Have 4 port router; Can I add wireless router?

Bugbear

Limp Gawd
I have a linksys 4-port router (BEFSR41) and I would like to add a linksys wireless router to this configuration so that I can reach computers outside this main room, but I'd like to keep the computers in the main room connected by cat5 using the current router. I am clueless when it comes to these wireless routers. I am looking at this Linksys 802.11g Wireless Router but I am not sure about it because of all these 802.11 models. I'd like to stack the wireless router on top of my current router like so:
linksys_stack.jpg

Can this work? Basically I am wondering how the wireless router will connect to my current router and if there will be any issues that might complicate things with this setup. Thanks in advance.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, you can connect any wireless router to it. Few things though:

1. If you've got the cash to spend, you should look at draft-N/MIMO wireless routers, usually identifiable by their price and multiple antennas. In addition to "higher bandwidth" (108mbps), the range is greatly extended.

2. The procedure for hooking up any wireless router to an already existing router and forcing it to an AP is simple. Turn off the DHCP server in the wireless router, and assign it a static IP outside of the existing router's DHCP scope (ex. if current goes from 192.168.1.100-193.168.1.199, make the new wireless one 192.168.1.100, and change the range to start at .101 or .102 instead.)

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what "draft-N/MIMO" is. The other computers that will connect wirelessly do not need "great" speed performance. They will only be used for web browsing. The computers on the cat5 are for gaming, etc. Is this "draft-N/MIMO" really important for web browsing use? If so, is there a linksys model? I looked at the linksys website but I couldn't find one mentioning "draft-N/MIMO." The reason I want a linksys model is just so that I can stack it on top of the current router. I am trying keep the room as organized as possible.

Ah, I see. Assuming your router is one of those "cute" Barney-purple colored models ;) , I don't think the Linksys MIMO ones (I think they market 'em as SRX) are in the same form factor.

However, everyone's favorite WRT54G is in fact, the Barney purple stackable form factor.

As for MIMO, you may not need the speed, but the extended range is very nice to have, though the same can be acheived by upgrading the antenna(s) on your g router.

Actually if you're looking at adding wireless to your existing..your befsr41 is old...keep it simple by replacing it with a wireless router. Don't ADD a wireless router to it..replace it.

The wrt54g models you'll be purchasing now stink...the V5 sucks. The GS..same thing. The GL..marginal.

Go with a wrt54gx2 (srx200 baby Pre-N), a wrt54gx4 (srx400 Pre-N), or wrt300n (draft-N). The wrv200 units are pretty nice also..I've setup a couple of those..good features for the price..sort of slow web admin that needs a danged long reboot for each change you make.

If the "Linksys Wireless-G MIMO Router with SRX200" has the cable line capability, I'll probably just go with that to make things simpler. It's only about 50 bux more than the WRT54G. I'll have to double check to see if I can connect my main computers by cable and the rest by wireless.

Most, if not all wireless routers have 4 wired ports also.....you can still run your computers wired if you like.

Checked for you.

The WRT54GX, WRT54GX2, WRT54GX4 and WRT300N all have 4 port-switches built-in to them.

Thanks everyone. I ended up buying the WRT54G since the MIMO is not critical for the wireless computers in my use. However, like I said I am new to this wireless business, I didn't purchase a seperate pci wireless/antenna card for the pc's that will be needing the wireless connection. I'll have to hold off until tomorrow. I'm wondering if my isp (speakeasy) will offer me a couple of cards. I know my aunt who has yahoo dsl got a couple of wireless cards free in her package. Hopefully speakeasy can save me some $.

I had a BEFSR41 and upgraded to WRT54G V4 awhile ago, at that point it's best to just replace the unit, and run as may computers wired as you can, i got the wireless router for my laptop, and i have about 3 computers + laptop in the main room with the router, and in another room i have 3 other computers, so i just ran a cable from the router to the other room and into a switch there, so i could easily keep them wired, and just have my laptop wireless as it should be.

Ok here's the situation I am in. I am using a wired router to connect to the internet and I want to add a wireless router to the wired router for the computers outside the room. I tried only using the wireless router since it has 4 ports, but the thing lags my online games. I tried following the instructions posted by movac:

"2. The procedure for hooking up any wireless router to an already existing router and forcing it to an AP (I think he meant IP) is simple. Turn off the DHCP server in the wireless router, and assign it a static IP outside of the existing router's DHCP scope (ex. if current goes from 192.168.1.100-193.168.1.199, make the new wireless one 192.168.1.100, and change the range to start at .101 or .102 instead.)"

I'm not exactly sure if I set it up right because the computer on the wireless connection can detect the wireless router, but it doesn't get internet access.

I have the wired router configured normally except I changed its local IP range to 192.168.1.101 and up. On the wireless router I setup its local IP to be 192.168.1.100. I also disabled the DHCP on the wireless router. The way the wireless router is connected to the wired router is with a cable going from 1 of the 4 ports of the wired router into the internet/modem port of the wireless router. Once again, the computer using the wireless router can detect the wireless router but it cannot gain internet access.

Thanks for your help.

Bugbear said:
"2. The procedure for hooking up any wireless router to an already existing router and forcing it to an AP (I think he meant IP)is simple.

AP is Access point.......The rest I cant help with......

Bugbear said:
I have the wired router configured normally except I changed its local IP range to 192.168.1.101 and up. On the wireless router I setup its local IP to be 192.168.1.100. I also disabled the DHCP on the wireless router. The way the wireless router is connected to the wired router is with a cable going from 1 of the 4 ports of the wired router into the internet/modem port of the wireless router. Once again, the computer using the wireless router can detect the wireless router but it cannot gain internet access.

Thanks for your help.

Do you need more than 4 wired connections for your network?

If not, I would recommend simply removing your old router and using the WRT54G by itself.

No point in creating two points of failure where one device is sufficient for all your needs.

The connections on the wired router work. Only internet access is unattainable by the wireless computer. The reason I'm keeping the wired router has now become for low lag/ping when gaming. Even when I am wired to the wirelss router, the ping would get really bad at times, like packet loss and the screen would skip around and gameplay would be choppy.

Back