Have they stopped making AGP cards?

Whipsmack

Gawd
I'm wondering if I should wait a few months to get a card for the prices to drop a little. But if they've stopped making them then the prices prolly won't fall for a long time and i'll only be able to buy used eh?

As far as what the GPU makers are saying, no more AGP cards will be produced. the 6800\x850 lines are the last. That may change, but I wouldn't count on it. I'd pick one up now as they're going to become scarce in the future.

No more AGP cards!

No the X1600 cards won't be made for AGP. None of the X1000 series cards will be. There were rumors that nVidia would make a 7800 card for AGP, and that isn't going to happen. AGP is old technology. They want to phase it out. Makes perfect buisness sence.

If anything, prices on AGP cards will start to go up before too much longer, as they become more of a niche product and less of a mass-market commodity.

DougLite said:
If anything, prices on AGP cards will start to go up before too much longer, as they become more of a niche product and less of a mass-market commodity.

agree...

DougLite said:
Thats sad, when you think from the point of view of mainstream consumers. If their AGP 9600XT fails, and its out of warranty, what do they do? Apart from buying a second hand one, its completely new system time (or spend a small fortune on a new card tim), which from my experience isn't well appreciated by everyone who has a relatively new computer.

From enthusiasts point of view (as well as mobo and video card makers), less AGP is great. For everyone else, it could well mean trouble and expense down the road.

DougLite said:

In retail they already have. CompUSA sells the AGP versions of the 6600's for about $19-29 more.

Back