Having a real problem with multiple routers, any suggestions.

-Tetsuo-

Limp Gawd
Ok let me explain. I leased a house with some of my lifelong friends, there were at first 4 of us now there is a 5th, and routers just cant keep up. We are supplied cable internet through Charter communications, and at first we had a Linksys router, and it works well enough for a bit. After a few weeks however, whenever people would start to download, the internet, just surfing, would slow to a crawl. Nothing would open at all. So, we change from the standard router and get the belkin Mimo router, and it didnt even work at all. Somehow, the linksys had infected our little cable modem, as it would only work with the linksys! We culdnt even direct connect to the modem and get a signal, but plug it up to the linksys and it worked fine.

Now, we get a new modem and another router, the 2XR D-link one, it didnt work very well, then we changed to a standard D-lionk. It worked well for a while but then when we started heavy traffic, it would reset itself.

All of us are usually downloading, and 3 of us are playing FFXI a lot when we have time after work and stuff, and the routers we get just cant support it. We just got the Netgear Rangemax 240, the newer one with the external antenna's, yet still when we are all online and whe we fire up our games, everyone slowly gets dropped.

My question to you good sirs, is there a router out there, in this country, that can take a LOT of traffic. What is THE router that spawned all other router, the father of routing one might say? Even if its some $400 industrial, corporate router, just let me know and we shall buy it.

Charter high-speed is 3mbit down/256kbit up. It would be easy for 5 people to max out the upstream and cause everything to perform like crap. Especially easy if someone is using bittorrent to pull stuff down and has not configured their client to be nice.

To answer the router question though - I would recommend setting up a m0n0wall box if you really think it's the router. You don't need any fancy hardware.

as far as everyones connections being optomized, thats covered. If someone is using torrents, They have the upload capped low so as to interfere as little as possible. I dont know, i really feel its the router.

i forgot to add that its a mix of connections. Wired, standard wireless cards and mimo cards. we found that when everyone was wireless, it was working really well. But when i hard wired in my xbox360 for FFXI, the connection problems fired up again

I'd explore the Belkin unit some more. Which model cable modem? Power it off for several minutes..then power it up to the Belkin...this should allow it to "forget" the MAC of the Linksys unit.

You could either go with a dedicated PC running m0n0, pfsense, etc. or grab a used Cisco router. Either option will work way better than the consumer grade routers.

Back