• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Have 805, thinking to drop in this setup

ICE_9

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
3,459
My ECS mobo went a while back and I have had an 805 just waiting to get into a new board. I have been surfing for about 3 hours now and countless hours over the last few months to get the best deal. This is the build I want to go with. Let me know if you have had experience with any of the components and whether or not I should use them.

Barebones setup:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16856110071
Asus V3-P5G965 barebones computer. It comes with a Delta 250W (300W max) power supply. Also the board appears to be an Asus P5B-VM mobo.

RAM:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=85023-3
Kingston KVR667D2N5K2/1G 1GB Kit DDR2-667 PC2-5300. I picked this because it was the lowest cost QVL RAM for the motherboard at 1GB.

CPU cooler:
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-AC7PRO
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Fan For Intel CPU. I have seen a lot of people raving about this cheap cooler. Free shipping really helps this out.

Total cost to get this going is $246.45. I would like to order the RAM and cooler by tommrow. The case will have to come on the next paycheck. Tell me if this is a great base setup. I wanted something that will fit my 805 now and a Conroe next. Also, its small so it will fit on my Gruber shelves with no issues. Thanks ahead of time for your comments and suggestions.

This is posted in the folding forum because its a dedicated folder. I want folding experienced remarks.
 
Some one move me. And kids, don't post after being up all night.
 
Gruber = rackmount shelves ??

For the whole setup for a dedicated folder, I think it's a good one, especially the P5B which overclock nicely (not sure if the -VM version has the same options but I guess so, only having less options). The only thing i'm worried is the PSU but if you use it as a dedicated folder using the integrated graphics, 1 optical drive and 1 cheap hard disk, it's ok as most business computers have a 250W psu.

 
i have two 805's running as dedicated folders, one is using the same HSF your looking at and they work great. the chips overclock pretty well with the stock combo ECS mobos from the frys deal and i bet they will OC even better with the P5B. I got them up to 3.0ghz during january but with the hot weather they started overheating in my garage. if you keep them in a cool area i'm sure you'll get some great OC's out of them.
 
Yeah. Gruber is the rackmount shelves. I use them for a couple boards already. Here are the ones I have.

http://www.gruber.com/gruberind/Store/Products/34-105000.htm

The ECS combo is where I got both of my 805s. I couldn't get them to OC very well because of either the onboard video, or something else I was not aware of. I don't think the P4B will be a sure fire success at OC just because I am using the video portion again. My concern was for the power supply, case, and mobo. The power supply is a Delta and a low wattage one. This system will only have an 805, 1GB RAM, and a small HD in it. Everything will be onboard. If I could do it correctly, I would run Linux on a stick and save possibly even more power. These systems stay in my den in a rack. the room stays at 83-85 so far. Now it looks like I am going to have to do a UPS again. Power went off at noon for 3 seconds. It's 111F right now outside. It's going to be a long summer.
 
Back
Top