Having a top tier reliability setup

carrierPigeon

Limp Gawd
Let's say you need a computer setup that's going to be there for you, very close to 100% of the time. By there for you, I mean that it's there for you to use without any problems, anytime you want to sit down at your desk and use it, almost like your life depends on it.

Let's assume that your computer is for "run of the mill" home computer use-- web browsing, word processing, spreadsheets, and a handful of other popular titles in the US-- Quicken, Quickbooks, tax software, CD/DVD playing or burning software, backup program (to cloud or external drive).

Here is the setup that I would envision so that it's basically always there when you need it:
several of the same Windows computer (computers A, B, C, D), every piece of hardware matching. Another set of computers, E, F, G with a different set of hardware. Further, each set of computers (A, B, C, D and E, F, G) would be a copy of the hardware in a mass market model that has proven itself in reliability. The metric of "proving itself," would be based on a lot of user reviews. The way that you would then implement the "plan" is that if the main computer exhibits a performance infraction, you move the hard drive from the infractor to another computer with the same hardware. You would create frequent system image backups, too.

I guess my point here is that when buying computers for your family, there is some benefit to buying more than 1 of the same computer. This way you can move a system image over to a different computer and have that be a quick fix, when you don't have time to deal with whatever problem your computer throws at you at an inopportune time.

Last edited:
Most reliable computer I've ever had has been my laptop. No OC, rigid Mg chassis etc. No failures in a decade.

I have had computers built for critical stage production use, my formula was;
Supermicro Xeon/Epyc board
At least two sticks of ECC ram (can pull one in live scenario if it fails)
Raid 1 SSDs (same here)
Dual redundant PSUs
UPS

I have built many friends/family PCs as you say and it's best to just do them with what is best at the time, not everyone buys a PC at same time as uncle joe... If you can get them on a similar platform (e.g. Ryzen) that would be smart. But with how often intel changes chipsets to fuck with consumers, you'd be shit out of luck.

Back