Hate to admit but iPhone still best over Android and BlackBerry :(

You dont want to install all 3 of those apps they conflict with eachother. Do you need the phone unlocked? If not just install cydia.

Try installing cydia, reboot, rock, reboot, snow, reboot instead of doing all at once.

I had a Touch Pro until about a month ago, all the windows mobile browsers are asstastically slow and/or don't render accurately. A fast/accurate browser with youtube support is worth way more than a slow and/or innaccurate broswer with youtube and hulu support imho.

Oh, and I have a 3GS but I've never touched/used a 2G or 3G.

Here's the thing, you can't debate and win when it's all based on opinion. That's why I tried to keep it simple with "can it or can't it do something." Opera works just fine for me. Or sometimes I use IE when I want to do logmein. Or I use skyfire when I want to watch flash video sites.

You dont want to install all 3 of those apps they conflict with eachother. Do you need the phone unlocked? If not just install cydia.

I want the iPhone unlocked to be usable on my T-Mobile account I currently have. But do I just keep my old ATT SIM card in the iPhone ? I thought I would need my T-Mobile SIM in the iPhone ? But the step by step instructions never mentioned anything about SIM cards.

Here's the thing, you can't debate and win when it's all based on opinion. That's why I tried to keep it simple with "can it or can't it do something." Opera works just fine for me. Or sometimes I use IE when I want to do logmein. Or I use skyfire when I want to watch flash video sites.

Well, see I don't call it opinion. Gozmodo says that Safari on the 3G is twice as fast as Opera on the TP and Safari on the 3GS is three times as fast as on the 3G. Six times slower is slow /shrug. And Skyfire looks like ass on an 800x480 screen, that's fact too, so it doesn't factor in to any of the new phones.

edit, nope it's worse than that since the article is from last year that means the 3G has os v2 and it's eight times slower than the 3GS with os v3. So twice as slow x eight times as slow = opera on a TP is sixteen times slower than safari on a 3GS.

Last edited:
So can anyone verify ? Do I need my T-Mobile SIM card in the iPhone to make the jailbreak actually work through blackra1n ? Or can I keep the old ATT SIM card in the iPhone and the blacksn0w app will just allow me to chose T-Mobile as a carrier and will just search and find my T-Mobile connection I currently pay for ?

I dont see how it could find your T mobile number without your t mobile sim card in there

Er, why don't you put the tmobile sim card in the phone and see if it works? Now that I understand the question. I'm new to this whole sim card thing, but there's no reason to think that an AT&T sim card would allow you to get service on Tmobile - from what I understand about it.

Well, see I don't call it opinion. Gozmodo says that Safari on the 3G is twice as fast as Opera on the TP and Safari on the 3GS is three times as fast as on the 3G. Six times slower is slow /shrug. And Skyfire looks like ass on an 800x480 screen, that's fact too, so it doesn't factor in to any of the new phones.

edit, nope it's worse than that since the article is from last year that means the 3G has os v2 and it's eight times slower than the 3GS with os v3. So twice as slow x eight times as slow = opera on a TP is sixteen times slower than safari on a 3GS.

That's a lotta fuzzy math. That first article is from a year ago, and so it this video which for all intents and purposes show them close enough to not even care about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlgnkdw3_Ns

As for the second article, I don't know anything about the Pre so I don't care. :)

The point is they work and work well. Besides, the browser is hardly the most important function of the device. It's a package deal. And once again I'd rather be able to do something regardless of speed than not have the ability at all. The funny thing is if you click the link for your first article, and then click the link at the bottom of the paragraph (feature packed) it takes you to an article saying Opera is better. :p You can't make a blanket statement about Opera or any of the WinMo browsers on speed because they all can run on differeing hardware with slower or faster processors, lots or little RAM, etc. The iphone however is always the same.

You know what would make sense, how about someone with a TP2, Diamond 2 or whatever just benchmark the browser so the world will finally know?

http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action
http://webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9/sunspider.html
http://v8.googlecode.com/svn/data/benchmarks/v5/run.html
http://nontroppo.org/timer/csstest.html
http://nontroppo.org/timer/tabletest.html
http://celtickane.com/labs/web-browser-javascript-benchmark/

I mean surely one of those benchmarks will work.

