Having a memory/motherboard issue, any advice?

t4keheart

Weaksauce
Hey everyone.
New (to me) rig I'm working with here...

It's got a gigabyte B360 HD3 for the motherboard, and it's running 32gb of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (CMW16GX4M2C3000C15)

More info on the mb:
Gigabyte B360

So, it's 2x 16gb kits, to make a total of 32 gb.

The problem is that when all memory modules are inserted, it won't POST. It just goes into a boot cycle and never hits post, and reboots continuously.
I remove 2 modules, so now I'm just running 16GB in slots 1 and 2. Problem occurs when slots 3 and 4 are populated with the remaining ram modules.

I reset cmos, and upgraded to the latest stable version of BIOS. Any additional input?
Is there some setting in the bios I should be looking for? The system is not overclocked at all.

The modules all seem good, as it doesn't matter which modules are inserted into slots 1 and 2, it works.

Should add that I didn't buy the memory... so I have no idea which 2 modules came with each other.... and I've tried every possible combination of each stick in each slot possible... it will boot with any of the 2 sticks in any of the 2 slots... the moment any additional ram is added (more than 2 sticks), it goes into boot loop.

Last edited:
So you mean that actually you have more DIMMS (another kit) and that these extra DIMMS may be incompatible? You are installing a total of 48GB? This is the original 16GB and the new 32GB, correct? The first issue is the fact that the DIMMS may be the same moniker release name and such, but not the chips used in the original installation kit (16GB). For example, the original kit could be made from Hynix chips, and the newer 32GB kits can be made from Samsung. One kit can be dual rank and the other single. It seems that you answered most of your question though. You can only have the original 16GB kit installed or the newer 32GB kit installed because of compatibility.

If you can boot into Windows without issue with each kit individually installed, you then you can use CPUz to see the SPD information. Looking at the bank (slot #) will reveal the maker of the chip (DRAM manufacturer field). If they differ then you cannot mix at all, and why the controller cannot train the RAM when all banks are installed. If they were part of the same manufacturing cycle and the same chips you then most likely could mix, and would not have had the training no boot issue from the start.

Just to note the manual page 10: "When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used. " Especially note, the "chips" part.......

So you mean that actually you have more DIMMS (another kit) and that these extra DIMMS may be incompatible? You are installing a total of 48GB? This is the original 16GB and the new 32GB, correct? The first issue is the fact that the DIMMS may be the same moniker release name and such, but not the chips used in the original installation kit (16GB). For example, the original kit could be made from Hynix chips, and the newer 32GB kits can be made from Samsung. One kit can be dual rank and the other single. It seems that you answered most of your question though. You can only have the original 16GB kit installed or the newer 32GB kit installed because of compatibility.

If you can boot into Windows without issue with each kit individually installed, you then you can use CPUz to see the SPD information. Looking at the bank (slot #) will reveal the maker of the chip (DRAM manufacturer field). If they differ then you cannot mix at all, and why the controller cannot train the RAM when all banks are installed. If they were part of the same manufacturing cycle and the same chips you then most likely could mix, and would not have had the training no boot issue from the start.

Just to note the manual page 10: "When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used. " Especially note, the "chips" part.......

Incorrect- sorry if I wasn't clear enough. The goal is 4x 8gb dimms, all the same. 2x 16gb kits of Corsair Vengeance RGP pro.
It only boots with 1 kit inserted (16gb), when all 4 dimms are installed (32gb) it won't boot.

Goes into an immediate boot loop and won't post. It's the same exact memory that currently is running in the machine, so there are no compatibility issues.

The problem, I think, may have to do with the PSU. For some reason, the person who built this machine chose a 500W psu. It's got a GTX 1070 TI SC, a capture card, various other peripherals, fans, lights, etc. Perhaps there's just not enough power to run all 4 of the dimms? I don't know though, because I tried removing the graphics card and running through the onboard video with all 4 dimms installed, and still had the same issue.

