Have a questions about my Win. server 2008 box.

Mycophiles

Limp Gawd
I've had the server about a year now and it's just been humming along nicely. No problems at all. However, recently I want it to start taking more of the workload from my other machines and have been dicking around with it. What I want to do but don't know how to do is setup a file server for my families pictures.

I did some searching for web server and found the IIS "role" to enable though I'm not sure if this will be what I want.

Since I really can't ask correctly what I want let me tell you what I'm looking to have. I want my family to be able to go to my domain (or my server IP ) and download and upload their pictures. Literally just a Page with links to folders of Pictures they can download or upload.

One other thing. How do I setup my server to Host the files. I have the domain but not sure on how to setup the computer to host the files.

Gallery is good for doing what you described...read up on the instructions on the site and they should point you in the right direction.

http://gallery.menalto.com/

Interesting, the only potential problem I see is getting PHP to work with IIS, I have never been able to get it working.

edit:
this is from thier website: "Microsoft's IIS (Internet Information Services) web server has also been known to work. However, the Gallery Team does not officially support the use of IIS, due to certain known difficulties with this platform. Generally, if you do not have Administrator access to the machine running IIS, it will either be extremely difficult or impossible to install Gallery. As a general rule, installing Gallery in a IIS hosted environment is not likely to succeed."

So it looks like you may need to use Apache

I don't now what kind of licensing you have with your server but SharePoint might be a simpler solution for what you're trying to do perhaps even more powerful if you really wanted to dig into it. SharePoint 2010 is amazing.

Sharepoint is a good idea

However, if you're 'tinkering' I would highly rec. you do so in a VM environment, if your computer can handle it. IIS is tricky to get working, so is sharepoint.

You will also need to config your router to allow inbound HTML (port 8080) traffic. However I would get the server up and running and test it internally first.

Specs are my sig minus the speakers/soundcard. I'll look into it. IIS i've been going round and round with. I'll look at VM and sharepoint.

I started playing around with SharePoint 2010 and it's a VERY slick product. What you want to do is pretty much included in the box. Setup a couple of picture libraries, easy as pie to setup though SharePoint is that kind of product. Easy to setup a lot of things but a very complex and powerful tool taken altogether.

I started playing around with SharePoint 2010 and it's a VERY slick product. What you want to do is pretty much included in the box. Setup a couple of picture libraries, easy as pie to setup though SharePoint is that kind of product. Easy to setup a lot of things but a very complex and powerful tool taken altogether.

/me wishes I had a server (and room to put it) to play with this stuff at home.

Back