Having Issues setting up Captive Portal

[BB] Rick James

[H]ard Dawg
I've got a Win2003 server box that is one of my Internet gateways for a down town wireless project that I've been working on. The set up is this, I have an AP and then plugged into that is the server that hands out my down town IP addresses. It's an open network so no authentication is needed.

what is the easiest way to incorporate captive portal into that set up? I know IPcop is out there but I don't want another box at the site. I know the DD-WRT is an option but I don't have a linksys router down there.... I've got a Cisco AP at the site.

Thoughts?

Are you using any of the Cisco wireless controllers? I know the controllers have a similar feature to Captive Portal. I don't know of the standalone (autonomous) access points will do this though.

Are you using any of the Cisco wireless controllers? I know the controllers have a similar feature to Captive Portal. I don't know of the standalone (autonomous) access points will do this though.

No I'm not using any Cisco wireless controllers. Just a stand alone 1300 series.

Are you looking for an authenticated captive portal or just a splash page of some sort?

All I can think of is using an external box... like what you mentioned, IPCOP or m0n0wall. At my workplace (a small university), I use m0n0 to do the job. I don't think Cisco has any products that provides guest access... they require you to log in or they have a restricted guest access. But maybe I am mistaken.

edit: before i set up our wireless access, i was testing out DD-WRT. Last time i tried it, the captive portal (via nocat splash) wasn't working because there wasn't enough memory in my linksys' wrt54gl to hold that functionality. But anyways, also consider that if you used something like DD-WRT, it may cause issues if you roam around with wireless, which is one reason why i went with m0n0.

I don't think Cisco has any products that provides guest access... they require you to log in or they have a restricted guest access. But maybe I am mistaken.

The WLAN controllers can give you this feature if you include it. You can even do this with the autonomous APs to some extent. I just set up a Cisco 4402 WLAN controller for one of my clients. They have two SSIDs, one internal and private, one open public that is tunneled to a DMZ. This was the first Cisco WLAN controller I had set up and I was extremely impressed with it's features. I would definitely recommend one to anyone who runs multiple Cisco APs.

Back