Haswell, Yay or Nay?

agentdomo

Limp Gawd
The new Intel Haswell 4770k CPU based on some benchmarks perform slightly faster than the 3770k. Is it worth it to upgrade my 3770k to a 4770k? How much do you think my trusty 3770k is worth? ([email protected])

No. Since its unlikely you'll get 4.7 24/7 stable out of a 4770K, there's a chance your 3770K will be the better performing. And when you consider having to buy a new mobo and possibly a new OS, I don't see it worth it at all even when factoring in the "new toy" factor.

Upgrading your cpus is not worth it.
I bet that you would not be able to tell the difference between the two.

Haswell will be an upgrade for laptops. Not so much for desktops.

The new Intel Haswell 4770k CPU based on some benchmarks perform slightly faster than the 3770k. Is it worth it to upgrade my 3770k to a 4770k? How much do you think my trusty 3770k is worth? ([email protected])

Based off the reviews and your own words of "slightly faster" how in your right mind could you even ask the question tbh?

Unless you have the money lying around and have nothing else to blow it on then it might be considered. Even then you'll probably regret it. Now if you were going from a Core2Quad/i7 920 that might be a different story.

Here's my take on it:

Do you really want a Z87 board? Gotta have more SATA3 ports or something? If so, upgrade. If not, don't bother.

Haswell will be an upgrade for laptops. Not so much for desktops.

Unless you have LGA775 or older - then it will be at least as much an upgrade as either Sandy OR Ivy; and with pricing actually staying sane, it isn't much more. (The spread on the CPU end at MicroCenter is $30; the rest of the bundle spread is due to a combination of the spread between Z87 motherboard prices and price cuts on Z77 motherboards - the discounts are actually identical.)

It has also gotten harder to compare Z77 and Z87 models - some models are unique to Z87, and others may actually be unique to certain retailers. (Example, while Newegg *does* carry the ASUS Z77-A, MicroCenter does not - both carry the Z87-A and Z87-C. MicroCenter carries the GIGABYTE Z87X-UD4H at a deeper discount than usual bundled - it normally retails for $229.99 @ MC; the bundle price with i5-4670K is $349.98, which means you save $80 on the motherboard alone.)

Yes - the bundle price on the GIGABYTE has me curious.

^ Ad mistake on those select bundles. Will ring up as only -$40 in store, but they'll honor the additional -$40.

Waste of money, don't bother, you won't even see a performance gain and even if you do its very minimal and not worth spending on a new CPU and motherboard. May as well overclock your current i7 3770k and call it a day.

Only for new systems. It is only a side grade for Sandy Bridge or newer unless you require a specific feature.

Back