Haswell Z87 SFF motherboard list

Nice, if they lead the way hopefully the other brands will follow suit. Where did this snippet of info leak from?

Other brands? If Asus is releasing an m-itx board besides that z87 and it's part of the ROG family, you can bet that's going to be the ultimate board.
However, I can't possible see this one being improved. It already looks amazing, short of an mpcie slot.
itx-2-1280x1024.jpg

Last edited:
What you said. I need a mSATA3 slot. That would free up drive space usage.

+1

mSATA is one of the most useful motherboard features for SFF systems, and ITX boards. I don't want to move on from my Asrock Z77E-ITX unless the next board has one.

This sound interesting. I'd be very happy to see an ASUS ROG and EVGA ITX boards.

EVGA makes the crappiest MB just due to how bugged their bioses always are. Just look at the Stinger.. a really nice board, cripped by horrible bios support. They shouldn't be in the motherboard business if it takes them over a year to stablize a bios.

Just my 2 cents :p

EVGA makes the crappiest MB just due to how bugged their bioses always are. Just look at the Stinger.. a really nice board, cripped by horrible bios support. They shouldn't be in the motherboard business if it takes them over a year to stablize a bios.

Just my 2 cents :p
It's still interesting to have them make ITX boards in my opinion. More competition and more ITX solutions are better in the grand scheme of things. If their product is unsuited for my needs I will simply purchase a competitor's solution.

I do hope, however, that one day they will get their act together.

I'm inclined to agree with pixel about it being good for competition for lots of companies to continue to make motherboards. We're currently living in a world where Intel is the master of CPUs, and I wish we weren't. If EVGA could work out the kinks in their firmware I would buy one of their ITX just to support an underdog.

That being said... I'm really holding out for DDR4 motherboards at this time, I've got a Z77 and a 3770 that does everything currently. Upgrading to a 4xxx CPU and a Z87 board seems like a small upgrade to me personally.

sgtspiff said:
A little slip from an Asus employee gave us:

There will be a Asus ROG ITX.

What are the chances it doesn't have that silly daughter board? I need one for a Streamcom FC5 EVO and the daughter board gets in the way of the CPU heatpipes. Otherwise it looks like I may end of with my first ASRock board.

Why would you need a Z87 motherboard for a fanless case ? You can't overclock in those anyway. An H87 will be just as good.

Why would you need a Z87 motherboard for a fanless case ? You can't overclock in those anyway. An H87 will be just as good.

There seem to be even fewer H series boards with the connectors I am looking for. Display port, HDMI, optical audio. They seem to only be on the more premium boards.

If you really need those 3 ports on one motherboard, I suggest you keep watching the releases coming the next few weeks, from H81 to Z87, because it is entirely up to the manufacturer if they include these ports. The optical audio is the more expensive one to implement as it needs a higher-end solution.

I'm building a SFF system now. I wonder if ASUS would sponsor me with a Gryphon board... Hint hint ASUS reps ;)

I'm building a SFF system now. I wonder if ASUS would sponsor me with a Gryphon board... Hint hint ASUS reps ;)

Not sure if serious... generally for sponsoring you need to have previous experience building showcase rigs and have good photographs demonstrating that you can show off hardware. It's not like you can just post in a random thread and get free stuff sent to you.

Anandtech put up a article about all the Haswell boards they're allowed to talk about, and there were a few mATX and mini-ITX on the list:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6970/...asus-gigabyte-asrock-msi-ecs-biostar-and-evga

I don't know, I was leaning towards Intel's H87 'Flat Bay' board, but that Asrock mini-ITX looks intriguing (assuming it keeps the CIR functionality that previous Asrock boards had)
this makes me sad. The only option for itx is still asrock. And looks like the only mATX is ASUS ROG.

this makes me sad. The only option for itx is still asrock. And looks like the only mATX is ASUS ROG.
Did you read the whole article? Both Asus and Gigabyte will also have ITX. For micro-ATX there's the Asus Gryphon and the Gigabyte Sniper M5 in addition to ROG. There will be plenty of options.

Did you read the whole article? Both Asus and Gigabyte will also have ITX. For micro-ATX there's the Asus Gryphon and the Gigabyte Sniper M5 in addition to ROG. There will be plenty of options.

But it seems ASRock is the only one with mSata on it.

Well shoot, I just went SFF and I really should have just waited. The 6 sata 6 ports would have sold me alone...

Not sure how I feel about the EPS connector on the Z87E-ITX.

I don't mind them there because in all my cases the PSU is above the motherboard anyway, and I can just fold the cable under the PSU and it drops down directly to the EPS.

But it would seem a lot more logical to just have it near to the ATX24.

I don't understand why they all just put it directly beside the ATX24 on everything, would make cable mgmt easier. But maybe it needs to be fairly close to the socket, i'm no electrical eng.

I'm liking that Intel NIC on the Asrock Z87E-ITX and since I'll be using only one SSD, I don't mind the SATA-connectors being bunched up like that.

Still looks like the ASRock Z87E-ITX is the best. If the H87E-ITX has mSata, that would be a great option :)

This is the perfect thread for my current build ;) some of you guys are already following my hit list over at overclock.net ;)

Great thread WiSK. Will probably go ASRock again if/when I go z87 since I've had great performance from my two z77es.

Sooo glad Asus finally ditched blue. I like their board but I imagine z77 pricing will largely carry over to z87 (read: Asus will be $$).

God the SATA connectors on those are horrific. Why put them in the only corner where they will be totally boxed in. GPU and RAM walls with a cpu cooler roof.
Then the gigabyte one is better positioned. Though power is worse on that one.

Why can't they make the connectors like an internal I/O panel. Everything away from the board.

My question is why they still haven't bothered with sideways SATA connectors like so many decent boards have, like the RoG's:

ASUS-Maximus-VI-Extreme1-635x762.jpg

My question is why they still haven't bothered with sideways SATA connectors like so many decent boards have, like the RoG's:

ASUS-Maximus-VI-Extreme1-635x762.jpg

Most mini-itx cases have the motherboard right next to the side panel.
In other words, making the sata ports angled like that will make the sata ports useless.

If this image is accurate, looks like the asrock Z87E-ITX has a mSATA SSD slot on the back :)

z87e-itxmwa0l.png

edit: after looking at CPU socket placement on the backside image, that can't be a Z77E-ITX pic, so I guess it's safe to assume it is the Z87E-ITX!

I just hope it's a 6Gbps slot this time, because right now the Asrock looks like the best option for me too.

Though, it does look like a cheap Wifi card that they're using, I'd probably end up swapping that out for something (most likely an Intel one) that supports Bluetooth as well.

I'm also not seeing any CIR header that I can identify. Unfortunately the Anandtech photo is taken at a poor angle to make that sort of thing out, and I haven't seen any other high resolution images yet.

Last edited:
Back