• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Has Microsoft Redeemed Itself?

I loved Vista and dropped XP within a week of its release. 7 is good too, but I'm not in a hurry to upgrade all of my systems.

Perhaps a better question would be "has Microsoft's marketing team redeemed themselves?"

You must have joined us after Vista SP1.

I used Vista since RC2... and it was very unreliable until SP1. Of course, NV's HORRIBLE drivers are mostly to blame... but that doesn't change the fact that the experience was very nasty.
 
You must have joined us after Vista SP1.

I used Vista since RC2... and it was very unreliable until SP1. Of course, NV's HORRIBLE drivers are mostly to blame... but that doesn't change the fact that the experience was very nasty.

I've never had any problems with NV's drivers in Vista
 
If you feel your head involuntarily nodding right now, you are probably a Windows 7 user.
What if you're also a Windows Mobile User? That OS is worse then Windows ME.
 
I've never had any problems with NV's drivers in Vista

Then you obviously used Vista after SP1. Trust me, Vista was bad. It's worse then diarrhea coming out of your mouth, when you have a sore throat. I still remember the slow coping and moving of files, and the frequent system crashing. Course, that was all fixed after SP1, but wouldn't that mean that Vista was still in Beta even after it went for sale?
 
The amazing thing about windows 7 is that once I upgraded to it on my T61, my desire for a SSD went way, way down. It is so damn fast that I literally can't imagine a SSD being any faster except on massive file transfers. Latency is just a non-issue. The windows appear as fast as I can click them.

Trust me it is even better with an SSD. I can't even double click on a program, move the cursor to the next program, and start double clicking the second before the first program finish loading.
 
I like Microsoft a lot more right now than I did a few years ago.

Windows 7 is a great OS, the best they've ever released, imho.

The Zune HD and the Zune Software are excellent

and I really like what I've seen and used of Office 2010.

I'd say that as a company that makes products, they are in a different place now than they have been in the past. Now they just need to make Windows Mobile 7 a fantastic OS and I think they'll be in good shape.

They've broken apple's hold on me (for now).. so we'll see how that goes.
 
I've never had any problems with NV's drivers in Vista

There early ones were pretty bad. They shaped up to pretty close to what we consider the norm for Nv drivers a couple months after Vista launched.
 
You must have joined us after Vista SP1.

Nope. I switched right around the consumer launch. I don't own any Nvidia graphics cards though.

I used Vista since RC2... and it was very unreliable until SP1. Of course, NV's HORRIBLE drivers are mostly to blame... but that doesn't change the fact that the experience was very nasty.

The operating system was fine. Its not Microsoft's fault that Nvidia and Creative took 6+ months to put out non-shitty graphics/audio drivers.

I didn't have any problems with Nvidia chipsets though. All my machines around that time were Athlon 64 based with 1-2 GB RAM, Nvidia or Intel chipsets, and ATI graphics. I've never had a bluescreen on Vista that wasn't caused by bad RAM or overclocking.
 
Nope. I switched right around the consumer launch. I don't own any Nvidia graphics cards though.



The operating system was fine. Its not Microsoft's fault that Nvidia and Creative took 6+ months to put out non-shitty graphics/audio drivers.

I didn't have any problems with Nvidia chipsets though. All my machines around that time were Athlon 64 based with 1-2 GB RAM, Nvidia or Intel chipsets, and ATI graphics. I've never had a bluescreen on Vista that wasn't caused by bad RAM or overclocking.

Eh that's only partly true. Microsoft changed the way audio and DirectSound is used in Vista at the last minute, leaving Creative to scramble to write another driver. But they did have several months to do it though, but still..
 
I first used Vista Home Premium 32-bit before standalone copies were sold. Circuit City and some other places were able to sell OEM machines with Vista installed, so I picked up a Vista laptop. Now, perhaps it's because it had an ATI video solution - but I never had any problems with Vista at all. No weird crashes or odd problems, none of that. Really never understood what people bitched about. It was either "ZOMG VISTA EATS ALL MAH RAMZ!!" or "Um, I'm an idiot and didn't read the hardware requirements before I bought my copy of Vista.". I used Vista from before launch up until a few months ago when 7 released. I ended Vista with Vista Business x64. I lived through both service packs and never went crazy. I was a bit worried when I first switched to x64, but the worry was for nothing...I had absolutely zero problems with software compatibility or drivers or anything.

With that said, XP was fine, but in my experience was much buggier initially than Vista. The service packs fixed most issues I had, but I had an OS failure during installation of service pack 1 for XP, so I held off for a bit. I had an initial fear of installing SP1 on Vista because of the problem I had with XP - but everything went smoothly with Vista. *Shrugs*
 
It has certainly been easier to get cheap copies of Win7 also. I remember looking high and low for a copy of XP pro for less than $100. My school is on the MSDNAA list now, for a while IEEE and ACM had tons of copies of win7 available (until rampant registration of non-students and IT professionals killed it), the Win7 family pack is a good deal.

It seems like they've really made a push to get 7 adopted by, if not lowering their straightforward prices, making it much easier for students and others to get a cheap copy of win7.
 
I've tried Windows 7 beta and I love it. Took some time to learn how to do basic administering stuff, but nothing the internet can't help with. Will be getting it for my coming build.