3GS numbers
peacekeeper - 318
sunspider - 15484.6ms
v8 - everything completed but Splay, so no final score
csstest - 105ms
tabletest - 781ms
celtikane - 30

Last edited:
You know what would make sense, how about someone with a TP2, Diamond 2 or whatever just benchmark the browser so the world will finally know?

http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action
http://webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9/sunspider.html
http://v8.googlecode.com/svn/data/benchmarks/v5/run.html
http://nontroppo.org/timer/csstest.html
http://nontroppo.org/timer/tabletest.html
http://celtickane.com/labs/web-browser-javascript-benchmark/

I mean surely one of those benchmarks will work.

3GS numbers
peacekeeper - 318
sunspider - 15484.6ms
v8 - everything completed but Splay, so no final score
csstest - 105ms
tabletest - 781ms
celtikane - 30

Wow, the video and actually using Opera are enough for me. :p Maybe if I get bored I'll run these. Even if I score lower which is entirely possible, should I dump my phone in a garbage can and switch to an iphone? This is one aspect and the speed is just fine.

So basically you have simple needs therefore it makes sense that an iphone works for you being a less capable device. :p And it's funny that you label the TP2 as a brick, as if it were a lot huger than the iphone. It's not.

http://www.phonegg.com/compare/25/HTC-Touch-Pro2-vs-Apple-iPhone-3GS-16GB.html (size at bottom, though you should know this having had one)

I'm all for liking your phone and personal preference, but let's keep some perspective here. The iphone can do far less than other phones. Being really good at a few things does not make for a great smartphone. If people keep going back to it, then those people are content being able to do less exchanging ability for asthetics.

No, see clearly your scores will be better because you're running a more capable device and I'm running one that's only suited for simple needs. It took my phone 15.5 seconds to run spider, so I'd think you could spare the 10ish seconds you'd need to prove you're right.

No, see clearly your scores will be better because you're running a more capable device and I'm running one that's only suited for simple needs. It took my phone 15.5 seconds to run spider, so I'd think you could spare the 10ish seconds you'd need to prove you're right.

I have never made a point about browser speed, that was you. I have always talked about the overall capability/flexibility of the device. See this is as ridiculous as the guys over in the video card forum jerking it to having 5 more fps. Who cares, "equivalent" is a more accurate description than "faster."

For me, the thing is that I doubt that any browser on winmo even has the ability to complete most of those benchmarks. The speed is mostly irrelevant.

FWIW, my Hero got 66823 ms on the SunSpider mark and 12 on the CelticKane JS Benchmark.

So basically you have simple needs therefore it makes sense that an iphone works for you being a less capable device. :p And it's funny that you label the TP2 as a brick, as if it were a lot huger than the iphone. It's not.

http://www.phonegg.com/compare/25/HTC-Touch-Pro2-vs-Apple-iPhone-3GS-16GB.html (size at bottom, though you should know this having had one)

I'm all for liking your phone and personal preference, but let's keep some perspective here. The iphone can do far less than other phones. Being really good at a few things does not make for a great smartphone. If people keep going back to it, then those people are content being able to do less exchanging ability for asthetics.

See here is the thing. Peoples usage. What do you need to do. I bought a smartphone for email, media player, remote access into my a/v boards, call quality, and a full qwerty keyboard.

That is all I need. Now if you need more than that then find a phone that fits your need and get it. My needs are very simple, but do require a "smartphone". sadly enough not a single BB or HTC from Verizon could fit that requirement. My experience with BB on the verizon network led me to look into the iPhone. The simple fact that my technology illiterate parents can run the thing and not have any problems also had me look into it.

As far as the size difference, if you think a 1/4" in thickness is the same then I don't know what to say.

