Having Eyefinity Issues

Kainzo

Gawd
Hi there, I have been perusing forums and websites all day trying to figure out how to get my Eyefinity to work. My boyfriend suggested I take a look at this forum, since you seem to know more than the AMD tech support people and Sapphire tech support combined.

I have an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Mobo
Sapphire ATI HD 5670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI-E card
2 20" Acer x203H monitors max reso. 1600x900 @ 60MHz
1 20" Samsung Syncmaster ... " "
Windows 7 Ultimate x64-bit
I have 3 DVI-DVI cables plugged into to the three separate monitors, only one is plugged into the DVI port, one is plugged into an HDMI adapter (read as a DVI in CCC) and the third (Acer) plugged into a (confirmed) active converter by Startech.com (item: DP2DVIADAP) and in the DisplayPort. I have the latest drivers, and have tried reinstalling them more than once.

The particular problem I am having is that when I open the Catalyst Control Center, and go to the properties of each particular monitor, my card is reading them as though they are all plugged in via DVI, and will not let me enable my third monitor without first disabling one of my enabled monitors. Now, I have tried contacting Startech.com, I called AMD and submitted a ticket to Sapphire (they requested a picture of my adapter). The only thing AMD could tell me was that I should buy the $100 active converter dongle they have on their website (accell). But, being a college kid, I don't have that extra money to spend.

If you can actually help with my problem (and not just tell me things I already know), please, please e-mail me at [email protected] (it goes to my blackberry). I am willing to listen and try anything at this point, I am ready to give up and sell it all. :(

Thanks

Also, I can get two to run just fine as Eyefinity, but I don't even get a 3x1 or 1x3 option.

You need a proper active converter to make it work, I don't know what you mean by "(confirmed) active" but the converter you have is passive. The gizmo you need costs $100, a $25 one won't get it.

P.S.- I sure hope you subscribed to your thread.

Last edited:
I did. And I know. I just wish that crap company wouldn't have lied to me. I broke down yesterday and bought the $100 active dongle, the ONLY one accepted by ATI that isn't a Mini-DP. I was going to just sell everything, but I've decided to dump more money into it hah. Hopefully everything will work out well. I've been ripping the bezels off my screens in anticipation (and by ripping, I mean prying off/unscrewing).

Forwarded this information to my girl friend, trying to do this setup, sadly she already bought the $99 dollar dongle =/

Keep the new adapter. Let us know. How the de-bezel process goes!

So far she has two of the ACER 20'' already de-bezel'd .. however the Samsung 20'' seems to have a clear plastic bezel that is much harder to take off.. so we may just leave that one off and in the center, so instead of making too much trouble, we'll just have the other monitors "move in front" of the Samsung so to speak.

I think the GF will go ahead and get the 25 dollar adapter even after testing the $100 and send the more expensive one back if the 25 one works, shes spent about 500+ dollars getting this setup configured and is at wit's end.

The Girlfriend--

Okay, The Samsung didn't have difficult bezels;it's just a touchscreen, so when I took the bezels off, it was attached to the front (making it completely pointless to take it off. I'm just going to place the Acer's infront of the Samsung and it'll work just fine :)

I decided to upgrade and go with a HIS Radeon HD 5850 1GB... the 128-bit card was just not working for me and Modern Warfare 2 - load time was WAYYYY too slow (15-35 seconds). I just can't wait for the dongle to get here, it shipped from like 10 minutes away. I should have just gone to pick it up haha

Here's the issue that ATI needs to clear up pronto. When people start referring that ATI list, I suggest clarifying the info below before they try the passive adapters on that list.

The CONFIRMED ATI LISTS OF ADAPTERS are talking about only using at most TWO monitors. If you use a passive adapter for displayport to another digital output (DVI or HDMI) then you cannot use the second DVI out for the third monitor. You need an active adapter to convert the displayport out to HDMI or DVI when using 3 monitors. It has to do with how the signals are generated, and the Card is designed to generate 2 HDMI/DVI signals only, hence the need for the active to convert Display Port to a third HDMI/DVI signal.,

It is possible to use the displayport without an active adapter, the passive VGA adapter. VGA works differently and can draw enough power from the display port interface to convert it to a VGA signal. This is hit and miss for many people, but I've heard it can work for some 1920x1200 resolutions, but really is designed for up to 1080p signals.

The Girlfriend--

I know that the passive vga works differently, but I've already ordered the active adapter. Damn my impatience, but NOW I'm having a different problem. I just switched to a dual core mobo to run some Mass Effect 2, as my single-core was not having it. Now I've fixed all of my post beeps, but when I plug in my 5670 1GB card, it will not give me any visuals. It gives a happy beep, but it will not come on the screen. I figured it might be that i switched mobo's with a high resolution set and new (possibly unfamiliar) monitor.

I am able to boot perfectly using an old 15" (vga only) monitor and BFG nVidia GeForce 7800 GT OC card (what I was using before I purchased my Radeon HD 5670). I've also tried the secondary slot and it gives me post beeps and won't boot properly. I put it back into the primary slot and I don't get any beeps, but I get nothing to my monitor. Everything else seems to be running perfectly.

It took me FOREVER to find the name of the board, and I'm not sure if it will help but I am using a Winfast NF4SK8AA-8EKRS mobo now -- compared to my nVidia A8N-SLI Deluxe I WAS using.

Also, I have indeed ordered the 5850, so hopefully I can get all of this fixed by Thursday. :) I appreciate all of the help and great feedback!

Back