Haswell-E throttle point.

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
Hi all,
is there someone who knows what is the default throttle core temperature for Haswell-E?

I am about 99% sure its 95 degrees, but you will see throttling before that maybe around 90 because a 5 degree fluctuation can happen in less than a second and the core temps can bounce around a bit depending on load.

You should be able to run it to 85 degrees and be solid.

There is a thread discussing the max temp here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1832669

this thread is not intended for discussing temp but to understand what is the default throttling temperature for haswell-e.

my asus x99 deluxe seems to not throttle at all, when the CPU is at 95°, it shutdown the pc.
to get throttling working I need to set the throttle temp in bios.
this is why I'm asking. probably a bug of my deluxe with my configuration, I don't know.

installed new bios, behaviour changed,
with default bios settings the CPU throttle at 100C :eek::eek::eek:

core temp shows 100C TJmax.

If 100c is too much, why the cpu doesn't start throttling before?

At default MHz, most Intel CPUs can run reliably right up to the thermal throttling temperature. When you are overclocking, depending on the CPU model, you might get a random reboot or shutdown before you hit the 100°C TJ Max temperature.

An interesting feature of the Asus X99 is that you can change the value of TJ Max in the bios. TJ Max used to be a fixed, read only value on all of the previous Intel CPUs but for X99, it is read / write so now TJ Max can be programmed in the bios.

If you change the value of TJ Max, most temperature monitoring programs are probably going to report your core temperatures wrong. I have not come across any testing of this yet.

100°C has been the typical value for TJ Max for the majority of Intel's CPUs. Many 3rd Gen CPUs were actually a little higher at 105°C.

Ok thanks for the answer.
The most intensive bench I have used for temperature is Asus real bench.
Real bench does surpass 85c on the hottest core, this is OK for me, the problem is with power viruses like software that uses small ftt that can create another 20c of heat letting my CPU approximate go 100c.
I think that I will lower my tjmax to 90c for "safety"

Back