Has Nintendo waited to long to reveal Revolution?

Michael.R

Gawd
I was just wondering if I was the only one that thinks Nintendo has waited to long to reveal the Revolution.

We havent got any specs at all so far. Just what the console looks like. I understand that they dont want to show their controller but you could atleast give the public a glimpse of some of the games. We havent even seen a single screenshot from any of the games on the revolution. For all I know they might not even have semi playable games yet and release is about 1 year away. We see games like Gears of War are fully playable and yet Nintendo has shown nothing.

Lots of websites dont even mention the Revolution any more. I truely dont understand how Nintendo can expect to build up a large fan base next generation if they havent released any info. Websites like IGN, Gamespot, and Gamespy are basically doing the marketing for Microsoft and Sony because they actually have released information.

And what makes me laugh even more is from what we do know about the console it seems as if Nintendo isnt sure of itself. I still find this funny. "12cm optical disk media" As far as we know that could be HD-DVD or DVD 5, 9, 10, 14, 18.

Another thing is a lot of people seem to like to judge consoles on their specifications. For all we know Nintendo could have the least or most powerfull console.

A lot of gamers would have had to make up their minds at this years E3 because microsft is releasing this year and Nintendo and sony next. Not to many people can afford to buy every single console. Im sure sony's conference stoped a couple people from rushing out and buying a 360, but I have to say that Nintendo had such a poor showing I laughed.

I really hate to bash Nintendo like this but I think they havent got with the times. A lot of things are changing and Nintendo always seems to be playing catch up. It might be right not to show their controller incase other companies take their ideas but I dont see any reason why certain games that dont give away information about the controller cant be showed or console specs revealed.

It is starting to irritate me. Nintendo seems to be making a lot of stupid decisions that I cant understand.

Just wondering what your thoughts were.

I don't think they're waiting. I think they're still not ready. The DS is a superior gaming device, and i think they threw too much of their time and R&D efforts into it. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they were behind and scrambling to try to bring a solid project to light.

Well, I officially gave up on nintendo a while ago (only reason I held on to my gamecube was for resident evil 4, sold it soon as I beat the game), but I dont really think they are waiting too long because from my understanding nintendo is gunning at being a secondary system (meaning most people will have a PS3 or a 360 as their main system, and a revolution as a backup for the slow times). Also, regardless of what the specs and controller are, nintendo fanpersons (the most ruthless of them all) will buy it anyways, even if the revolution was only slightly faster than the gamecube, and the controller was a giant plastic turd ("nobodys ever played games with a turd before, Its revolutionary!!"), there are enough of them around for nintendo to make a profit.

Perhaps nintendo will drop a big info update right before the 360's launch to try and take some wind out of MS's sails?
Just a thought. However I dont think nintendo has waited too long.

I think their intention might be to wait long enough that people don't immediately compare it to the 360 and the PS3, because they don't want to go head to head (to head) with the other two on advertising, and possibly because the technical specs are underwhelming. They'll wait until things have settled a bit, and when it's coming, they'll focus on the games and the entertainment value, not the raw power.

(The last part was about as difficult as predicting that next years toothpaste ads will feature beautiful people with huge white smiles. :D )

I've heard fan bois around here saying the same thing forever... (0h meye gaWd... *system X* is tha schizdazzle razzle)... It will never change. As far as Nintendo goes, they have as rabid a core audiance as the Mac (people shouldnt go ape shyte over a mouse). That will help a bit, but I have a strong feeling that Nintendo will make one more console after the Revo... then they might just become game publishers like Sega.

Does the Revo even have a tentative release date? Since they have told us the Revo will be only a gaming system without all the extra stuff of the 360 and PS3, they dont need to hype up a bunch of extras. Expect some screenshots when they are under a year away from release.

Im not a fan bois of any console. I buy one a generation. Mistakes were made. ...but I still love 'em
2600 / Turbo Grafx / PS1 / Jaguar / XBX / 360

Rune75 said:
I've heard fan bois around here saying the same thing forever... (0h meye gaWd... *system X* is tha schizdazzle razzle)... It will never change. As far as Nintendo goes, they have as rabid a core audiance as the Mac (people shouldnt go ape shyte over a mouse). That will help a bit, but I have a strong feeling that Nintendo will make one more console after the Revo... then they might just become game publishers like Sega.

