Has the 7970m been fixed?

benfinkel

Weaksauce
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking into buying a high-end gaming lapper, and I was wondering about the current state of the 7970m from anyone who's actually using one.

Based on what I can read online, it was a tragedy when it came out last year. Performance was good but driver support and stability was terrible.

Has AMD addressed that? Is it a reasonable option? The 680m seems to have across the board high marks, but adds a good $200 onto any build I'm looking at. That's not the end of the world considering how much my total cost will be, but I wouldn't mind saving the money if I can get good stability and comparable performance.

Thanks in advance!

-Ben

I picked up an NP9150 last week with a 7970m, and I haven't had any problems with crashing or FPS.

The only issue I had was you have to install the Intel Chipset drivers first so it installs the integrated GPU, and then you install the AMD drivers.

I also found AMD's driver page very confusing, selecting the 7970m gives you an autodetect program which says that the hardware isn't supported, so you have to find the Mobility Catalyst drivers, which is easy enough.

When I was using the 13.1 drivers, and playing Guild Wars 2 at max settings, I was averaging 35-40.

When I went to the latest beta(at the time was 13.2 beta 6, 7 is out now) I started averaging about 45-60 FPS.

No blue screens, no freezing. Just make sure you select which programs use the 7970m, instead of relying on the enduro to do it. I find it easier that way. Anytime I startup GW2 is selects the 7970m as the primary graphics card.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions :)

Thanks Goku! That's good info, has me vacillating again :)

When I decide/commit I'll reply to this post and let everyone know how it goes.

The reason for the weird mobile driver integration/auto update is the oem crap they have to deal with

Thanks Goku! That's good info, has me vacillating again :)

When I decide/commit I'll reply to this post and let everyone know how it goes.

No problem! You will enjoy the 7970m! I also was in the same position as you with the GTX 680m, I couldn't justify the extra $200.

Interested in knowing what you purchase! :)

What brand are you looking at? Alienware and MSI can disable the IGP, so the problem with Enduro was never an issue with them. Sager, however, has a different system - but I believe the issue has been fixed for a while.

Mythlogic has been the front-runner for me currently, just based on online reviews and my comfort level with their website and build options (they're the only ones that let you build a No-OS system right on their webpage). Malibal or Sager would be other top choices for me.

I'm kinda half-n-half on the Alienware, but the price and customization options aren't quite where I'd like them to be.

Origin seems to have dropped the 7970m as an option, so I don't think they're gonna work.

Mythlogic has been the front-runner for me currently, just based on online reviews and my comfort level with their website and build options (they're the only ones that let you build a No-OS system right on their webpage). Malibal or Sager would be other top choices for me.

I'm kinda half-n-half on the Alienware, but the price and customization options aren't quite where I'd like them to be.

Origin seems to have dropped the 7970m as an option, so I don't think they're gonna work.

Mine ended up being cheaper than the Sager at the same specs. If you go on the Notebook Review forums, there are AW sales reps that can give you a quote. I ended up getting $300+ off.

Mine ended up being cheaper than the Sager at the same specs. If you go on the Notebook Review forums, there are AW sales reps that can give you a quote. I ended up getting $300+ off.

Oh that's interesting. I've been lurking those forums but not posting anything yet.

Did you just spec one out in that "Alienware Pre-Order" thread and get a response from their Rep? I thought you could only buy one through the Dell.com website...

Oh that's interesting. I've been lurking those forums but not posting anything yet.

Did you just spec one out in that "Alienware Pre-Order" thread and get a response from their Rep? I thought you could only buy one through the Dell.com website...

One of the first posts in that thread is from a Dell rep that says which reps to email about getting a quote. I'm pretty sure one of them is Rev. I'll check real quick.

Here it is: http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware/669327-alienware-sales-assistance-thread-redux.html

Rev or Rachid are the two you need to PM. You have to have a 10 post minimum to use PM. It's well worth the savings though. This one was around $1700, minus the SSD.

Your best bet is to get the bare minimum that you can't change yourself - unless they have a good deal on it. The memory they use is either Crucial or Micron, but it didn't play well with the Corsair Vengeance memory I got. I upgraded from the 6gb to 8gb, thinking I could just pop in the second set and run at 1600, it didn't. So I'd go with the 6gb, sell those sticks when you get it and pick up a set of Vengeance (or whatever your preference is).

I went with LPC-Digital. You also have the option of No-OS system. Plus, if you email for the Max Discount, you can get more off your price. I had a great experience with them when buying my Sager.

Back