• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Have bonus, need card.

ebeattie

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 29, 2007
Messages
441
Ok. So many of you here had helped me decided that my core system is fairly weak. I wont spend time with the details, but my system is 3 years old. :D Playing BC2, BF43.

I got paid today and found that I had done enough to get a $300 bonus! yay! Seeing that I need a new video card in the future along with new core components, I figured Id splurge and get myself a new video card to upgrade my 8800 GTX. Yes I know I need a new CPU/mobo/ram (Fx-60/dfi lanparty nf4/2GB DDR400), but a new i7 rig will cost me around 800 bucks with a new copy of Win7.

So, Ive decided to get a video card first, and see how BF plays. Will need a new card anyway, why not see how it does! If it does well enough that I dont feel Ill need a core upgrade then fuck yeah! If its not much better, then I still will have a fast video card for my next system regardless of flavor I choose to get.

I have my two choices narrowed down to an XFX 5850, or a BFG GTX 285. this is purely based off a price point of my bonus with an extra $100 kicked in. Will not be considering a 5870 or GTX 295 or any Fermi card. If Fermi proves to be something decent, or at least a refresh comes out a few months after initial release, thats what the BFG trade-up program will be for.

Both the 5850 and 285 have similar performance. I know the 5850 has less power draw than the 285 (at least from what I can gather). However guru3d's GTX 285 review showed real world gaming drew a total system draw of 400w. I got a 610w PCPC power supply so I think im covered.

So I say to you [H] members, ATI's 5850, or nvidia's GTX 285? remember these cards are up for contention because of price, tax, and shipping combined. Both are the same out the door.
 
5850 hasn't let me down other than BC2 taking 3x more time to load each map over nVidia cards (ATI directx driver issue)
 
well, considering that the 5850 is anywhere from 15%-30% faster than the 285 on average, you tell me which you think is the better choice
 
Certainly the 5850 has garnered my attention due to its incredible performance. the reason that I have a 285 considered is simply that its a proven performer WITH a possible trade up path for 100 days after purchase.

Both companies Im looking at offer lifetime warranties which is simply mandatory. However the big unknown so far IS Fermi. from all the rumors I have heard on these forums buy both users AND [H]'s reviewers indicates that Fermi based cards may simply best ATI's cards in performance by a few percent. But these are rumors only. Its possible that in the end, the first releases may simply be an even match with ATI.

Though as [H]'s own 5850 review shows, in every game tested its neck and neck with a 285. For me though, xbit's bc2 review shows that the 5850 beats the 285, however at my resolution (1920*1200) its a difference of a few FPS. Hardly something that concerns me.

It does seem I have a bit of a bias toward nvidia. Ive owned a first gen GeForce, a 6800 GT OC from BFG, a pair of EVGA 7900 GTOs, my trusty 8800 GTX, and for a time an 8800 GTS 640. However the first EVER card I used in my first EVER PC build was a humble but awesome Radeon 9600 256mb which served me well in BFV, Point of Existence on BFV, and HL2. The original GeForce was stock on my *GASP* PIII powered DELL :D .

Ive brought this to you guys to see both sides of this issue.

EDIT: Whats this issue with the Radeons and load times in BC2? Just saw the thread a second ago... eek!
 
Last edited:
I'm an nVidia guy so I'm looking forward to a GTX470, but I would totally love to have a 5850. Definitely was gonna buy it if Fermi had turned out to be the turd everyone thought it would.
 
Back
Top