Having a problem with shares on local network

Ingonuts13

[H]ard|Gawd
So everything was working fine on my fileserver untill this morning. Basically every time I try to access any shared drives from another pc on my network it tells me I do not have permission and should contact administrator.

So I tried to boot into safe mode with networking and it seems that sharing works fine then. It has to be something with one of the programs running but for the life of me I cannot figure it out.

The fileserver has these specs:

3Ghz P4
2GB Ram
Asus Mobo
Promise Raid Controller
Windows XP pro
NAV 2005

File Sharing is Enabled.
Firewall is Off.
It is on the same workgroup as the other PCs.
Yes I can access shares on my other computers from the fileserver.

What else do you need to know?

Any help would be appreciated as I am completely stumped as to what is causing this problem.

*File Sharing...are you using "Simple File Sharing"? Or flipped it back to conventional NT style?
*Firewall...were you just using the WinXP one?
*Workgroup is irrelevant, contrary to what appears to be a common belief...computers of different workgroups can always access each other.

Are you logging onto this computer with a new local account? Ensuring that the exact same username and password have also been entered to the local users group on your fileserver? And your share includes that user/group?

Thanks for the feedback. Actually I figured out what is causing it.

NAV2005 has Internet Worm Protection running. I disable this feature and found that I was able to once again access my shares.

Now the question is, how do I re-enable it and properly set it up so that I can run the work protection and still get at my shares?

To answer your questions YeOldeStonecat:

1) Using Simple Style Filesharing
2) XP Firewall is OFF..I did notice however when I checked it that it said "A" firewall was on. This is how I traced the problem down to the worm protection as it is in essence a firewall.

3)The shares have no password protection on them. They are just open shares on the network.

Back