• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Haswell and older Silverstone...

Poik

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 21, 2011
Messages
99
My buddy has a ST85ZF. It was a great PSU 6 years ago but I'm not sure it's Haswell approved. It's not listed but no one is listing older PSU's as I can only imagine the epic pain in the ass it would be for that level of testing. I'm guessing he needs a new one... what do you think?
 
If this PSU is 6 years old I would highly suggest replacing it for a newer one.
It can't possibly be up to full power as if new.

They kind of lose (having trouble explaining right bare with me lol) effectiveness as they age and 6 years I don't think it'll be able to handle the new hardware as well and could cause troubles as shutting down on you.

Plus that PSU how much watts is it anyway?
 
I thought power supplies lasted a pretty long time. My 2008 CoolerMaster 850w that came with my case has been running 24/7 since then.
 
I thought power supplies lasted a pretty long time. My 2008 CoolerMaster 850w that came with my case has been running 24/7 since then.

After a estimate of 3 years they start losing power out put.
Your PSU for example probably doesn't put out the full 850W.

You could get lucky and have a PSU last 20 years but they do degrade slowly of time.
It's wise to replace them after about 5 years to avoid future problems.
 
It's 850W but I do agree. I get how things age and lose capacity over time. His system isn't going to pushing anywhere close to 850.
 
Capacitor aging in quality power supplies is a myth. They do not lose power over 3 years, it takes 10+ years for them to start losing power (again, in a good quality power supply).

Unless your friend's Haswell system doesn't have a GPU, it's not going to draw next to 0 amps on the 12v line. It's the near 0 amp power draw on the 12v line that causes older power supplies to shut down, as they cannot tolerate no load on the 12v line. Modern DC-DC power supplies have the 5v and 3.3v rails drawing power from the 12v line instead of independently, so there's always load on the 12v line.

The ST85ZF is a high quality power supply as reviewed by JonnyGuru. Not sure of the design, as JonnyGuru didn't go in depth. However, because of the age, it's safe to assume that it is not a DC-DC design. Basically, if your friend is planning to use it without a discrete GPU, it most likely won't work. If he's going to use it with a discrete GPU, it probably will work.
 
Great! Thanks. He's going to be running a 560Ti so he will give it a try... we shall see what happens :)
 
Back
Top