Have y'all noticed...

Vaulter98c

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2009
Just wondering, we've been making some serious gains on green team, any thoughts on to why? Did I miss something? Are we just that awesome?

We are awesome.

It is also their time of the month.

We have added and continue to add some very good machines to the mix in the way of SR-2s and 4p G34s. When a team can jump a half a million ppd with a single machine, that adds up quickly. We have a few new names showing up on the top 20 list, which is no small task for this team and is showing some of these new boxen.

But how are we out pacing them by THAT much?

i think lot of their folders have moved to the WCG group
Exactly. When PG announced bigadv was moving to a requirement of 16 threads, many of them emo raged and went to WCG and BOINC projects.

That's what happens when you're in it for the evga bucks and not the science I guess.

So we should make a bum rush to up the score and take our title back before 2013?

That's the plan. When I first started folding about a month ago, my goal was 3K PPD. Shortly after that it was 150K, now after the 4P machine I hope to be close to a mil.

Its a great cause and the points make it fun.

We have added and continue to add some very good machines to the mix in the way of SR-2s and 4p G34s. When a team can jump a half a million ppd with a single machine, that adds up quickly. We have a few new names showing up on the top 20 list, which is no small task for this team and is showing some of these new boxen.

It's been fun to get back into the top 20. ;)

and this is without dropper or patriot whose farms are offline at the moment.

Its also good to see a couple of oldtimers come back into the fold.

That's the plan. When I first started folding about a month ago, my goal was 3K PPD. Shortly after that it was 150K, now after the 4P machine I hope to be close to a mil.

Its a great cause and the points make it fun.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your clock on the 3930k and how many PPD are you getting on just that CPU alone?

I'm seriously contemplating a 4p G34 build, given that it looks like the core of it can be done for about $1k...

Lol, look at our 7 day versus Default as well as EVGA.
kakaostats.jpg

Lol, look at our 7 day versus Default as well as EVGA.
kakaostats.jpg

Just been looking myself, at current production we will overtake default long before EVGA!!!:D

And speaking of EVGA, our overtake is down to under 2 years, go [H]orde!!

As for the 4P for under $1000, youre going to be very hard pressed to make that happen unless you get slower chips, or maybe just 2 chips. 12c magny's or higher are still pretty pricey, and the board alone will chew up atleast half of that $1000, plus ram and fans and, well you get the idea

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of building a 4P, because, uh, they rock. I'm just saying if that $1000 mark is not able to sway a good bit, I'd run the numbers a few times before starting to buy parts. That said, I'd buy the motherboard first (unless you got a KILLER deal on the chips) but atleast with the board you can run it with as few as 1 chip.

As for the 4P for under $1000, youre going to be very hard pressed to make that happen unless you get slower chips, or maybe just 2 chips. 12c magny's or higher are still pretty pricey, and the board alone will chew up atleast half of that $1000, plus ram and fans and, well you get the idea

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of building a 4P, because, uh, they rock. I'm just saying if that $1000 mark is not able to sway a good bit, I'd run the numbers a few times before starting to buy parts. That said, I'd buy the motherboard first (unless you got a KILLER deal on the chips) but atleast with the board you can run it with as few as 1 chip.

This post is where I got the ballpark $1k figure for a 4p unit. It seems like it has more headroom than a 2p box and provides more ppd for the dollar than other options that are out there.

Yea, but he even states 1300 pretty much. Even if you have the board and chips for, no one has 4 g34 heat sinks laying around, or 16 matched ram sticks

also, I would suggest instead of getting 4 cheap low speed chips I'd try to snag 1 or two of thechips you want to end with. That way you don't get stuck with 4 slow chips that may lose a bunch of value by the time you can afford 4 nice ones. That way you never have to lose some value of some chips. Then you could piece together a full set as money comes up

Yea, but he even states 1300 pretty much. Even if you have the board and chips for, no one has 4 g34 heat sinks laying around, or 16 matched ram sticks

also, I would suggest instead of getting 4 cheap low speed chips I'd try to snag 1 or two of thechips you want to end with. That way you don't get stuck with 4 slow chips that may lose a bunch of value by the time you can afford 4 nice ones. That way you never have to lose some value of some chips. Then you could piece together a full set as money comes up

If your only spending $100 per chip, if they go down in value by %50.... I don't think you hurting too bad. And if they did drop that much, I'm sure your making it up with lower prices on higher end chips.

True, he does state $1300, but the figure to be presented to the wife would still be in the "ballpark" of $1k, if you see what I did there ;-). An extra $300 is still in the same ballpark even though it is out in left field....

Even though I've been contributing to F@H for over 10 years and have spent plenty of coin for point effective upgrades/additions over the years, I don't see myself spending more than ~$100 per socket on a 4p dedicated folding box. Since it'll probably be another year or two before the magnys hit that price point, I'll be fine selling the ones in it for peanuts and investing another $400.

If your only spending $100 per chip, if they go down in value by %50.... I don't think you hurting too bad. And if they did drop that much, I'm sure your making it up with lower prices on higher end chips.

Exactly. The main thing that I'm hestiating with on pulling the trigger is the $635 cost of the motherboard. But that's so close to a new SR2, it seems like a no-brainer with the $100 chips for the estimated 300k ppd add on

Well as long as you've got the proper mindset going in then more power to ya, I just didn't wanna see you get frustrated with the project and jump ship halfway through.

If you build it tho... Pics!!

Back