• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Having a problem with my GTX480

BKD

n00b
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
11
I have one of the PNY GTX480's. The computer, sometimes boots fine, but after a while it may crash or if I reboot for any reason I will get a string of errors where the VGA will not be detected and will not complete booting.

I have an intel i7, an 850 watt PS. Any ideas. I had absolutly no problems with my GTX295? Tried two different sets of drivers...

:confused::confused:
 
Check your connections. I had a failed boot due to the 6 pin power connector not being all the way plugged in.
 
I did and that's what I was starting to think about was maybe some type of short. I rechecked everything and everything is tight as can be.
 
This is my power supply...
TR2 RX-850
GENERAL:
- Wattage 850 Watts
- Fan 140 mm
1800 rpm ± 10%
Air Flow: 82 CFM
- Efficiency 86% +
- PFC Active PFC
- Hold-Up Time 17 ms
- Switches ATX Logic on-off additional power rocker switch
- Motherboard Connectors 24-pin Main Connector
8-pin Power Connector

- Power Good Signal 16 ms
- Form Factor ATX 12V 2.3
- Dimension 6.3 x 5.9 x 3.3 inch (L)x(W)x(H)
180 x 150 x 86 mm (L)x(W)x(H)
- Warranty 5 Years
- Certifications ATI CrossFire X Certified
80 Plus Certified
AC INPUT:
- Input Voltage 100 VAC~240 VAC
- Input Current 115 VAC / 15A max
230 VAC / 10A max
- Input Frequency Range 50 ~ 60 Hz
- Inrush Current
- Operating Range
- MTBF >100,000 hours
- RFI / EMI CE, CB, TUV, FCC, UL, CUL, BSMI
DC OUTPUT:
- Output Table
ENVIRONMENT:
- Operating Temperature 10 ℃ to 40 ℃
- Storage Temperature -40 ℃ to 70 ℃
- Operating Humidity 20% to 85%, non-condensing
- Storage Humidity 5% to 95%, non-condensing
PROTECTION:
- Over Voltage Protection +5V trip point @ 7.0 Vmax
+3.3V trip point @ 4.5 Vmax
+12V trip point @15.6 Vmax
- Over Current Protection Yes
- Over Load Protection Yes
- Over Termperature Protection Yes
- Under Voltage Protection Yes
- Short Circuit Protection Yes
 
What about heat? I have the card as cool as I can get it, but the reboot issue mostly happens after use. What do you think, would that stop the video card from posting on reboot?
 
What about heat? I have the card as cool as I can get it, but the reboot issue mostly happens after use. What do you think, would that stop the video card from posting on reboot?

Download GPU-Z and activate logging of temp. That shows also VRM temps and such. :)
 
I downloaded the nvidia tools and turned up the fan speed. This does help. I am definitly leaning towards heat issues. I believe the range now goes to about 54-to about 80 or 85 under load (c). I have one of those Haf cases. Any good cooling tips?
 
I downloaded the nvidia tools and turned up the fan speed. This does help. I am definitly leaning towards heat issues. I believe the range now goes to about 54-to about 80 or 85 under load (c). I have one of those Haf cases. Any good cooling tips?

watercool it? :)
 
I have one of the PNY GTX480's. The computer, sometimes boots fine, but after a while it may crash or if I reboot for any reason I will get a string of errors where the VGA will not be detected and will not complete booting.

I have an intel i7, an 850 watt PS. Any ideas. I had absolutly no problems with my GTX295? Tried two different sets of drivers...

:confused::confused:

I wonder if that PSU has an issue...
 
Might want to read this review about the TR2 RX psu's. I remember reading this a while ago and then I saw your model and went hunting for the article again:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/902/9

I know yours is the 850w model but it's still a TR2 RX--

Thermaltake TR2 RX 750 W is, according to our methodology, a flawed product that must be avoided at all costs. It can’t deliver its labeled wattage at high temperatures, but this is not the worst of it: ripple and noise level are way above the maximum allowed when you pull 80% or more from the unit’s labeled capacity (i.e. 600 W and above), overloading your components (especially electrolytic capacitors from the motherboard and video cards), which can cause your PC to present an erratic behavior (crashes and random resets) and, under extreme conditions, damage components.

Maybe it's a long shot but I just thought I would share the article.
 
Now that I think about it, the PSU is likely the issue. When I had boot problems that you described, it was the loose 8-in PCI-E power. If you have another PSU try it out. Like the above posts I'm skeptical about the TR2.
 
Might want to read this review about the TR2 RX psu's. I remember reading this a while ago and then I saw your model and went hunting for the article again:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/902/9

I know yours is the 850w model but it's still a TR2 RX--



Maybe it's a long shot but I just thought I would share the article.
Thanks I'll give it a read, but I am pretty sure that I have nailed the problem down to heat. If I can keep the card cool enough there are no issues... knock on wood.
 
Thanks I'll give it a read, but I am pretty sure that I have nailed the problem down to heat. If I can keep the card cool enough there are no issues... knock on wood.
Well maybe I will look into a new PS. Any recommendations?
 
What are your system thermals? i.e. air temperature within the case? I seem to recall that PSUs deliver less than their rated power the higher temperature they are.
 
get the bfg ex-1000 from tiger direct, onsale right now. make sure to use bing cash back, 149 right now-30mail in rebate-19 dollars in bing cash back, after all it is 100 bucks and you cant beat that price for that psu. I am thinking about ordering one for myself.

Edit: Ordered one for me today and they shipped it in an hour, epic speed. 100 bucks is not a bad deal for that psu. quad rail with 36 amps each.
 
Last edited:
For those that have the GTX 480, dual monitors, what kind of temps are you getting at idle? Under load?
 
get the bfg ex-1000 from tiger direct, onsale right now. make sure to use bing cash back, 149 right now-30mail in rebate-19 dollars in bing cash back, after all it is 100 bucks and you cant beat that price for that psu. I am thinking about ordering one for myself.

Edit: Ordered one for me today and they shipped it in an hour, epic speed. 100 bucks is not a bad deal for that psu. quad rail with 36 amps each.

It's cheap for a reason: only 1 year warranty while everyone else is 3-5 years.
 
I'm surpised with the heat the GTX 480 puts out no one has had a melted 6 or 8 pin connection yet.

I'm going with PSU as well here.
 
I'm surpised with the heat the GTX 480 puts out no one has had a melted 6 or 8 pin connection yet.
That would be more likely from a bad connection. The heat isn't high enough to melt either the plastic or connector pins.
 
www.bfgtech.com within thirty (30) days of the original purchase date to activate the lifetime warranty.

Yeah it's pretty much true like it has been for years.
 
Last edited:
well, read what? TD site indicates its one year, and they don't mention anything about lifetime warranty. Good for BFG, if it's real. And there's no need to turn this into a contest, what are you, in high school or something?
My link above said:
Lifetime Warranty* and 24/7 Tech Support†
...
* Product must be registered on www.bfgtech.com within thirty (30) days of the original purchase date toactivate the lifetime warranty. Upon registration the product isprotected for the warranty period in the United States and Canadaagainst defects in material and workmanship. Warranty coverage issubject to the provisions available at www.bfgtech.com and products not properly registered will be covered by a one (1) year limited warranty from the date of purchase.
All in good fun. :)
 
There's a threwad in the sale thread, a guy has 2 very nice 160$ beasts of PSUs.

A Silverstone 1200W psu, and Enermax 1050W.
 
Back
Top