As far as doing a few simple things, I'd rather have aphone that did the simple things well, but so far when you say "far less than any other smartphone" your spouting hyberbole and you know it. Your HTC and WinMo 6.5 doesn't do that much more than an iPhone, and things it can do don't matter to the majority of non power users since business and commercial uses are few and far between for the majority of users.

Your HTC and WinMo 6.5 doesn't do that much more than an iPhone, and things it can do don't matter to the majority of non power users since business and commercial uses are few and far between for the majority of users.

And any power user can overcome the builtin iphone limitations making it a far more capable phone than pretty much anything else. People claiming that they aren't smartphones or that they're only good for simple tasks are, imo, just trying to justify their purchase of a less capable phone. I've experienced the winmo side of the fence, and I liked it but anyone claiming that it's all sunshine and rainbows is wrong. For the most part, the apps are lacking, with the noticable exception of a few devs like Resco or SPB, in both number and quality, the hardware looks good on paper but drivers are usually subpar or missing altogether(I'm looking at you HTC) and the browsers really discourage use of the phone as a mobile web device(they're slow and prone to crashing due to terrible javascript support - or fast but only because they strip out everything like opera mini or because the rendering is all done server side then sent to the phone as a highly compressed image like skyfire or opera turbo).

I wouldn't have bought a 2G or 3G but the 3GS is freaking kickass and is more than capable of matching, or beating, any winmo phone point for point on any list on capabilities- given that you don't mind jailbreaking to do it.

These are the same people who own a PS3 and tell the rest of us why the 360 and Wii aren't good gaming consoles(I own all three, so don't start with me PS3 fanbois).

The last two posts hit the nail right on the head. Unfortunately, Pueblo or someone else will just contradict one point with a random fact or feature of his phone just to start the circle of arguments all over again... What a waste.

The last two posts hit the nail right on the head. Unfortunately, Pueblo or someone else will just contradict one point with a random fact or feature of his phone just to start the circle of arguments all over again... What a waste.

No actually my point has been refuting the OP stating the iphone is the best.

No actually my point has been refuting the OP stating the iphone is the best.

You can't as that is preference. Kinda like how JD powers has a car of the year award in every damn category known to mankind. What is best for you in a smartphone isn't going to be the best for someone else.

You can't as that is preference. Kinda like how JD powers has a car of the year award in every damn category known to mankind. What is best for you in a smartphone isn't going to be the best for someone else.

Actually you can when it's a general sweeping statement. When it's phrased as "best for me" then that's a different story. :)

Actually you can when it's a general sweeping statement. When it's phrased as "best for me" then that's a different story. :)

semantics semantics semantics. Now you're just arguing for the sake of it. I should go join general mayhem.

The fact of the matter is that you don't know much about the iPhone it seems. I mean you did think it was the same exact size as the TP2 :confused: It really seems like all your arguments are based off what you can parrot about it. I'm not saying the iPhone is greatest phone ever, but it works, is reliable, easy to use, has a plethora of functions that it serves, none of which the BB could. maybe it is just verizon's coverage in the area or the amount to which they neutered their phones but at this moment I can easily say that of the 5 or so smartphones I've been around the iPhone is easily one of the best if not the best.

I realize that 5 smartphones do not make me an expert by any means. However after reading the plethora of remarks on this forum and how many people "hate" the iPhone yet return to time after time while vocally waiting for the next iPhone killer to arrive tells me that many people also agree that it is one of the better phones for them.

Blackberry > ALL as a communications device.

For apps, games, videos.. I have a PC.

Actually, if you have real work to do, WinMo blows away the iPhone. And for the most part WebOS and Blackberry blow away WinMo.

There's a reason WinMo and BB absolutely dominate the corporate world. Does WinMo suck? Absolutely it does. But it's incredibly functional and flexible.

Go read that Engadget article for someone attempting to use an iPhone to "actually get shit done."

WinMo does not dominate anything. The adoption rates are horrible and always have been. Blackberry dominates corporate networks, with Apple gaining.

semantics semantics semantics. Now you're just arguing for the sake of it. I should go join general mayhem.