Does the Revo even have a tentative release date? Since they have told us the Revo will be only a gaming system without all the extra stuff of the 360 and PS3, they dont need to hype up a bunch of extras. Expect some screenshots when they are under a year away from release.

Im not a fan bois of any console. I buy one a generation. Mistakes were made. ...but I still love 'em
2600 / Turbo Grafx / PS1 / Jaguar / XBX / 360
I didn't go ape shit over a mouse. Mainly because I was a PC user that switched. And technically I didn't switch, I still have a windows laptop. :rolleyes:

As for the topic, I enjoy the DS a lot. As far as the Rev. is concerned, I hope they get a lot more GOOD games from a 3rd party stand point. With the GC it was basically like, "If you don't buy nintendo games, you're not gonna be happy." But then again, thats kinda been true for the other systems. If they went the way of Sega, I wouldn't be sad.

i don't think that there's much to reveal, and i think that its good that they don't say much. nintendo has always seemed to me about the game play. my friends and i still love to get together and play double dash or smash melee.

i think that nintendo realizes that there's way too much hype to make it worth jumping into the middle of the sony/ms console battle right now. they're not releasing a powerhouse console meant to dazzle and wow, but hopefully they're producing a cheap console w/ really fun games. what i hope will happen is that they'll start their ad campaign very close to when they release (hopefully w/ plenty of games plz) and focus on cheap gameplay instead of a console which plays games, dvds, music, internet, heats up hot pockets, doubles as a telephone/fax/scanner/copier/printer/moped etc...

Too many mini-game "games" for the DS. Canvas Curse, Touch and Go, Wario-ware, SM64 port, etc.

I'd rather get a GBA, GBMicro, or PSP, even though the game selection is tiny.

Revo might end up the same way as the DS - gimmick city.

Honestly, I think the DS is crap. Im much more impressed with the PSP... but I'll stick with my GB Advance SP. And if anyone wants to take a bet for like 8 years from now, I still say that a console after the Revo will be the last for Nintendo. They are already positioning themselves to be the cheap "second system".

I am one of the few people that will play on my P.C. and buy a Revolution and only a Revolution when it comes out. So I am in no hurry to hear the specks, I know the system will be solid and offer good value when its out.

I wish nintendo and squaresoft would team up and make some more great games like all the ones for snes, that would make the revo the only system worth buying imo. As far as waiting too long... no. Its not a race, if the revo comes out a year later than ms or sony it will sell better then if it comes out at the same time anyway. I am patient, let them take there time and create, they've done great things for the industry that way in the past.

Considering it probably isn't coming out for at least a year, I don't think they have waited too long. We sort of know what to look for with the few specs they have released.

Isaacav2 said:
I am one of the few people that will play on my P.C. and buy a Revolution and only a Revolution when it comes out. So I am in no hurry to hear the specks, I know the system will be solid and offer good value when its out.
Same here I will most likely end up only buying a revolution and playing pc games. Unless there is a game that I REALLY want to get that is xbox360 or ps3 exclusive.

Sizer said:
Too many mini-game "games" for the DS. Canvas Curse, Touch and Go, Wario-ware, SM64 port, etc.

I'd rather get a GBA, GBMicro, or PSP, even though the game selection is tiny.

Revo might end up the same way as the DS - gimmick city.

DS plays GBA games....

What exactly is revolutionary about the "Revolution"? I heard Nintendo will have apparently all previous games available on a library, but that is far from revolutionary. Nintendo will obviously be outdone on the hardware front, that's known, but they still carry an ingenuity that the other console makers lack. Personally its all PS3 for me, I can't wait for cell processing.

maranello575 said:
What exactly is revolutionary about the "Revolution"? I heard Nintendo will have apparently all previous games available on a library, but that is far from revolutionary. Nintendo will obviously be outdone on the hardware front, that's known, but they still carry an ingenuity that the other console makers lack. Personally its all PS3 for me, I can't wait for cell processing.

The controller is supposed to be the revolutionary part, but I'm willing to bet that its A) Not revolutionary at all, or B) revolutionary to the point that its not practical.