In fact just last Wednesday the head of IT dept informed us that the company is going to start deploying Windows 7 in the organization by the first half of next year.

Yeah, I guess MS is finally getting it right.

Not to say Vista was flawed, but I think the vista capable system stuff wasn't implemented well enough, resulting in people running it on a less than optimal system, hence all the bad comments about Vista which spread like a wildfire from mouth to mouth
 
In order to redeem themselves MS would have had to do something wrong that therefore required redemption. I ran Vista on all my PCs and I can honestly say that the only OS I have used that is better than Vista is Windows 7. So, no they have not redeemed themselves, they have just improved on a good thing.
 
microsoft screwed up when they let XP be their moneymaker for how long? over a decade? thats another reason vista was so ill-received.
 
To make up for Vista they should sell Windows 7 upgrades for the same price as OS X.
 
Vista was fine. I wouldn't say they redeemed themselves, but rather they fooled the public into believing they did. Vista haters were uninformed, not tech-savvy, and/or victims of blind brand loyalty.
I agree, and I like the way you put that.

Microsoft owes me a free copy of Win 7 after I paid for this shit storm of an OS, Vista
Self-entitlement is not your friend. No one owes you anything just because you made a bad decision. Next time you go on the bleeding edge, expect to see some blood.

Then you obviously used Vista after SP1. Trust me, Vista was bad. It's worse then diarrhea coming out of your mouth, when you have a sore throat. I still remember the slow coping and moving of files, and the frequent system crashing. Course, that was all fixed after SP1, but wouldn't that mean that Vista was still in Beta even after it went for sale?
No, just that you were in that 5% of configuration that had those problems. but you need to move on, because every OS had its issues before the first service pack. It's known that OS's have issues before the first service pack. Yet you decided to get it before SP1 and then wanna act surprised when stuff goes wrong?

Eh that's only partly true. Microsoft changed the way audio and DirectSound is used in Vista at the last minute, leaving Creative to scramble to write another driver. But they did have several months to do it though, but still..
I would love to see some linkage for this, because I was under the impression that the revamped way the audio system worked was known for awhile before it was released. I'm trying to figure out where this "they told everyone at the last minute" came from.

microsoft screwed up when they let XP be their moneymaker for how long? over a decade? thats another reason vista was so ill-received.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. I would never believe I'd hear someone say that operating system software that lasted for 10+ years is a "screw-up". Who said XP was their moneymaker also? Unless I'm not understanding what you mean by money-maker.

To make up for Vista they should sell Windows 7 upgrades for the same price as OS X.
Apparently you have never heard of digital river. I paid $30 for my copy. I think L4D2 COD:MW2 cost more than that on release.
 
I thought they redeemed themselves for WinMe with 2k and Xp. Vista, did not require redemption imho. Win 7 is a truly great OS, but that does not make Vista suddenly suck. The Mojave experiment showed most of the popular hatred for Vista was just bs. many people hated it cause everyone else said it sucks, many other because it was not Xp. I don't really think MS needs to redeem themselves for what was, by and large, mob ignorance and/or hatred of change.

You speak the truth.
 
I would love to see some linkage for this, because I was under the impression that the revamped way the audio system worked was known for awhile before it was released. I'm trying to figure out where this "they told everyone at the last minute" came from.
Creative Labs had approximately a year from the time it was known publicly that the stack was being overhauled to the release of Vista. In other words, they had a real damn long time to work with Microsoft.
 
I agree, and I like the way you put that.


Self-entitlement is not your friend. No one owes you anything just because you made a bad decision. Next time you go on the bleeding edge, expect to see some blood.


No, just that you were in that 5% of configuration that had those problems. but you need to move on, because every OS had its issues before the first service pack. It's known that OS's have issues before the first service pack. Yet you decided to get it before SP1 and then wanna act surprised when stuff goes wrong?


I would love to see some linkage for this, because I was under the impression that the revamped way the audio system worked was known for awhile before it was released. I'm trying to figure out where this "they told everyone at the last minute" came from.


If it ain't broke don't fix it. I would never believe I'd hear someone say that operating system software that lasted for 10+ years is a "screw-up". Who said XP was their moneymaker also? Unless I'm not understanding what you mean by money-maker.


Apparently you have never heard of digital river. I paid $30 for my copy. I think L4D2 COD:MW2 cost more than that on release.

I cannot find information about the last minute claim, but here's a tidbit about Creative's "blundered" developing drivers when Vista launched.

http://forums.creative.com/t5/Windows-Vista/Audio-in-Windows-Vista/m-p/302341
 
Creative Labs had approximately a year from the time it was known publicly that the stack was being overhauled to the release of Vista. In other words, they had a real damn long time to work with Microsoft.

I cannot find information about the last minute claim, but here's a tidbit about Creative's "blundered" developing drivers when Vista launched.

http://forums.creative.com/t5/Windows-Vista/Audio-in-Windows-Vista/m-p/302341

Interesting, I remembered reading the summary of an article similar to this when it had happened. I can't believe I I stopped following the issue since I did have a X-Fi at the time.
 
I personally will not go back to XP. Vista worked great for me and 7 works even better.
 
Back
Top