, why in the hell would it work with the network cards assigned as only certain roles??? Like one card can only be WAN while the other can be WAN and LAN? I don't get it... Care to explain?

Just beyond belief at this point..

Back