Have you guys seen this build? a machine that costs $30,000+

jzodda

Gawd
or more specifically this build video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFLorxs-SMU

I have never seen anything like it.

10 250GB SSDs, 2 590s, a $4k CUDA card, 2 $1700 Xeon procs and the list goes on. Amazing stuff.

I can't wait to see the finished product-before I go there and......errr impound that system as part of an official investigation. :D

Last edited:
I wonder what he is charging to customize and assemble that machine?

I wonder what he is charging to customize and assemble that machine?

I wonder about that myself. I also wonder about what monitors and sound system this rig will get attached to. Hopefully it will be just as nice as the hardware-would be a shame if its not up to the rest of the specs.

I wonder about that myself. I also wonder about what monitors and sound system this rig will get attached to. Hopefully it will be just as nice as the hardware-would be a shame if its not up to the rest of the specs.

He mentioned in the video that the client is a radiologist, so I'd assume some high-res medical displays, probably not too much focus on sound.

"For a client. . . " *Face Palm*

For a personal build I have no problems with doing something like that if you know how to use all of it. For a 'client', major issues. I hope he can support that build for as long as his client uses it. If his client does not, then it will become a 24K paper weight in the blink of an eye. As for the SSD performance, did he think about loosing TRIM support with RAID?

Wasted money :) as most of the things that are sold to hospitals :)

"For a client. . . " *Face Palm*

For a personal build I have no problems with doing something like that if you know how to use all of it. For a 'client', major issues. I hope he can support that build for as long as his client uses it. If his client does not, then it will become a 24K paper weight in the blink of an eye.

My feelings as well, the whole time watching the video I was thinking; Sure am glad I don't have to support that build! Too much crap to go wrong with something that complex.

If thats the case then they wasted about $27,500.

He said it is also for gaming with. Xeon processors are a waste of money though, IMO. And 20 fans is ridiculous and not needed, especially considering it is using water cooling.

Hideous case. No air filtering, poor layout. Lets order a custom case from the other side of the world and then have to modify it because its not custom at all.
Bad choice in fans. Bad choice in so much of the hardware.

This is just some rich doctor who wants to flaunt his epenis but doesnt know a thing about computers...nor does the guy building it for him.

Last edited:
I am curious to see how that Tesla sits in with the 2x590's

I can see it being a complication.

I think given the price and complexity the case and external water cooling box are poor choices. I would have wanted the entire setup in a rack mount given it's professional use.

Yeah everyone putting the guy down, but bottom line is there getting paid to do an insane build where the test of us would end up paying a divorce lawyer if we attempted it.
Posted via Mobile Device

In 18 months that system will cost under 10 grand. That's why I would never do it unless it was business critical.

A ... radioologist? I dont even want to click the link.
I've supported IT for some radiologists.. *rolls eyes*
For the guy's defense,
If its really hooked up to a radiology system, then yeah, some of those spec's may actually be needed.
Those MRI machines don't cost millions of dollars only to capture pictures your Iphone could beat.

Still, wtf would it need 20 fans? I have 2x5870 and my case has 5 fans and even that many is not really needed and I don't have water cooling either. More fans = more noise = not good.

I had an MRI done last year and the one I was squeezed into was too small for my large frame. Made me feel very claustrophobic, never again unless it is one that is much larger. Felt like I was trapped inside a coffin <shudder>.

Still, wtf would it need 20 fans? I have 2x5870 and my case has 5 fans and even that many is not really needed and I don't have water cooling either. More fans = more noise = not good.

Those fans are all 120 or 140mm and are likely to be spinning at less than 900rpm even when the system is under full load. At idle your system may be quieter, but I guarantee when your 5870 fans have to ramp up it won't even be close.

The other thing to consider is redundancy, with components in the sort of price range this is, and given that it's planned to be overclocked they probably aren't taking any chances.

I'm finding it hard to imagine this big yellow banana of a computer being used for anything resembling serious work, quite frankly what a decadent waste of money.

$30,000 worth of hardware and he picked the most ass-ugly case of all mankind.

In 18 months that system will cost under 10 grand. That's why I would never do it unless it was business critical.

+1,000,000
MRI usage or not, this whole build is a train wreak. Also, who says "Asus" like Aseuse" (go to 10:20 in the video to see what I'm talking about)?

Back