Ah I see. I didn't even hear about the controller, but I certainly can't see it being revolutionary. Nintendo always has the best controllers in my opinion. The N64 controller was a beast, but it was mint to control. Gamecube was also enjoyable to use. I think that the only way Nintendo could possibly get a good console out is if they start appealing to the mature demographic. No one bought the Gamecube due to its "kiddie" rep. If they just brought some better games to the console, hopefully some unique FPSs, then I'm sure they could compete with the big dogs. If not, looks like the next gen will certainly go to Microsoft for the best performance/price ratio and the PS3 for innovation and hardware.

Nintendo's strategy is to let Microsoft and Sony bash each other before they reveal whatever the heck they're doing. Remember Bill Gates' comparison of the X360 and PS3 to Ferraris, except that the X360 will be out of the gate first? Satoru Iwata replied to that by saying that Nintendo's car will have something special. They're trying to build word-of-mouth hype by keeping people guessing as to what the special feature will be.

I keep getting in trouble for saying what I think about Nintendo, so all I'll say this time is, Nintendo's car needs to be the Delorean from Back to the Future with 1.21 jigawatts handy, or they're screwed. (No, I'm not referring to the ability to download old Nintendo games.)

Rune75 said:
Honestly, I think the DS is crap. Im much more impressed with the PSP... but I'll stick with my GB Advance SP. And if anyone wants to take a bet for like 8 years from now, I still say that a console after the Revo will be the last for Nintendo. They are already positioning themselves to be the cheap "second system".
they have too much cash to go out that easily

and if its a secondary console, with the formula (360 OR ps2) AND rev, then they will do VERY well.

ryanrule said:
they have too much cash to go out that easily

and if its a secondary console, with the formula (360 OR ps2) AND rev, then they will do VERY well.

I fall into that catagory.. i plan to get eitehr a PS3 or an XBOX360.. but i will definatly get a revolution.. even though i don't know much about it... but i'm sure it will be fun

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
I fall into that catagory.. i plan to get eitehr a PS3 or an XBOX360.. but i will definatly get a revolution.. even though i don't know much about it... but i'm sure it will be fun
i think many people will get it just for the the nes and snes games. some of those are very hard to track down.

i can't believe people still post about the DS at all... yes it plays GBA games, but so does the GBA. plus the original GBA doesn't give me hand cramps trying to play it. The new GBA and the DS both are *made* for 6 year old hands... i'm not a 7 foot man with an 18 inch palm... i'm pretty average, i think... plus it just DOESN'T compare to the PSP. doesn't. no. stop it. you're lying to yourself. I bought both, and i STILL own my PSP. my DS was sold back to the book store after a month of seeing it on my desk and not wanting to play it. the DS is garbage.

as for the revolution, i think they just aren't even near being done. they say they don't want to post a picture of the controller, but that's bullshit. Their main reason is that they don't want anyone to copy it? Microsoft and Sony have BOTH ALREADY shown their controllers. what are theygoing to do? see the nintendo one and OH MY GOD BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD!

i doubt it.

earlier in the year, before E3 i saw a video from nintendo advertising the new console, they didnt call it the revolution then, and it was all cg, but it was a headset that had surround sound speakers and other such cool gimmicks to play games in a sort of virtualy reality standpoint. And then E3 happened, and i was slightly dissappointed that what was there was different from what i saw. I have the feeling as most of you do, that Nintendo is just getting the over bitch slap from Sony and Microsoft. The N64 was a beast, all the games (almost) were awesome, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Zelda and the Ocarina of time, hell even Mario Kart was awesome, not to mention Donkey Kong 64, and who can forget super smash brothers. But once Gamecube, PS2, and XboX came out, nintendo didnt have the awesome edge in games, Halo, GTA, all these mature games that nintendo didnt seem to want to market (the Genre) on their gamecube, I never bought a gamecube because there would only be 3 or 4 games i would play on it, but im thinking about it with the new Zelda coming out. Unless Nintendo has got something up their sleeves for the revolution im in favor, although i dont like it, of the idea that it will go the way of Sega. As for the DS, id rather not comment on it, once again the games for it were cut wayy short, and the PSP, just functions nicer. I feel bad for hardcore nintendo fans from, NES, SNES, GB, and N64 but nitendo wont be lasting much longer.

