Have we seen the 'real' GeForce 6800 Ultra yet?

Originally posted by dderidex
If r500 really is the leap over r420 that it is SUPPOSED to be....nVidia better not think they can get by with a nv40 refresh! Unless, by 'refresh' you mean "put two cores on one card"!

Then you would need dual redundant 550W power supplies!! LOL

And I agree... I highly doubt the overclock on any vendor card will be 200Mhz... Thats a 50% increase!!! thats asking a little much.

200 Mhz on a 1Ghz part is on thing... (only 20% OC)
but 200Mhz (50% OC) on a 400Mhz part is not going to happen :(

No one said it was over clocked did they? Just clocked at 600mhz
The speed which the chip can be clocked is dependent on how it is made. NVidia may be able to make a 600mhz version of the GPU, but I dont feel it is very likely.

In all cases in buisness it is better to misinform your competitor. A paper launch does not constitute anything. ATi is shipping its cards earlier than NVidia, so the core maybe faster when it comes to ship so it wins all the tests.
But the XT comes out after the NVidia flagship. So the XT will be better if ATi's offering can be clocked high and it doesn't get delayed.

Im putting my bets on the new matrix card being the best :D

Originally posted by obs
Do you understand the effect voltage has on overclocking at all? Hexus was reporting extremely low temps. 44C under load while overclocked to 420MHz. It would not be surprising to see a voltage increase in retail cards allowing for higher overclocks seeing how the temps look like they have considerable room in them.

I know all about volatage and I know that to get a 200 MHZ boost out of that silicon the voltage would be enough to burn out the traces, we are talking 200 MHZ here, go have a look around the net and see if you can see anywhere in the past where someone has managed a 200MHZ boost on the core.

This is not something which is possible as the core is currently limited to a max overclock of between 30 and 50MHZ no one has overclocked the NV40 higher, also has ANYONE measured the temps while overclocked, have you noticed how those details have been omitted, a 50% increase on the core would more than double the heat generated if you know anything about thermal dynamics, even with better silicon for the A2 revison I would say 500MHZ would be the max possible and we already know the cards are being manufactured on A1 silicon.

Remember the celeron 300A? Not saying it will happen, just that it is possible. Also, all these places saying 600MHz is something that just can't be discarded as a typo or mistake.

Arg I HATE THIS!
I've been saving up my money for months to buy the best nextgen! I can't stand the wait :(
Must... spend... money...
Must... replace... old... Ti4200... :(

I love how fast the cards are looking to be though :D

Originally posted by Julian
No one said it was over clocked did they? Just clocked at 600mhz
The speed which the chip can be clocked is dependent on how it is made. NVidia may be able to make a 600mhz version of the GPU, but I dont feel it is very likely.

In all cases in buisness it is better to misinform your competitor. A paper launch does not constitute anything. ATi is shipping its cards earlier than NVidia, so the core maybe faster when it comes to ship so it wins all the tests.
But the XT comes out after the NVidia flagship. So the XT will be better if ATi's offering can be clocked high and it doesn't get delayed.

Im putting my bets on the new matrix card being the best :D

It has to be overclocked unless Nvidia has a completly different core to the one which was reviewed which is highly unlikely as the core we have seen cant manage more than 30 to 50 MHZ overclock, even with a silicon revision a 500 MHZ core would be pushing it.

Albatron have made an error is all and it will be corrected in time, just wait and see.

Originally posted by obs
Remember the celeron 300A? Not saying it will happen, just that it is possible. Also, all these places saying 600MHz seems a little weird.

You are now delving into the processor world which is very different and definatly not comparable, GPU's are a lot different, also the celeron could be overclocked easily from the beginning of release it had none of the difficulties reviewers have had with overclocking the NV40.

It is not possible with a GPU.

What is stopping the 6800 design from being fabricated to
operate higher than 400mhz when we see CPU's today being
fabricated to operate in the Ghz range ? :)

It's a big die and it makes sense to offer lower speed if that
is what the wafer yields show. I think the NV40 design has
room to grow much like P4 has evolved with higher clock
speeds.

Perform a die shrink later to 0.09u and clock it to 800mhz >-- LOL <-- :p

It has to be overclocked unless Nvidia has a completly different core to the one which was reviewed which is highly unlikely as the core we have seen cant manage more than 30 to 50 MHZ overclock, even with a silicon revision a 500 MHZ core would be pushing it.

As conspiracy theory but as this must sound NVidia could add bits too the card to limit overclocks
They probably haven't though :D :D :D

I should work at the inquirer :rolleyes:

Originally posted by thylantyr
What is stopping the 6800 design from being fabricated to
operate higher than 400mhz when we see CPU's today being
fabricated to operate in the Ghz range ? :)

It's a big die and it makes sense to offer lower speed if that
is what the wafer yields show. I think the NV40 design has
room to grow much like P4 has evolved with higher clock
speeds.