The fact of the matter is that you don't know much about the iPhone it seems. I mean you did think it was the same exact size as the TP2 :confused: It really seems like all your arguments are based off what you can parrot about it. I'm not saying the iPhone is greatest phone ever, but it works, is reliable, easy to use, has a plethora of functions that it serves, none of which the BB could. maybe it is just verizon's coverage in the area or the amount to which they neutered their phones but at this moment I can easily say that of the 5 or so smartphones I've been around the iPhone is easily one of the best if not the best.

I realize that 5 smartphones do not make me an expert by any means. However after reading the plethora of remarks on this forum and how many people "hate" the iPhone yet return to time after time while vocally waiting for the next iPhone killer to arrive tells me that many people also agree that it is one of the better phones for them.

It's not semantics, it's generalization which is generally inaccurate. And I'm sorry to say the TP2 is a brick and the iphone isn't is just ridiculous, they are roughly the same size per the link I used. To say otherwise, THAT's semantics. Look I'm glad that the iphone just entered a whole new era of being able to multitask and use MMS, and whatever else other devices have been doing for like four years. You HAVE to jailbreak it and the others do it without being unlocked, but hey at least you can now. What about security, how's the iphone on that front? Last I heard it was still terrible. There are still plenty of cons like all other devices. I too have said the iphone is a fine device. But it's nowhere near "the best" when you lay all the cards out on the table. All the cards.

ehh, the iphone is a 07-08 year device, the appstore is flooded with multiple apps that do the same thing now, its really hard to find good apps. when people ask if they should get an iphone or xxxx phone, people say get the iphone because of the appstore. I don't think thats a valid reason anymore, android market is mature and has plenty of apps.. *quality over quantity*. UI and app stores are what the iphone had going for it. I believe android has caught up and both platforms are equal these days. I don't think anyone can say one is better than the other, its a debatable topic and thats a fact, that wasn't the case last year though, there wasn't anything close to an iphone.

I've been an iphone user for almost two years, and I have my first android device on the way, the iphone doesn't meet my expectations anymore.

Last edited:
Well I just picked up the Droid this morning. OP, your fact-less arguments/ speculations against the Droid are frivolous at best. I'll give you 4 reasons why the Droid is a better device.

1. Verizon Network - Runs circles around AT&T
2. Google Maps - By far the best navigator to date
3. Physical Keyboard - Never been a huge fan of touch keyboards for texting...though this touch screen is amazing.
4. 5 MP camera - Very crisp pictures and absolutely AMAZING video recording quality.

Lets also not forget about droid app market which has more than what I need.

ehh, the iphone is a 07-08 year device, the appstore is flooded with multiple apps that do the same thing now, its really hard to find good apps. when people ask if they should get an iphone or xxxx phone, people say get the iphone because of the appstore. I don't think thats a valid reason anymore, android market is mature and has plenty of apps.. *quality over quantity*. UI and app stores are what the iphone had going for it. I believe android has caught up and both platforms are equal these days. I don't think anyone can say one is better than the other, its a debatable topic and thats a fact, that wasn't the case last year though, there wasn't anything close to an iphone.

I've been an iphone user for almost two years, and I have my first android device on the way, the iphone doesn't meet my expectations anymore.

Are there any decent games in the Droid marketplace?

Im so happy this thread is still alive...Just logging in and seeing the Title makes me laugh and feel good all over.

Are there any decent games in the Droid marketplace?

I doubt it. android games from what I've seen don't come close to the quality of appstore's. I didn't mention games in my earlier post because its not essential to a phone, at least for me. any games I play on a mobile device are a joke, even the games on my iphone, while there are decent ones. a mobile game is a mobile game, its just to play while your waiting for something. and both platforms have that.

No one has mentioned the fact that you cant access data while on the phone with a droid.

To again clarify, the iphone does multitask first party apps. Its only 3rd party that dont multitask.

So if Im on a phone call, and need to look something up on the internet, or look up something on maps, I can do so easily. And yes, that is a very useful and very important function.

The droid can not acess data while on a call. So the most useful function of being able to multitask is not possible.

Back