Has Treyarch surpassed Infinity Ward? What Infinity Ward should do next... WW2.

zamardii

2[H]4U
So, I just got done playing Black Ops 2. Which I wasn't excited for at all when it released or even announced because I thought the whole Call of Duty franchise was turning into another yearly Madden and would be boring. Boy was I wrong. I haven't found any game i've really enjoyed in a long time and gaming to me almost started to become mundane. I started re installing older games just to cope. I can't speak on BLOPS2 multiplayer or Zombies, but the campaign was great. Everything is better than any Infinity Ward Call of Duty i've played since Modern Warfare1 (which to me, this was better than even that). That's saying a lot considering i've been gaming for over 20 years. It's not the best game i've ever played but I was hooked from beginning to end.

I can remember playing Call of Duty 3 and thinking how crappy it was compared to COD 1 & 2 and thinking that every Treyarch COD iteration would just be crap and only exists to milk the COD franchise and to ensure a yearly COD release. Since 2006, we have received a yearly COD game from Infinity or Treyarch (and i'm not counting the mobile/portable offshoots). But to me, Black Ops 2 stamped Treyarch as the definitive COD developer. Everything from the voice acting, gun sounds, and story are better this time which is great.

So how can Infinity Ward redeem themselves? Make Modern Warfare 5 and bank on that it'll sell a lot because it says COD? Most people these days probably aren't even aware that not just one studio makes COD games so they are wanting something that will top BLOPS 2 which isn't impossible at all, but would be challenging.

What Infinity should do is this; Make Call of Duty 5 as a World War 2 shooter on a brand new game engine that will define future COD games. Imagine it.

Remember playing COD 1 and crossing the river in the Russian campaign (taking a cue from Enemy at the Gates)?
http://youtu.be/fIMBHwU7i64

Remember the Normandy Beach landing on Medal of Honor Allied Assault? http://youtu.be/x74-PeBq5B0

We need the next great World War 2 game. I remember when Modern Warfare came out, and everybody was saying (including myself) how much they are tired of historical shooters; namely WW2. But imagine those same videos I posted above with modern graphics capabilities and modern sound mixing. The sounds in Medal Of Honor have always won awards and were renown for their quality, and the action of Call of Duty was always a step up.

With all the "Modern Warfare" (and future warfare) games that have come from the COD, Battlefield, and MOH series over the last 4 years, I think a new era of shooters should be reborn. Not only will this give Infinity Ward a great way to introduce a new game engine to retire the tired looking one being used since Modern Warfare 1, but it'll reinvigorate the tired modern warfare shooter genre. Not to mention it'll take Infinity Ward back to it's roots and the new game engine can usher in the next generation of consoles.

What say you?

Sure a new accurate WW2 game would be cool. But really what would it be? I believe they have already covered most of the major battles that happened.

Anyway, they will probably keep crapping out modern COD/BF games for the masses because it makes them so much money. That's just the sad truth of it.

In my opinion not a single one of those new ones measures up to the Original COD. Especially the Hurtgen Multiplayer map.;)

They need to make more games loaded with last gen visuals, quicktime events, killstreaks, powerups, perks, horrible anti-cheat and extra loud VOIP for anyone under 16....That seems to be what sells really well these days. It also needs zombies...You could shit in a bag and write "zombie mode" on it and people will fight to toss money at you.

Sure a new accurate WW2 game would be cool. But really what would it be? I believe they have already covered most of the major battles that happened.

Anyway, they will probably keep crapping out modern COD/BF games for the masses because it makes them so much money. That's just the sad truth of it.

In my opinion not a single one of those new ones measures up to the Original COD. Especially the Hurtgen Multiplayer map.;)

But the last few CoD games have seen declining sales. MW3 was 5% below BO, and BO2 is projected to be 15% below MW3.

Don't forget that the IW of today is not the same IW responsible for CoD1, CoD2, MW1, and MW2. Very different beasts given the mass exodus of staff after MW2.

yes. a WW2 themed shooter is exactly what would make me start playing AAA shooters again. :rolleyes:

i know it's hard, but i'm sure your brains could think of other settings besides WW2 and today.

Infinity Ward is a peeled-off scab of its former self. Activision had to bring in a no-name developer (Sledgehammer Games) so IW could get CODMW3 out the door in the two-year development period. All of the game's assets and sound effects were copied directly from CODMW2, and the fragments of all of the Guitar/Band/DJ/TonyHawk Hero studios that Activision has massacred were all put to work to get the four lots of DLC out. The last "main guy" at IW - Robert Bowling, left shortly after CODMW3 was released.

Treyarch is easily the No.1 COD developer now, mainly because it has embraced the absurdity of the franchise, whereas IW tried to paint the absurdity as gritty realism.

80% of Infinity Ward is gone, they all left to form a new company.

They need to make more games loaded with last gen visuals, quicktime events, killstreaks, powerups, perks, horrible anti-cheat and extra loud VOIP for anyone under 16....That seems to be what sells really well these days. It also needs zombies...You could shit in a bag and write "zombie mode" on it and people will fight to toss money at you.

best post ever :p

Z&W who are the infinity ward founders started a new studio with 38-50 of the original developers who worked on CODMW1&2. The studio is called Respawn Entertainment and they are working on a SCI-FI game that looks like a bit of Lost Planet and Halo from the concept art. They and the former staff won a massive settlement from Activision so they are juiced with cash and have a deal with EA going. They won't say the numbers for disclosure but between the employees backpay and Z&W's side it's like 250-500 million.

I'm not particularly excited though I've never actually enjoyed a call of duty game after COD1 which was pretty good for it's time. Lego Starwars has more depth than every game in that franchise combined regardless of studio.

I would prefer if IW or whatever make a new game that isn't a FPS or CoD related would be nice. But of course, that isn't happening as long as Activision is telling them what to do.

I honestly feel like BO2 was a far better game than MW3. I only played MW3 on PC up to level 30ish multiplayer and didn't even beat the campaign but BO2 has been much better so far.

What about a game where you play as Audie Murphy? Although given the bullet sponge characters we're used to, it would probably downplay his achievements.

80% of Infinity Ward is gone, they all left to form a new company.

Not only that but yes Treyarch has surpassed Infinity Ward in the quality of COD games. The most recent two have been far better than IW's offerings.

I think Treyarch should push for innovation and a different direction in the franchise more than anything else. I'm personally fucking sick of WW2 shooters , I played them for well over a decade in one form or another. There are still great WW2 shooters to play right now and more still being made , Treyarch shouldn't go in that direction.

At this point Treyarch and IW have effectively "worn out" many of the era's of weaponry and war. Something different should be push for instead , what that is .. I don't know.

What about a game where you play as Audie Murphy? Although given the bullet sponge characters we're used to, it would probably downplay his achievements.

LOL winner.

----------------------------
I vote for Mechs and interplanetary space soldiers.

we already have Red Orchestra, why the hell do we need IW or any other company to come in and ruin WWII games. leave it to the people that know how to make WWII games to make them. keep these garbage ass developers out of the genre.

and i honestly don't thing tray of crap has surpassed the original IW. trying to compare it to the current state of whats left of IW doesn't count. but in the end re-skinning a game that was developed by another company doesn't make you better than them.

Cod already has the past, present, and future covered. It's obviously time to skew towards warped history and absurd "what if" scenarios. Let's see some creativity.

Back