I have to say that I think the Revolution will fail without the games.

The N64 kicked major ass in my opinion because of the games. In other aspects it failed compared to the playstation.

If Nintendo can get some great games then there is no question in my mind as to what console I will be getting. But im still dissapointed as to little to none information. Didnt nintendo take a long time to release information about N64 as well?

N64 had some awsome games. Is Nintendo trying to repeat that? They did say this will be the console were big ideas prevail over big bugets. I would hope that is true.

Agromahdi123 said:
earlier in the year, before E3 i saw a video from nintendo advertising the new console, they didnt call it the revolution then, and it was all cg, but it was a headset that had surround sound speakers and other such cool gimmicks to play games in a sort of virtualy reality standpoint.

That was a fake video from a Spanish tech production student who was trying to get a job with Nintendo.

It's your fault you fell for it.

Terpfen said:
That was a fake video from a Spanish tech production student who was trying to get a job with Nintendo.

It's your fault you fell for it.
stupid gullible old me...
:rolleyes:

Michael.R said:
I have to say that I think the Revolution will fail without the games.

The N64 kicked major ass in my opinion because of the games. In other aspects it failed compared to the playstation.

If Nintendo can get some great games then there is no question in my mind as to what console I will be getting. But im still dissapointed as to little to none information. Didnt nintendo take a long time to release information about N64 as well?

N64 had some awsome games. Is Nintendo trying to repeat that? They did say this will be the console were big ideas prevail over big bugets. I would hope that is true.

Yes, obviously the console is going to fail without the games, let me guess, college degree? The N64 kicked ass BECAUSE it was all Nintendo made games. Just about every valuable franchise the Playstation has had was ported to the other consoles. I'll literally buy the console just for Zelda because im a freak. And as far as Playstation and Xbox go, you can get either, one way or another you'll get most of the games you want with the exception of a small few.

Now, i fail to see the value to this thread, at least in how it was started, because oddly enough, Sony showed a completely unfinished PS3 off that is quite possibly going to change alot before its released. So whats worse, showing off a product that doesnt exist, or not showing off a product that doesnt exist. The only one right now who has any right is Microsoft.

did they wait too long? no, because that would be impossible, there is nothing more irritating than people arguing about which game/console/car/whatever will be better and neither one is anywhere near release.

i like nintendo....... but that doesnt mean i dont like anything else

i happen to like MGS3, Ninja Gaiden and Resident Evil 4; so you know what... i bought them all along w/ their supporting hardware

consoles dont mean shit, a ps3 by itself is useless garbage, who cares if it plays dvds? you dont have atleast 1 dvd player already? hell i dont even watch dvd movies and i have 8 devices that play dvds

anyways you cant say nintendo isnt a "big dog", the xbox is nearly nonexistant in other parts of the world, and sony manufactures their own hardware and still takes losses

i dont know what im trying to say w/ all that, but this is kind of a stupid thread

Nintendo is making the same mistakes that they made with both the Nintendo 64 and the Gamecube. This is just going to be another downward slope in what has to have been the worst decade in the industry (For them) ever. They're not advertising or showing us any media. They're not telling us why we should buy the Revolution. They're not even telling us why in the hell we should care.

Microsoft and Sony are spouting PR nonsense like there is no tomorrow, but at least they have some substance to back it up. What we have from Nintendo is a collection of wishy-washy specs with nothing else to back them up. No controller. No games. No interest.

Personally, I refuse to play this "Wait and See" bullshit again. I've done it with the Gamecube since launch and I'm not going to do it again. "Wait and See" is basically "Wait for us to regurgitate a sequel to our top three games, then repeat the cycle". Capcom was their big exclusive third-party with Resident Evil 4 and now they have lost that. RE4 will sell better on the PS2 because of the larger userbase; Capcom already knows this, which is why RE5 is planned for the X360/PS3.

WickedAngel said:
Nintendo is making the same mistakes that they made with both the Nintendo 64 and the Gamecube. This is just going to be another downward slope in what has to have been the worst decade in the industry (For them) ever. They're not advertising or showing us any media. They're not telling us why we should buy the Revolution. They're not even telling us why in the hell we should care.

