Has voltage ever killed a SB/IB CPU ever?

geraltofrivia

Limp Gawd
I've never heard of this happening. In fact in reading hundreds if not thousands of posts on overclocking these chips, I have not read a single case where the CPU failed at all! I am asking because you hear so much about "safe" voltages and electromigration and temperature halving lifespan every 10 degrees and all that stuff. But if any of that stuff was true, wouldn't we see actual cases of these chips failing due to overclocking?

I understand the chips have only been out for a few years, but failure should occur in somewhat of a normal bell-shaped distribution (I would imagine), so we should be seeing the outliers as early failures that have already happened.

Those that it happens to probably won't post about it cause they already know the cause of it and too busy scrambling to find a replacement CPU to be posting lol.

Yes I know of at least a couple cases where people have damaged their processor by high voltage and static stocks. In these cases it is where the person has used such high voltages that there is no chance not to damage the processor.

So let say you keep the temperatures under control and keep your voltage at around 1.2v on the Intel® Core™ i5-3570K and you find that you will be looking for a new computer well before you see any real processor performance drops due to voltage or temperature. (this is what I have mine set at)

The electromigration and high temperatures shorten the lifespan of a processor but it isnt a matter of halving the lifespan. With a reasonable overclock on an Intel® Core™ i5-3570K or Intel Core i7-3770K you will most likely never experience the shortening of the lifespan of the processor. You see the MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) is so high (I dont have the numbers here but for our purposes lets say it is 20 years) and the normal usage of the processor so much shorter (lets say right around 3 years for most people) that even when you are overclock you are not going to see the lifespan any less). Even with the lifespan in half you would still not have that computer around to see go bad due to voltage.

Yes I know of at least a couple cases where people have damaged their processor by high voltage and static stocks. In these cases it is where the person has used such high voltages that there is no chance not to damage the processor.

What kind of voltages were they using?

Last edited:
To me 80 or 90 seems a little to hot. Try and see if you can get your system running stable with lower voltage. Set everything to default and slowly raise you clock up until your system won't boot into windows. While doing this make sure your cpu voltage is set to auto. This should give you a good idea where to set your voltage. From what you posted your voltage seems a bit high.

Back