Haswell overclocking issues

Disposed

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a 4670k with a z97a mobo and seem to have hit a brick wall with this setup at 4.6ghz. It wont boot under 1.35v but its stable at 1.35. The thing i dont get from reading around is that i should be running hot as fuck with that vcore and OC but i dont even break 70c under full load on air (noctua nhu12). This leads me to think there is a voltage setting i need to bump to get over this hump.

Any ideas?

4.6ghz is really good overclock for a Haswell. Anymore then 4.6ghz would be considered a golden chip. I got a 4770k and it is a dud overclocker. I Can't get it passed 4.3ghz no matter what and my temps are in the low 60s at full load.

Both 4670k's I had wouldn't do more then 4.5/4.6ghz, seems to be the average for the chip. I did have several 4690k's that did 4.8/4.9ghz though.

Lame, got my hopes up because of the relatively low temps but even at 1.45v it just won't go above 4.6

What Cache multiplier are you using? Try dropping it to 40X (4Ghz is plenty fast enough) and that might get you another 100~200mhz if it is indeed a good sample.

What Cache multiplier are you using? Try dropping it to 40X (4Ghz is plenty fast enough) and that might get you another 100~200mhz if it is indeed a good sample.

So as an update, with 1.5 vcore with 2.05 input voltage and 1.3 cache i can get it stable to 4.8 but it hits low 90s on air (i did lower the cache multi to 28 to test, i keep reading the performance difference is practically nil)

So about 20c for 200 mhz. On a full water loop it would probably be cool but ill take 4.6 @ 69c tops over 4.8 @ 93c.

Considering the averages for Haswell ([email protected]), you're doing just fine. And as you've noticed, once you're beyond the 0.04v per multi, the scaling gets pretty ridiculous.

Same reason I can opt for say 1.18 or 1.23 for 4.5Ghz or 4.6Ghz, respectively, and have dramatically lower cooling requirements :p

Back