Microsoft and Sony are spouting PR nonsense like there is no tomorrow, but at least they have some substance to back it up. What we have from Nintendo is a collection of wishy-washy specs with nothing else to back them up. No controller. No games. No interest.

Personally, I refuse to play this "Wait and See" bullshit again. I've done it with the Gamecube since launch and I'm not going to do it again. "Wait and See" is basically "Wait for us to regurgitate a sequel to our top three games, then repeat the cycle". Capcom was their big exclusive third-party with Resident Evil 4 and now they have lost that. RE4 will sell better on the PS2 because of the larger userbase; Capcom already knows this, which is why RE5 is planned for the X360/PS3.

Same can be put to many many Playstation titles. All 3 GTA titles, Metal Gear Solid, come to mind. They lost square enix and FF as an exclusive since they're hard working on an Xbox360 only title.

Sony apparently dropped all its brains on the floor with the PS3. They incooperated the latest, PPU, that POS 6 way processor, gave nVidia no time to make them a dedicated GPU so they got stuck with a reworked G70 (which is actually a saving grace). From what developers have been saying its a fuggin nightmare to program all that into games within a reasonable time. Microsoft went the opposite way and already, before the consoles are released, they're getting ALOT of interest from the huge japanese Playstation game developers. They got Quake 4 right off the bat. Theres 2 options with either console, program for the fancy stuff, take longer, or take the porgram friendly console which will look just as good. I think we're gonna see developers go one way or the other and not both quite a bit. And if they do go both, it will be Xbox360 titles ported to PS3 so nothing unique to the PS3 will be used.

Point is, if anyone should be getting chewed out right now, its problably sony. Nintendo is doing something niether bad or good right now.

bjork said:
i can't believe people still post about the DS at all... yes it plays GBA games, but so does the GBA. plus the original GBA doesn't give me hand cramps trying to play it. The new GBA and the DS both are *made* for 6 year old hands... i'm not a 7 foot man with an 18 inch palm... i'm pretty average, i think... plus it just DOESN'T compare to the PSP. doesn't. no. stop it. you're lying to yourself. I bought both, and i STILL own my PSP. my DS was sold back to the book store after a month of seeing it on my desk and not wanting to play it. the DS is garbage.

as for the revolution, i think they just aren't even near being done. they say they don't want to post a picture of the controller, but that's bullshit. Their main reason is that they don't want anyone to copy it? Microsoft and Sony have BOTH ALREADY shown their controllers. what are theygoing to do? see the nintendo one and OH MY GOD BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD!

i doubt it.

The nintendo DS is not made for 6 year old hands.. NIntendos target market for the nintendo DS is late teens and 20s...

i don't know what you're talking about

Shifra said:
Same can be put to many many Playstation titles. All 3 GTA titles, Metal Gear Solid, come to mind. They lost square enix and FF as an exclusive since they're hard working on an Xbox360 only title.

Sony is already in a good position. They're not the ones playing catch-up. They can afford to lose a few properties because all of their efforts aren't completely based around the success of those three games you mentioned.

I'm no fan of Sony, but at least I've had something worth playing on my PS2 consistantly. It was a paperweight for the first nine months but things have been steady sine then.

Sony can lose marketshare and still be in a superb position. Nintendo can't afford to lose anymore, but that is exactly what they're setting themselves up to do.

arman01 said:
you just want all the good nintendo games on your psX, xbox x.

fat chance of that for a VERY long time. nintendo has quite sizable cash reserves, it would take awhile to ge trid of them, AND GUESS WHAT, THEY MADE MONEY ON THE N64/CUBE, AND ITS HARD TO GO OUT OF BUSINESS MAKING MONEY

i don't understand why people think nintendo is going to die out or something. sure they're not as successful as xbox or ps but they have an incredibly loyal fan base and they have people who are willing to buy their consoles solely for the franchise titles. even if they don't have 3rd party games the revolution will make money, if not that much, and they'll still profit.

i don't see anywhere in this picture that nintendo has ever lost money on any platform (maybe virtual boy)

bjork said:

i doubt it.

What the hell kind of hands do you have? I have average size hands (whatever the measurements are for that) and I've never gotten hand cramps. And who compared it to the PSP? The two are completely different. The only things they really have in common are the fact that they're handheld and play games. Thats where the similarities stop.

Back