Haswell-E owners waiting Skylake-E...

Discussion in 'Intel Processors' started by sblantipodi, Jan 4, 2017.

1. sblantipodi

sblantipodi 2[H]4U

As title.
    I have a 5930K Haswell-E CPU and I am waiting for Skylake-E processor.

What is the expected improvements that skylake-e will bring over haswell-e?

Improved IPC and what other features?
    Optane. Will optane become widely used in 2017?
    What else?

Is the skylake IPC improvement enough to upgrade the CPU?

2. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

Improved IPC, reduced power consumption and higher clock speeds. Also the memory controller in Skylake is almost assuredly better than Haswell-E's. It should accept higher memory clocks with much greater ease and success.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  3. sblantipodi

sblantipodi 2[H]4U

The IPC improvement is not that huge as far as I see on the mainstream platform, how better is the memory controller?
    What is a "normal RAM frequency" for a Skylake CPU?

Haswell-E averaged 2666MHz on 100MHz Strap and 3000MHz on 125MHz Strap, what about skylake?

thanks

4. 4330thgink

4330thgink Gawd

My thoughts are: If you have a Haswell-E that clocks to 4.2 or higher without extreme voltages, you might as well save your money.

My 5820K does 4.5ghz at 1.18v, memory is at 3000mhz with a 125mhz bclock(probably will do higher, but I have no need for it). The 8% to 10% IPC increase doesn't justify an upgrade, for me at least.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    {NG}Fidel likes this.
  5. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

Since the CPUs aren't out we have no idea how high it will clock. Broadwell-E doesn't clock as well as Haswell-E does on X99 so there is a chance that Skylake-E won't either. I hope Intel improves that but we just don't have any idea how retail chips will behave until we've got them in hand. On the memory front, Skylake always did better than Haswell-E. Broadwell-E has been somewhat disappointing as it wasn't a lot better than Haswell-E. Again we can't make any concrete statements about memory clocking but I suspect a substantial improvement over existing HEDT processors in this area.

{NG}Fidel and jkw like this.
  6. drlqpham

drlqpham n00bie

This is good and bad for consumers. Good because I save money, bad because improvements are so small with each generation.

7. sparks

sparks 2[H]4U

I thought haswell was all about quad channel memory. NO skylake or cabby lake can do that.

8. 4330thgink

4330thgink Gawd

Sky Lake or Cabby Lake - E??

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  9. 4330thgink

4330thgink Gawd

I'm all for people keeping their money in their pockets instead of CEO's, shareholders, etc when the improvement isn't vast enough to warrant the expenditure.