Perform a die shrink later to 0.09u and clock it to 800mhz >-- LOL <-- :p

It would take so long to explain you would not believe and I dont think I know enough to give a detailed explanation, so the simplest way to put it is, never compare GPU's to CPU's as there are far to many differences, they cannot be compared.

using the current CORE which reviewers have there is no way to get it up to 600MHZ, even with the next silicon revision it would be very difficult and you make decreasing the die shrink seem easy while IBM are having diffuculty with 0.11, maybe when they perfect this the core speeds will rise but 600MHZ is one hell of a stretch and I cant see it being possible, maybe the NV45 core will be capable of it.

The 6800 u has room to grow. I dont see it being 400. I just dont. I guess we'll know in time.

Now albatron saying 600 may be a stretch.

I bet nvidia waits to see what the x800 does before upping the clock.
Providing it has headroom, they may save it for the product refresh down the road.

On the other hand people were unsure about the rumored 3d mark scores, and they werent thinking it would be such a leap. Nvidia may surprise everyone.

As the process matures I would suggest that GF6 GPU MHz will scale accordingly depending on market conditions.

The real question is not, "have we seen the real Ultra," but rather, "is there a 6850, 6900, or 6950 in the woodpile?"

I agree Nvidia might have the voltage low on these 400Mhz samples to keep the heat down, etc. (didnt want to pull another 5800 fiasco)

However, 50% higher clock... "OC" or "default speed" (like there's a difference) that much higher clock on 220 MILLION transistors would put out SO MUCH more heat... and require so much more juice (watts/power) it would be insane. Granted they could probably pull 500Mhz no problem... since the dev samples were at 475.

However, 600Mhz would be in the realm of OC'ers only with extreme case ventilation/cooling/water cooling.

I just dont see it happening... maybe at the 6 month refresh in fall along with 800Mhz (DDR 1,600Mhz)!! :)

By the way has anyone found a place with at least a prebuy date? I saw Alienware, last week... and they were selling it as a $414 upgrade option.. now it looks like a $540 upgrade option from an FX5200.

Originally posted by FrgMstr
As the process matures I would suggest that GF6 GPU MHz will scale accordingly depending on market conditions.

The real question is not, "have we seen the real Ultra," but rather, "is there a 6850, 6900, or 6950 in the woodpile?"

Hey I totally agree with that kyle but thats talking about the process maturing and that does not happen fast, we would be talking 6 months at the least and 600MHZ would still be pushing it even then, id say maybe they will reach 525MHZ within about 6 to 8 months and there wouldent be much overclocking potential left on the card, but even then there are strong rumours that R500 will be out before the end of the year which COULD make Nvidias refreshes pointless.

What im saying is people here think a quick upgrade is coming for the NV40 and some even think 600MHZ is possible while I get the impression its not going to be easy for Nvidia to get to 525MHZ never mind 600MHZ and thats in a 6 month period.

IF rumours are true about the Pro and XT core speeds for ATI (and they are only rumours to me until I see otherwise) of 500MHZ Pro and 600MHZ XT, Nvidia are going to have to push very hard to compete, there again you most likely have a R420 in your possesion so you know more about the particular performance of this card than I do :p

Originally posted by crazyspike
Hey I totally agree with that kyle but thats talking about the process maturing and that does not happen fast, we would be talking 6 months at the least and 600MHZ would still be pushing it even then, id say maybe they will reach 525MHZ within about 6 to 8 months and there wouldent be much overclocking potential left on the card, but even then there are strong rumours that R500 will be out before the end of the year which COULD make Nvidias refreshes pointless.

What im saying is people here think a quick upgrade is coming for the NV40 and some even think 600MHZ is possible while I get the impression its not going to be easy for Nvidia to get to 525MHZ never mind 600MHZ and thats in a 6 month period.

IF rumours are true about the Pro and XT core speeds for ATI (and they are only rumours to me until I see otherwise) of 500MHZ Pro and 600MHZ XT, Nvidia are going to have to push very hard to compete, there again you most likely have a R420 in your possesion so you know more about the particular performance of this card than I do :p
While I'm not entirely disagreeing with you, a 50% increase in clock would be substantial, I doubt if the core is even capable of it that it would be at the same voltage that runs the current 400MHz chips. Otherwise, what is the point of running the lower clock?

To my point tho, how do you absolutely *know* that Nvidia isn't being smart and holding a trump card by underclocking the current core so they can later release the 6850 or 6900 with a voltage bump and 200MHz tacked on for good measure?

I do understand steppings and cleaning up the production process increasing yields and raising speeds, but do you really think that Intel, AMD, Nvidia and ATI are really giving us the absolute best they have on a first release? What would be the point?

Back in the day of the P4 2.4A people were overclocking past the highest clocked P4's on air, yields were good enough but Intel cannot make as much money releasing the 3.2GHz P4 when it was originally possible as stepping the clock speeds up in increments and gradually lowering the price. They are in this business to make $$, making sure they have a better product available soon is a good part of that.

where getting some nice info in here maybe this should be a sticky somtime

Back