If you move the RAM from slot 1 and 2 to slot 3 and 4. What happens? Will the two stick of RAM still boot from the other slots?

Incorrect- sorry if I wasn't clear enough. The goal is 4x 8gb dimms, all the same. 2x 16gb kits of Corsair Vengeance RGP pro.
It only boots with 1 kit inserted (16gb), when all 4 dimms are installed (32gb) it won't boot.

Goes into an immediate boot loop and won't post. It's the same exact memory that currently is running in the machine, so there are no compatibility issues.

Was this purchase of 4x8GB a 4 DIMM kit purchase, or was this two individual kits at different times within a period of time? If they are not many manufactured within the same week processing the DIMM's can and most likely are to be non-identical. You are focusing too much on what you think by thinking they are the same "DNA" due to the moniker. Secondly, power is not an issue with the DIMM's, because at boot you would be at SPD 1.2v (https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...RGB-Black/p/CMW16GX4M2C3000C15#tab-tech-specs) before you make any changes to configuration for the controller.

You need to prove that both kits are the exact chips used in every DIMM. By chips, I am meaning, the RAM that is soldered onto the PCB. You most likely have two different manufactured weeks of DIMM's which can mean two different pairs of DIMM's. Even if all four are made by Corsair, have the same stickers, have the same heat spreaders, et al.

Since you seemingly can boot into Windows from the statement that either work, but not all. Do boot, and load with each of the kits individually installed into WIndows and use CPUz to see the DRAM manufacturer if stated in the PROM. You will most likely then solve your issue. This is one simple way to solve the problem.

If the the DRAM manufactured is different: THEY ARE AND WILL NOT BE COMPATIBLE. ( manual page 10: "When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used.)

If you can prove that they are the exact same RAM chips in all 4 DIMM's, then this will mean your issue is elsewhere. This is the first important step. But since you cannot train the RAM with all 4 banks occupied-even at SPD-means that they most likely are not the same identical chips used for all four.

If all sticks and slots work independently, you could try manually setting the clocks/voltage/timings for the DIMMs rated speeds. Im not sure if its been asked yet, but do all the DIMMs at least appear to be visually identical? (same stickers, same chip config, same rank etc..)

You could also try giving the voltage a slight bump, if its stock @ 1.2 try 1.23 or 1.25.

^^ that. with 2 stick in, bump the voltage and manually set the timings. you might even need to lower the speeds since the board only supports up to 2666.

If all sticks and slots work independently, you could try manually setting the clocks/voltage/timings for the DIMMs rated speeds. Im not sure if its been asked yet, but do all the DIMMs at least appear to be visually identical? (same stickers, same chip config, same rank etc..)

You could also try giving the voltage a slight bump, if its stock @ 1.2 try 1.23 or 1.25.
Correct- all the slots and sticks work independently, so I don't know what the problem is. I was thinking it's the PSU only being 500W with a 1070GTX ti sc, but I really don't think that's it anymore.

Yes the sticks all look visually identical, stickers, codes/numbers, etc.

I don't know much about setting ram configs, if somebody could help me out with a suggested setting that would be super helpful.

The sticks details are:
2x kits of CMW16GX4M2C3000C15
DDR4 16gb (2x 8gb) 3000 MHz, 15-17-17-35 1.35V

So with 2 sticks in, manually config the timings to 15-17-17-35 with a slight bump to the voltage?

Then when I put the other 2 sticks in, will they fall in line with that same config? I was under the impression that the motherboard would "clock down" the ram to it's max compatible specification.

Whoever bought the RAM really doesn't know what they're doing if they planned to pair with this motherboard. I would have just bought something compatible at stock speed

As I said they are most likely not the same RAM chips. I knew it wasn't voltage, and wouldn't work. The memory would have retained if compatible, but couldn't . Now you reset the CMOS, clearing the training or even the XMP configuration but the controller still cannot operate all four banks installed. When you reset the CMOS the default SPD of 2133 should have been default at boot if all DIMM's are compatible. Then if XMP has 2666 profile you should be able to select that timing.

