• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Have you disabled UAC

Have you disabled UAC


  • Total voters
    145
  • Poll closed .
I definitely agree with your 3rd point the most. I set up my dad's new computer for him recently. He shares it with my mom and my sister. I gave my mom and my sister both "user" level rights, and that's it. Little did I know, off the bat, my sister wouldn't be able to install or play the Sims , without tweaking or special settings. To me, that's ridiculous, and I blame EA for that. Someone had to know or figure kids with only user rights would be playing these games on their parents computers.
 
I'm going to summarize my opinions on UAC so that there aren't any misconceptions due to this unfortunate little spat

UAC should be left on at all times unless you are:
1. Setting up a brand new system (and it should be turned back on when you're done with the setup)
2. Not connected to the internet

My laptop is Case 2, which was my point with all my previous posts. Therefore, my choice is rational because the risk of turning UAC off is virtually nonexistant. However, my desktop's UAC will remain on (when I get Vista64 that is) because it is always online and I'm always using it to browse and such.

I definately recommend turning UAC off durring set up of a new system. I think a lot of people, new to Vista, get turned off towards UAC due to how often it goes off when setting a system up.
 
I don't get what's so annoying. Its like everyone watches that PC vs Mac ad and thinks everything they do on Vista gets this response. That's not the case. And when you get the prompt, its one more click. For example, if you're installing new graphic drivers, you're going to click 5-6 times to install it anyway. 6-7 clicks is all of a sudden annoying? Don't buy it. I also like the whole, "are you sure this is what you want to do?" nature of the system. I've clicked through so much stuff and did things wrong and ruined smoothly running systems many many times. A good example was last night, when some stupid codec was trying to install itself on a video site I was on. I got the cancel, allow prompt. I stopped and looked at details which put up a red flag for me, so I looked this up and found there are viruses associated by this self installing program.

After reading some of the well put posts on why it should always be on, I'm never turning it off. Its there for a reason. I guess they could change it from an onscreen question to making a thumbprint id system on your keyboard flashing.
 
I think a lot of people, new to Vista, get turned off towards UAC due to how often it goes off when setting a system up.
That's a very good point. I think many people form this opinion that UAC will always bug them like it does during a new setup. They don't give the system a chance to see how little it prompts you once the system is configured.

It's very similar to all the threads of people asking why their HDD was active all the time on a new Vista. Once that system did what it needed to do, the problem went away.
 
I don't get what's so annoying.

That depends on your personal usage patterns. If you're the type to set it up and let it go, and you're running well-behaved programs, it shouldn't be too annoying. If you like to mess around with things a lot, or if the programs/games/etc. you use aren't well-behaved, then the prompt could come up quite a bit.

One example of not well-behaved: the DivX updater that comes with 6.5.1 (latest and greatest, as of now). By default, it automatically checks for an update every so often (on mine it seems to be every other day). Properly written, at worst it should be able to check without prompting, but require a response if it finds an update. (For a codec, one could argue it shouldn't need that much access anyway.) As it is, I get a UAC prompt before it even goes to check. I'm annoyed, but not enough to turn UAC off.
 
(According to the Wikipedia entry on UAC - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control - File & Registry Virtualization is turned off when UAC is disabled. Thus, turning it back on breaks things.)

Question for the masses: does anyone know if this is actually true? If so, disabling UAC entirely wouldn't be that good of an idea... Disabling the UAC prompts, however, might make sense.
 
I dont know that virtulalization is turned off, I've never read that anyplace. however, if you dont have UAC on anything that wants admin rights to your PC can get it without your permission. This does limit some of the protections that Vista tries to provide.

Keep in mind the OS and its apps can not be fully secured in code. OS code is way to complex to do so. The UAC is like an extra barrier helping keep unwanted stuff from finding the holes in the code.

Some things, such as IE7 protected mode do not work with UAC OFF, which means any website on the net can then install stuff into your PC without prompting you.
 
If you want to turn off UAC without the prompts try this.....

Step 1. Click the Start button and launch the Local Security Policy editor by entering secpol.msc in the Search box.

Step 2. Select the Local Policies item in the left panel to expand the tree, then expand Security Options under Local Policies.

Step 3. Scroll down the list in the right panel to locate User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode. Right-click that item and choose Properties.

Step 4. Select Elevate without prompting and close the dialog.

If you use Vista Home Basic or Home Premium, the Local Security Policy editor, unfortunately, isn't included. To disable UAC for administrator accounts, you'll need to edit the Registry. Follow these steps to do that — and be extremely careful, since mistakes could render your system unusable!

Step 1. Click Start and enter regedit in the Search box to launch the Registry Editor.

Step 2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ System

Step 3. Double-click the ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin item.

Step 4. Change the value to 00000000.

Step 5. Close the dialog and exit the Registry Editor.

That's all there is to it!
 
I turned UAC off right when I set my machine up since I would be doing a mass of installs. Right after I was done, turned it right back on and that's where its staying.
 
Yes, on my gaming rig.. I don't do a lot of email or browsing on it.. just games and HD DVD watching..
 
I turned UAC off right when I set my machine up since I would be doing a mass of installs. Right after I was done, turned it right back on and that's where its staying.

And probably no issues either. :_)
 
The anti-cheat should be redesigned then. Even if there is no possible way to design an anti cheat without admin powers, it should at least be separated and standalone from the game, so that the game does not require escalation, and the anti-cheat can be run in the background like AV.
 
Back
Top