Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Serious question: Has any 'modern' generation of Intel processor been more than 10% faster than the previous at the same clock speed and core count? The only time that might have happened was between Pentium D and Conroe but that was because of the D series' horrible performance per watt if memory serves me right.How much faster will it be? Don't know. I would guess somewhere between 1% and 50% faster than Ivy Bridge.
I just want to know when Intel plans on releasing 6-core cpu's at a reasonable price ($200 to $300).
As a gamer let's face it, once next gen consoles come out which might be next year we are going to most likely need 6-cores.
No worries. All next gen consoles using AMD APUs, and as we all know by now, in general these 6-8 cores APU perform NO BETTER compared to Intel SB's i5 (4 core) cpus. Unless something is changed drasmatically in next 5 yesrs, you will be fine.I just want to know when Intel plans on releasing 6-core cpu's at a reasonable price ($200 to $300). As a gamer let's face it, once next gen consoles come out which might be next year we are going to most likely need 6-cores. I don't plan on buying another quad core only to have it obsolete for gaming in two years since I only build a new system every five years or so.
Without any competition in this area Intel will not have to change their plans.
It is highly doubtful that game makers will limit their software to only lga2011 systems. I know someone will mention bulldozer however with its low per core IPC (30 to 60% per core IPC deficit versus Intel) it mostly does not help that it has more "real" cores.
Consoles will in either case use lower end processors than a PC anyways so it does not matter that consoles will use 6 cores because the cores 1/4 to 1/2 the IPC of an Intel core.
Serious question: Has any 'modern' generation of Intel processor been more than 10% faster than the previous at the same clock speed and core count? The only time that might have happened was between Pentium D and Conroe but that was because of the D series' horrible performance per watt if memory serves me right.
Serious question: Has any 'modern' generation of Intel processor been more than 10% faster than the previous at the same clock speed and core count? The only time that might have happened was between Pentium D and Conroe but that was because of the D series' horrible performance per watt if memory serves me right.
The 1366 processors were a huge leap above C2D/Q's.
The 1366 processors were a huge leap above C2D/Q's.
The next-gen consoles are rumored to have ~4 cores (apparently the XBOX 720 has 6 with 2 cores dedicated to running background apps but not gaming) so you needn't be too worried about not having enough coresThe next-gen consoles won't be packing any serious hardware that'll make your PC obsolete. In fact they look to be conservative
The aging consoles and the lack of news for their 8th generation are really bad news. Why would the update from 6th to 7th generation took so fast but the 8 took like forever? Is Microsoft seriously intending to keep Xbox 360 for the full 10 years? I am not sure I enjoy gaming and seeing such a low utilization on the CPU front. But the fact that consoles are slowing down on how games could be make nicer etc is shocking.
That rumor of DDR 4 coming out in 2013/2014 makes me less reluctant to upgrade now. I know my 980X is still good for gaming and I still have good overclocking potential still remaining. But I really want a native USB 3.0/Serial ATA 3 on my motherboard. PCI Express 3.0 doesn't hurt either, now that the controller is on the CPU.
I really want haswell, but I am in such a bind![]()
There's probably not going to be much solid performance information available until early summer or at fall IDF. Intel did an early silicon Haswell system demo at last fall's IDF (Sept 2011), so it's been running for months.
I'd probably bet a few bucks and say that intel likely already has working (but very alpha-stage) 14nm Skylake and maybe even 10nm Skymont silicon for in-house only testing.![]()