Having difficulty understanding the OSI model.

ibex333

[H]ard|Gawd
I am in college studying networking, and I am having great difficulty understanding the OSI model. My professor emphasizes memorization over understanding, but I cannot learn something without understanding it fully and in depth.

I did some googling on the OSI model but most sources present it like it is without any particular in depth explanation. I tried stupidly memorizing all that stuff that goes on at every layer, but there is just so much of that "stuff" going on, that by the time I memorize half of the layers I forget the other half I just learned.

Can someone please answer my questions or link me to a book or a website that answers my questions IN DEPTH WITH VERY THOROUGH EXPLANATION OF EVERY LITTLE DETAIL?

1)What is the reason for the existence of the OSI model? Why was it created?

2)Why cant we do away with it? What makes it important?

3)If the OSI model is a "virtual" model why cant we just concentrate on the real, physical stuff, instead of thinking how a certain process would be represented in a virtual model? Some people told me the OSI model is helpful in understanding networking, but in my case it just makes networking more complicated and adds to the confusion. Honestly, I am completely and utterly clueless, and my Networking Essentials book and my study materials do not help at all.

Well think of it like the tangible objects that correspond to each layer.

So Layer 1 is Physical - Wires/hubs/repeaters/handjobs from tranny hookers

Also think of it as whats sent at each layer. You will have to memorize a few things yes, but the OSI model just demonstrates how information is passed from a piece of software, down through the network equipment and back

Also think of it as whats sent at each layer. You will have to memorize a few things yes, but the OSI model just demonstrates how information is passed from a piece of software, down through the network equipment and back

I agree.

The wikipedia page looks like a pretty good, detailed reference. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

understanding the OSI layers and how they interact will help greatly when you start learning encapsulation and how the different layers stack and unstack from each other. the OSI model doesn't just exist to piss off netadmins(well mostly....) it lays a framework for how the upper layers(software) will interact and talk across networks. software developers need to understand it as well.

I always thought tranny hookers were layer 4?:(

I can't answer ...but it would seem that once you answer
and understand question #1, the others become evident.

A Tip: Once you google, click the "Video" option.
It's all there for you to grab.

A quickie:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_the_OSI_Model_so_important

I do feel your pain though ... I memorized all that stuff years ago ....
All I remember now are the names of the layers and the basics of each... like
a skeleton .... a framework ...yeah ...that is all I remember. :confused:

Last edited:
I always thought tranny hookers were layer 4?:(

Only layer 4 when I'm done with them. Layer 1 while business is being taken care of :)

http://www.tech-faq.com/osi-model.html

This is an OK faq you can go over. The wiki page is good too. Personally, Wendell Odom explained it best in something of his I have, I'll try to dig up which book it was from and let you know the name

Last edited:
I am in college studying networking, and I am having great difficulty understanding the OSI model. My professor emphasizes memorization over understanding, but I cannot learn something without understanding it fully and in depth.

I did some googling on the OSI model but most sources present it like it is without any particular in depth explanation. I tried stupidly memorizing all that stuff that goes on at every layer, but there is just so much of that "stuff" going on, that by the time I memorize half of the layers I forget the other half I just learned.

Can someone please answer my questions or link me to a book or a website that answers my questions IN DEPTH WITH VERY THOROUGH EXPLANATION OF EVERY LITTLE DETAIL?

3)If the OSI model is a "virtual" model why cant we just concentrate on the real, physical stuff, instead of thinking how a certain process would be represented in a virtual model? Some people told me the OSI model is helpful in understanding networking, but in my case it just makes networking more complicated and adds to the confusion. Honestly, I am completely and utterly clueless, and my Networking Essentials book and my study materials do not help at all.

I'd start here: http://www.firewall.cx/osi-intro.php and then, since the links to the various layer detail pages don't seem to be working right, head here next: http://www.firewall.cx/osi-layer-1.php

The Networking menu in the upper left (under the Firewall.CX logo) has just about everything you can imagine for your network fundamentals.

That website is great, and was recommended to me when I started studying networking by some of the best networking minds on this forum.

Several years ago I wrote a MCSE Study Guide: Networking Essentials book. A lot of reviews said it had a great overview of the OSI model. I've uploaded the PDF copy if you want to see it. The OSI model is in Chapter 2. Here you go:

https://files.me.com/jasonnash/kbt5kn

Please - Physical - 1
Do - Data - 2
Not - Network - 3
Touch - Transport - 4
Steve's - Session - 5
Pet - Presentation - 6
Alligator - Application - 7

This trick has always stuck with me.

Sooo... you're into trannies then? Great.. lol

They are the Swiss army knife of hookers and blow.

NetJunkie said:
Several years ago I wrote a MCSE Study Guide: Networking Essentials book. A lot of reviews said it had a great overview of the OSI model. I've uploaded the PDF copy if you want to see it. The OSI model is in Chapter 2. Here you go:

https://files.me.com/jasonnash/kbt5kn

Nice I likes it. Read this one OP go go go!

1. OSI model was created to allow vendors/programmers whoever to write software or create network devices with out having to rewrite the entire process from high level application down to drivers that control physical hardware.

2. Answer 2 goes back to answer 1

3. Not sure how the OSI model adds confusion if you just focuses on "the physical" you would be concerned with 0's and 1's and electronic pulses or light pulses over some networking media.

The OSI model allows some random person on the internet to write a web app with out being concerned about TCP/IP or what NIC card someone is using.

The OSI model allows cisco to make a switch with out worrying how it will break someone elses application that runs over TCP/IP or rewriting a whole new standard

I will probably add some stuff to this since however running on no sleep after new years :LOL: meh

Back