Having a beast of a troubleshooting problem with RWW on SBS

YeOldeStonecat

[H]F Junkie
This one is killing me on one SBS server I have.

An existing SBS Server which has been running for about 2 years..and RWW was working great up until recently. Now, when one VPNs into their network..and logs into RWW...selects the computer they wish to remote into..this error comes up:

VBScript:Remote Desktop Disconnected

The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer. The most likely causes for this error are:

1) Remote connections might not be enabled at the remote computer.
2) The maximum number of connections might be exceeded at the remote computer.
3) A network error might have occurred while establishing the connection.
4) The Remote Web Workplace designated port might be blocked by a firewall.

Now...it works internally..if I go to one of the workstations on their network...go to the RWW site...and select another workstation or a server...it RDP comes up fine.

But if I come into their network from the outside...I VPN in...it will not work anymore..that error comes up as soon as I select the PC to RDP into and click the Connect button.

However..doing a direct RDP session always works. This is the interesting part.

The server is an HP Proliant DL380 G5, SBS2K3 R2 Standard Edition. Single NIC.

So 3rd party software firewalls.

I do not have any services available to the outside world...all of their staff must VPN in before pulling up RWW or OWA. The VPN device is a Juniper SA700 SSL VPN appliance..it's been in production for over 2 years now, and has worked great. At the time the RWW issues surfaced..nothing had changed on the Juniper appliance. I upgraded the IVE (firmware) last night to the latest version just to see if it would fix the issue..nada.

The network is all on a single IP range..10.1.1.xxx, no VLANs or anything like that.

Server had Sharepoint reinstalled due to a botched "upgrade" attempt to Sharepoint 3..before I had found the proper way to do a parallel install of Sharepoint 3.

Server is running the newer WSUS.

In researching this issue...I found one person that had a similar issue..his DHCP had gone crazy and had too many stale leases. So I went in and shortened the lease time, as well as removed a bunch of stale leases, restarted DHCP service...no luck. The network is nearing 70 users..approx 30 of which are laptops users coming in and out several times a week.

Another find I stumbled across while researching was a mention of improper MTU on the firewall...I double checked that..they're on business class cable, a 10/2 connection, it's properly set at 1500 and I checked that with online tests. Firewall has also been in place for a over a year now..and it had been running fine through it.

I've rerun the CEICW many times.

I've run the BPA many times and followed the suggestions.

One note I shall add....approx the same time..but I cannot confirm it happened right at the same time....Microsoft support worked on an issue on this server..the server would go unresponsive at random times, with the lsass.exe process running away with 90% CPU utilization..a painfully long reboot of the server during this time would cure it...til it happened again. Sometimes just once a week, other times several times a week. Microsoft support remoted in..tried many things, perfmon, etc...finally they found some registry setting that they changed and it fixed the server hang issue. This is what he e-mailed me... the changes they made.

"PROBLEM: server goes unresponsive
RESOLUTION: We Check the lanmanserver parameters for a sizreqbuf and maxworkitems values, try setting the values as such:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmans erver\parameters]

"SizReqBuf"=dword:00001104

"MaxWorkItems"=dword:00002EE0
"

are you able to hit it without the VPN? openining hte port just to see if you can get to it externally?

i saw that issue when i was working with new machines with SP3 and IE7 already on it, didn't have the applet and also saw it when machines weren't up to date but those were sbs 2008.

Back