Now, the first proper technical support 101 anything you have said so far is: "Whoever bought the RAM really doesn't know what they're doing if they planned to pair with this motherboard. I would have just bought something compatible at stock speed"

I understood this-immediately-knowing the capability of the EFI and motherboard support. The board's limitation is 2666 with XMP, or SPD. You do not even know what timings are programmed in the PROM for boot/training. You do not even know the making of both kits.

You need to dig deeper.....good luck

Correct- all the slots and sticks work independently, so I don't know what the problem is. I was thinking it's the PSU only being 500W with a 1070GTX ti sc, but I really don't think that's it anymore.

Yes the sticks all look visually identical, stickers, codes/numbers, etc.

I don't know much about setting ram configs, if somebody could help me out with a suggested setting that would be super helpful.

The sticks details are:
2x kits of CMW16GX4M2C3000C15
DDR4 16gb (2x 8gb) 3000 MHz, 15-17-17-35 1.35V

So with 2 sticks in, manually config the timings to 15-17-17-35 with a slight bump to the voltage?

Then when I put the other 2 sticks in, will they fall in line with that same config? I was under the impression that the motherboard would "clock down" the ram to it's max compatible specification.

Whoever bought the RAM really doesn't know what they're doing if they planned to pair with this motherboard. I would have just bought something compatible at stock speed

Correct, disable XMP or any auto features, and manually set everything with 2 sticks in. When setting the clocks manually, you highest stepping might be limited to 2666 since thats what the board appears to be limited to, thats fine. Afterwards I would manually set voltage to stock, try 4 sticks, and if it doesnt work you could try a bump to 1.4 just to test.

EDIT - The system might have to reboot a few times in a row afterwards, just let it do its thing.

As I said they are most likely not the same RAM chips. I knew it wasn't voltage, and wouldn't work. The memory would have retained if compatible, but couldn't . Now you reset the CMOS, clearing the training or even the XMP configuration but the controller still cannot operate all four banks installed. When you reset the CMOS the default SPD of 2133 should have been default at boot if all DIMM's are compatible. Then if XMP has 2666 profile you should be able to select that timing.

Now, the first proper technical support 101 anything you have said so far is: "Whoever bought the RAM really doesn't know what they're doing if they planned to pair with this motherboard. I would have just bought something compatible at stock speed"

I understood this-immediately-knowing the capability of the EFI and motherboard support. The board's limitation is 2666 with XMP, or SPD. You do not even know what timings are programmed in the PROM for boot/training. You do not even know the making of both kits.

You need to dig deeper.....good luck

congratulations ... you know everything

probably just going to sell all of it and get a 32gb kit that'll just work

i wish i had all your 1337 ram knowledge :(

Correct, disable XMP or any auto features, and manually set everything with 2 sticks in. When setting the clocks manually, you highest stepping might be limited to 2666 since thats what the board appears to be limited to, thats fine. Afterwards I would manually set voltage to stock, try 4 sticks, and if it doesnt work you could try a bump to 1.4 just to test.

EDIT - The system might have to reboot a few times in a row afterwards, just let it do its thing.

cool, thanks ill give it a shot

congratulations ... you know everything

probably just going to sell all of it and get a 32gb kit that'll just work

i wish i had all your 1337 ram knowledge :(

I do not know everything, but I do have some experience in which I shared with you. You, however, disregarded any of it and thought it was elsewhere. What I advised is up there to read and try, but it is true that if I am correct or not, you will be buying new RAM or staying with the larger amount that works. But, personally, I would rather know why so as to know later for knowledge.

One thing I didn't mention, but has me thinking, be careful with all the installing and swapping. The system when the power is toggled on have a small flow and often indicated by a light if integrated. Always turn the power off before any changing installations happen. You can use this utility (https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) to see the SPD/XMP configurations. Take a pic of this like this with one set, and then the next. See if they differ, or see if the problem is still elsewhere?

Attachments

• GSkill 2666 Info.png
    GSkill 2666 Info.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 0
Back