have original WinXP CD, I want SP2

pcfountain

Weaksauce
I have an OEM CD of Windows XP Home, the original version from when it first came out. Problem is, it now takes a couple hours of downloading, installing, and rebooting on Windows Update to get to a fully patched SP2 system. Is there a FREE (or very cheap) way to exchange it for a new CD so I don't have to go through that hassle when I reinstall Windows? (which will be soon because my motherboard needs to be replaced.)

You can "add" SPs to the original disk using a process called slipstreaming. There is a tool, Autostreamer, that will create the CD using the original XP disk + the SP2 download.

i think he posted that link so you could get the CD instead of downloading it over and over again. i myself had MS send me SP2 on CD so i have that with my original disk, just incase my Nlite CD gets scratched or corrupt somehow, i wont have to redownload SP2

I'll look at Autostreamer, but I usually use NLite, because then I can integrate all the hotfixes, SP2, drivers, and everything else via an unattended CD, so it just installs on the fly and I don't have to touch a thing.

But, for just slipstreaming SP2, yeah, it's probably overkill, unless you only have an WinXP SP1 install disk and want to make a WinXP SP2 install disk.

drdeutsch

Back