having a DNS brainfart

shnelson

Limp Gawd
I recently started a home AD deployment, and decided I wanted to use a public domain name that I have registered (.com address). I have a website hosted through a reseller account (hostgator) with my own set of nameservers for it. Everything is working fine as far as that goes.

However, within my new domain, I can no longer browse to my website as it shares the same name. This part makes sense to me, as internally everything is going to see mydomain.com as internal domain and not route further. What I'm struggling with, is how do I instruct my internal AD DNS server to look to my hostgator nameservers for resolving www requests?

Down the road, I'd also like to host my own e-mail on an internal exchange server (testing again), so I want to make sure my internal DNS environment is set up proper for that.

On your local DNS server, create a local DomainName.com Zone and add @, www, etc entries to that. you don't need to reference your HostGator Name servers, just the IP associated with your website.

^^ This will work, although you wont need to create the zone.. it's already there, just create the www entry.

A suggestion: don't name your home AD domain the same.

You usually don't want to name your internal domain the same as your external. Use yourdomain.local instead of yourdomain.com. You can still use the .com one, but you run into some issues, like you've already found out.

Thanks guys. I had tried a www record pointing to the IP, but didn't have any luck getting it to work last night.

I agree with not using a public domain name, but MS reference has me torn on my decision (the purpose of my lab is to study for MS certs, so trying to go by their book, even if it doesn't make sense):

From http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738121(v=WS.10).aspx
It is best to use DNS names that are registered with an Internet authority in the Active Directory namespace. Only registered names are guaranteed to be globally unique. If another organization later registers the same DNS domain name, or if your organization merges with, acquires, or is acquired by other company that uses the same DNS names, then the two infrastructures cannot interact with one another.

Note
Using single label names or unregistered suffixes, such as .local, is not recommended.

Making note of this little discrepency, I might just re-architect this design to avoid conflict with external resolution. Their verbage also goes into further explanation that this could only present issues in global aquisition of other domains etc.

Thanks guys. I had tried a www record pointing to the IP, but didn't have any luck getting it to work last night.

I agree with not using a public domain name, but MS reference has me torn on my decision (the purpose of my lab is to study for MS certs, so trying to go by their book, even if it doesn't make sense):

From http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738121(v=WS.10).aspx

Making note of this little discrepency, I might just re-architect this design to avoid conflict with external resolution. Their verbage also goes into further explanation that this could only present issues in global aquisition of other domains etc.

You want to either use something like .local or a subdomain of your registered name like ad.domainname.com or internal.domainname.com. There's apparently a problem with using .local with Macs but I don't have any so I can't comment.

Back