Have a GTX 780, is there a VC worth upgrading too?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
So I am thinking of getting a new VC. I have a 780 now. Is there a card worth getting that would bring me a lot of performance upgrade? I figure I can sell my 780 for 150 or so.

So do I really have options without spending 700 bucks?

Any of the 980's work for me?

Still rocking my two 780s. They can pretty much handle whatever I throw at it including GTA5 at 2K Ultra settings. I think I am going to wait for whatever Nvidia has down the pipe for the holidays or AMDs 400 series.

The 980 Ti is rumored to be priced around $600 when that is released later this year and should give you a sizable performance increase. However, it is still just a rumor. I fully expect it to slot in between the 980 and TITAN X at around $700-$750. The new offerings from both AMD and NVIDIA are going to be announced officially next month.

Reference vs. reference, the GTX 980 is around 30% faster on average than a GTX 780. A lot of good GTX 980s can be found for around $550 US. The Gigabyte G1, MSi GAMING 4G, and EVGA FTW ACX 2.0 are all good choices.

Define your "worth" and your "a lot of performance". A stock and oc 970 could be somewhere from 15-30% better than a stock 780, for around 300 bucks depending on vendor and sale.

IMO a 980 isn't worth it compared to the 970, even with the problem the 970s have with the 3.5+0.5. If money isn't a problem then go for it.

Also if you're not in a hurry the 390X and 980Ti should release and you could see what those bring to the table in terms of performance and price.

A stock and oc 970 could be somewhere from 15-30% better than a stock 780.

According to the most recent TechPowerUp review of a card (so drivers are current) its 17% faster over an average of 19 games. Not worth it for that little increase. I'm still using a GTX 780 and have no plans to replace it at this point.

Maybe the AMD 300 series or the desktop Maxwell 3.0 refresh (a la 980ti). Otherwise, probably not worth an upgrade until 400 series or Pascal.

Well, unless you are wanting much less power draw and heat output while still getting a bit of a performance boost, then the 970 or 980 would be a win.

SLI would be for the best with 780 imo. it handles anything that it gets even at 2560x1440

Personally, I'm waiting. I'm sure that by the end of the year we'll have some solid options.

I'm also considering an upgrade from my 780 3GB.

I'll wait for the new AMD & NVidia cards next month and make a decision.

Memory is a factor, hoping 6GB to 8GB is standard fare for the new cards.

Back