Haswell-E upgrade?

TheCommander

2[H]4U
Would there be any huge difference going from a 2500k to a Haswell-E build? I mostly just use the system for gaming.

Or is it better to wait and see if Skylake is a huge jump?

Would there be any huge difference going from a 2500k to a Haswell-E build? I mostly just use the system for gaming.

I say not for most games. The primary advantage is more cores however most games will not make good use of the extra cores.

Yes. Overclock while you wait.

how much its overclocked your 2500K, are you having any issue with the games you play?. a 4790K are already a great upgrade for a 2500K in newer tittles which are starting to use more threads.. and even if the 2500K present a similar frame rate in some games, the frame times aren't tight there as they are starting to push highly in 4 cores chip even with high overclock above 4.6ghz, Haswell-E would be a upgrade in the 6c/12t editions with a overclock of at least 4.0ghz.. IMO the better gaming processor out there its the 4790K if you are under 2560x1440 or with dual graphics solution, if you feel the want to upgrade now, the best option and cheaper way would be a 4790K,ut if you can overclock your 2500k at 4.8ghz or above wait for skylake...

If for gaming, no. Overclock your 2500K if you're not already.

If you mostly just game, 1155 is still more than enough. But if you have an upgrade itch, just upgrade your GPU and save yourself a lot of money...

what they said. although, if you want to make the jump to the enthusiast platform, now would be a good time to do it as any. last i read, broadwell-e @ 14nm won't be coming until 2016, and that is a drop in replacement (probably a bios update) on the x99 platform.

Do not put cart before the horse: Name the graphics card(s) you use.

OP, take a look at AT's review here of the 5xxx stuff.

The review does not contain a 2500k, but it does show just how limited (and poorly i must say) scaling is with a "good" chip these days with a GTX770/7970 GPU performance level. Even the FX8320/8350 chips are only 15% off the top end models. You can expect the 2500k to fall into the lower portion of those graphs at stock and go even higher if you overclock.

It's pretty cliche to say "wait for Intel's next gen" these days, but on the gaming front that's really your only sane option unless you love bleeding edge and dropping $$$$ for single-digit gains.

In gaming only that'd be a waste of money. Overclock the 2500k and always buy the best gpu you can afford.

You're set for now then.

Imo the only upgrade you should consider is a 6+ core cpu, Hw-E would be a nice and noticable jump but once the mainstream Hex-cores drop it will be much more cost effective and just as fast if not faster than Haswell-E.

Expensive motherboard and expensive RAM make the Haswell-E platform too expensive for games.

IF only IF only intel's price range was near AMD's ! !

I wouldn't recommend upgrading every year from intel since they use the TICK TOCK strategy so if you have like 2012 or 2013 intel keep it for another 3+ years unless you are bent on getting the latest and greatest even though the difference is not so great every year

Back