Here are the specs of my desktop PC:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ CPU
ABIT KN8 Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Motherboard
4 x 512MB DDR400 RAM (Corsair Valueselect)
NVIDIA 7900GT 256MB
160GB Western Digital HDD
Antec SONATA II Computer Case w/ 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 PSU
I am having a bizarre (IMO) problem. I built this PC over a year ago, but in the last month or so I have had trouble turning on the system. If I shut down my PC and attempt to turn it on by pressing the power button on my case, one of two things will happen:
1) Nothing -- no lights, no response, nothing.
2) The green power LED will flash when I press the power button, but the system won't start. If I hold the power button, the power LED will flash intermittently for as long as I hold the button, but the system won't start.
However, after pushing and holding the power button many times I can usually get the PC to power on (hence how I am able to type from it now). So the system DOES work, it's just a pain in the ass to try and get my PC to boot. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
I figure it could be the power supply, but if that's the case, why would my computer be able to turn on at all, and why would it run normally once I manage to get it to turn on?
I'd really appreciate any ideas or suggestions -- thanks in advance!
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ CPU
ABIT KN8 Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Motherboard
4 x 512MB DDR400 RAM (Corsair Valueselect)
NVIDIA 7900GT 256MB
160GB Western Digital HDD
Antec SONATA II Computer Case w/ 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 PSU
I am having a bizarre (IMO) problem. I built this PC over a year ago, but in the last month or so I have had trouble turning on the system. If I shut down my PC and attempt to turn it on by pressing the power button on my case, one of two things will happen:
1) Nothing -- no lights, no response, nothing.
2) The green power LED will flash when I press the power button, but the system won't start. If I hold the power button, the power LED will flash intermittently for as long as I hold the button, but the system won't start.
However, after pushing and holding the power button many times I can usually get the PC to power on (hence how I am able to type from it now). So the system DOES work, it's just a pain in the ass to try and get my PC to boot. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
I figure it could be the power supply, but if that's the case, why would my computer be able to turn on at all, and why would it run normally once I manage to get it to turn on?
I'd really appreciate any ideas or suggestions -- thanks in advance!